Author Topic: ar15 to m16??  (Read 1620 times)

Offline bigchast1

• Trade Count: (0)
ar15 to m16??
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
I have a Ar 15 that I'd like to make full auto. Besides all the legal mumbo-jumbo, can I put M16 guts into my AR lower? If so what will work and what will I need to change, or is there an easier way. Thanks

Offline S.S.

Re: ar15 to m16??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »
10 years , $10,000 fine or both ....... Ouch!
I believe that more than just parts would be needed.
A machine shop would be needed to modify the receiver properly
I think.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »
some receivers will accept a m16 trigger group some will need a bit of metal removed to make room for it. Examine the rules very carefully  you may not have to installt it to be guilty.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
Don't even think about it unless you have some great need or desire to be Bubba's little girlfriend in Leavenworth.

So the answer is: NO YOU CAN'T!!!!!

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:00:41 AM »
I have a Ar 15 that I'd like to make full auto. Besides all the legal mumbo-jumbo, can I put M16 guts into my AR lower? If so what will work and what will I need to change, or is there an easier way. Thanks

I would assume this forum has a terms of use policy that prohibits illegal discussion. There are three parts to change. It is illegal to have a full auto sear if you own the rifle it can be installed in without paperwork.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:47:27 AM »
dont hold me to this but to own a full auto and licence it i believe it had to be made originaly as a full auto so any ar15 would be illegal no matter what you added unless its an ar that was originaly made for a police dept that was select fire from the factory.
blue lives matter

Offline bigchast1

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:04:31 AM »
the reason i ask, is that myself and a friend found at his grandparents estate sale 3000+ rounds of 223 blanks, and a device to install on the end of the barrel to show is it not shooting live rounds.  we were going to load up the drum mags we have and make the night light up with the starbursts'. he has a m16 and alot of extra parts except for recievers.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:38:35 AM »
 Still illegal with blanks my friend, so I wont post how to convert. Here is a legal option you may consider.
http://www.ar15.com/content/products/triggers/gat/
BTW that devise on the end is there to increase back pressure so the action will cycle.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline bigchast1

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »
What kind of paper and price tag am I looking at for a ClassIII M16? I'm in NC.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »
A guy on another forum payed i think around 10k for an M16 , it took him at least 4 months to get his paperwork back.
He then said you better have deep pockets for the ammo it uses ,and it wasn't all that accurate.
I wouldn't even think about messing with anything ;like this with out doing it by the book , you couldn't shoot it without looking over your shoulder all the time.
It just isnt worth it at all , LEOs are up on this stuff ,they are not ignorant to the laws.                                                                       If you even own the gun ,and the parts separate its still a crime ,it shows intent.
You haven't gained as much as you think eiather , i sold both of my Class 3, FAs in 1994 , to a Sheriffs Dept. in Texas.
I never missed them , accuracy is more important to me , i would rather have the AR15 with a good sight than to spray and pray.
Ammo is far to precious a commodity now to waist it .
Lloyd is right ,you cant own a Class 3 made after 1986 unless you are a dealer with post samples ,or LE or Millitary.
This is why you see LE agencys buying NIB MP5s for $650.00 , a worn out one to you can be as high as 10k easily.
This is why a lot of guys only buy the sear , if you bought the sear for an H&K ,it could go between any H&K you owned because the sear has the Ser#.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline bigchast1

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
well, after a little more research and a few posts i am done with the thought of this thanks for pointing me in the right direction. on to new post!

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »
If I am not mistaken, all you need is the proper paperwork filled out and approved, and with a $200.00 tax "stamp" you can register an M16.
Another is an FAQ thread on the subject
http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-title-ii-34/5951-quick-faqs-related-machine-guns-suppressors.html

Also tons of information at http://www.ar15.com

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 04:14:15 AM »
had a buddy get raided by the batf. Its a long story i wont go into but he had an ar with just the bump filed on on the saftey and they said it was a gun altered to select fire and confinscated it. It took almost 2 years for him to get that gun back. the batf doesnt fart around with this. Its just not worth the hastle. Sure you can get a permit to own for 200 bucks but who can afford 10 graind for a gun. NOT ME!
blue lives matter

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
since you already have the blanks ,just get yourself a AR15 golf ball launcher and some golf balls.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
there is some law that says no more machine guns may be manufactured for the civilian market. So, you cannot make your own M16. There is no legal way to do it. You CAN buy one already made but the prices are rediculously high.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 06:10:13 AM »
Even possesion of some M16 Parrts without the proper registration is Illegal. If you are asking such questions.. Don't do it.. If you must have a full auto.. Takeout a home equity loan. and visit a class three dealer. You can buy one of those neat little gatling gun that use two ruger 10/22 connected together..

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »
I do remember that my Army Issue rifle said AR15 on it if memory serves!

Offline Pvt.Joker

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
I do remember that my Army Issue rifle said AR15 on it if memory serves!

I "think" that the original designation for the Army issued weapon WAS Ar-15. The history of the weapon is longer and more convoluted then most.
Mark