Author Topic: please humor me ??  (Read 591 times)

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
please humor me ??
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
my son has a nef 3" 20 gauge.he has asked me if he can use other barrels on it,rifle calibers i am assuming.i am not familiar with the nef and their barrel exchange properties,anyone?thx,adker

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: please humor me ??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
shot gun barrels only on SB1 frames. Assuming the gun he has is all original then he can NOT have a rifle barrel fitted to it. This is covered in the FAQ's. If you go to the H&R web page, then customer support, then accessory barrel program, it will tell you what barrels can be fitted to which frames. Most rifles have SB2 frames, there are some exceptions like the 357 or 44 rifles which carry a warning about this. JamesIII

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:32:43 AM »
JamesIII has the straight scoop there.  Best to call H&R and talk to them direct, with serial number in hand.  They should be able to tell you if for sure.  At one time they would do .30-30, .22 Hornet and .44 Magnum on the SB1 shotgun frames, but that was quite a number of years ago.  I don't know what the policy is now that Remington has taken over.

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »

Your son has asked a very mature and responsible question. For that you should buy him a .30-30 Handi Rifle for Christmas.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
If it is indeed a shotgun frame he can't have rifle barrels fitted, he can however have all other shotgun barrels fitted except the 10 gauge.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
At one time they would do .30-30, .22 Hornet and .44 Magnum on the SB1 shotgun frames, but that was quite a number of years ago.  I don't know what the policy is now that Remington has taken over.

-Winter Hawk-

That would have been by the defunct H&R that went out of business in 1986, they didn't have a frame designation of SB1 or SB2, all frames were cast iron, pretty much one size fits all. H&R1871 has never fitted rifle barrels to SB1 frames(unless you consider the 410/45Colt barrel a rifle barrel  :)) until this year, and then only with modification of the frame and firing pin which are production guns only, even those are limited to the rifle barrel they come with or shotgun barrels, they still won't fit SB1 frames with accessory barrels tho.  Heck, Remington won't fit any acc rifle barrels to some of the SB2 frames(W&H) made by H&R1871!!  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
thanks,i thought that was the case.last year for christmas both boys got g2 30/30's.they also both got new barrels this year.my oldest son is saving for a 45/70 barrel and thought he might be able to get one quicker going this rte.one is 14 the other is 10,thanks again,adker

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
Adiron ,

Take your boy around to all the local pawn haunts and gun shops with said 20 gauge in hand ,With the saved barrel fund in wallet and see what you all can get your boy into ...One of my local pawn haunts has 7 Handis  (some used ,some new) and the prices range from $200 to $250ish  with a good 20 ga trade in and some cash i dont see why he cant get into what he is wanting ;) .  Especially with most modern deer hunting out of the way for another year ..I would think them to be ready to deal .

Just a thought ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason