Author Topic: 450 Lyman --- HELP !!!  (Read 553 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
450 Lyman --- HELP !!!
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »
Ok guys , I'm new to using this machine , all of my lubing to this point has either been pan or the Lee Alox . The problem I have is that this thing came with almost a full stick of Cooper-Woodward ( black ) Perfect Lube already in it .

I HATE the stuff , can't get it to fill the groves , it sticks to everything BUT the bullet groves and it gums up the die to the point that if I try to seat a bullet all that happens is that the bullet will stick to the seater stim and pull back out of the case as the ram lowers .

I did pick up some diffrent lube sticks for the 450 , some that is not quite so tacky but works like a champ as a pan lube and have worked most all the old black stuff out , however there is still some in the machine and its making me up-set ( being nice here  >:( ) .

Am I missing something here ? Do I not have the lube at the proper temp ? or is there something else that I'm missing ? I keep the room at between 68 and 70 Deg. you would think that should be OK .

Help me out here guys before it gets tossed out a 2nd story window -- PLEASE

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: 450 Lyman --- HELP !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
ok Stimpy you helped me with the lead ladel so it my turn to help you first get a 5 gal steel bucket open the luber where you put the lube in take the die out if you have a turkey fryer put the 5 gal bucket with  the luber in it and the die fill with water til it is 1 or 2 inches above the luber and put it on the turkey fryer and boil that mess out of the luber or put it on the kitchen stove with the wife's ok skim as much of the old lube off the top of the water after it cools then take out the luber dry it with a air hose get all the water out of it put in fresh lube and you are on the way to happy bullets D Crockett

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
DC

Thanks for the idea , may just have to try it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »
I've said it before and will repeat it again. I gave my Lyman 450 away and bought an RCBS. Won't ever have another Lyman 450 in my house. But yes it takes heat to get the rest of it out whatever way you wanna apply it there must be heat to get it out. That temp is a bit cooler than I prefer to run a luber also. They make a lube heater for that purpose. I've been known to use an old hair drier for the purpose. You don't really have to keep it on full time just from time to time as it cools back down turn it back on and have it run the heat onto the luber.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
That hair dryer trick does work! I've used a compact travel model for over 15years with my 450 Lyman. Can't afford to throw the Lyman out, but if it ever dies, I just might have to get an RCBS.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:38:49 AM »
like any lubesizer, even my beloved stars, its a fine balancing act between pressure, heat and die adjustment. Mostly its just a learning curve that you will have to experience. I agree that you problem is probably mostly a temp one and that a heater on a lubesizer is almost a necessity. You can get by with the blow dryer or light bulb thing but what happens then is you just swing from to hot to to cold. A thermostaticly controled lube heater is much better. Midway used to sell one fairly cheap. Ive even see guys make them out of cloths irons but thats probably more expensive then buying the proper one. I to got tired of the idiosyncracys of the lyman but didnt find the rcbs much better. Its a bit stouter but just as slow and cumbersome to operate and change calibers on. I always tell people the best two things i ever did was buy a star and my first dillon press.
blue lives matter