Author Topic: Who has a Handi in 500 S&W  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Outlaw249

• Trade Count: (2)
Who has a Handi in 500 S&W
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:28:24 AM »
I'm thinking about getting one in 500 S&W for hog hunting and was wanting to know peoples openion on them.
And what do you think the max range is on one.
The .17s may be all the rage today, but it's the .22 Magnums and their heavier bullets that will bring home the bacon.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Who has a Handi in 500 S&W
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:56:39 AM »
Do a search here on the site for the .500 and read through some of the threads.
Some people have had good luck with it and some have cursed it.
It does seem to be a good big game cartridge if you can get one to shoot well and I'm sure it would smack the heck out of a porker.
For the sake of argument... have you given thought to the 45-70?
They are very good shooters and seem to be virtually trouble free. (never had any trouble with mine)
If you ask Handi shooters which they would choose... Most would probably pick the 45-70.

Spanky

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:12:15 AM »
I like my 500, it shoots cast bullets very well.  Off hand at 25 yards it will clover leaf 3 round.  I have a peep and post sight set up, and seems to work well.  I dont like shooting it off the bench, off hand isnt bad.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »
i have one , got it with shooting pigs in mind, but even though i've not shot it yet i'll probibly get rid of it and buy a 45-70. i just like it
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »

I've tossed the idea back and forth since they were introduced. I guess I just like the idea of a .50 Handi, but I think the 45/70 is the better choice. It can be loaded first or second level to suit the situation or your tastes and there is a huge choice of bullets to be had for the reloader. My favorite 45/70 load is a 460gr. Cast Performance bullet over 38.0gr. of RL-7. It's extremely accurate and there aren't too many critters that can't be dropped with that load.
Don

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
I have 1 in 500 S&W, and 3 in 45-70.  The 45-70 is more versatile, but there is just something about getting the drool knocked out your mouth that makes the 500 so much fun.  Seriously, the 500 is a knock down champ up to 100 yds or so.  It punches big holes in bambi.  I prefer both, I guess is what I'm trying to say, but the 45-70 maybe just a bit more.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
I've got a Handi-Rifle chambered in 500 S&W and really like it. It was the gun I used this year for deer hunting. I fired three shots and got three deer. Shots ranged from 50 yards to 140 yards. One was a good 8-pointer at 125 yards, see avatar.
I installed a scout style scope mount and a 1.5-4X Burris handgun scope, this eliminates Scope Brow! ;D
I load the Remington 385 grain Ultra Bonded Core-Lokt bullet to 2000 fps with Lil'Gun powder and it'll keep'em inside 2" @ 100 yards.

I've also got a 45-70 barrel for this rifle that will outshoot the 500 but I have taken a liking to the bigger bore!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I have one but haven't worked with it yet.
I did test fire it a few times to see what the recoil was like.
I don't think it kicks as much as my 450 marlin barrel.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:46:13 PM »
Outlaw  ,

I have done a bit of research on the 500 S&W versus the 45/70 and when you look at cost of the 500's ammo versus the 45/70 and they are pretty much equals in most regards when energy and velocity is looked at on paper with the edge to the 45 Gov. ....But after considering a 500 listed in the classifieds here and comparing it to the ballistics of the 45/70 i couldnt validate its need over the many plus marks the 45 Gov. has.....

Go with the old 45/70 ... You can actually get better energy out of the 45/70 even with factory loads and if you happen to be a reloader ,You can get the 45/70 up to safari class levels

As far as accuracy and reliability goes .. I hear from the boys here they are serious shooters , Some here use the 45/70 for 1000 yard shoots  ... So a 100 yrd pig isnt a challenge i think ;)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=915141      Check out the FPS and Muzzle energy of the 500 corbon 350gr

Versus the same weight grain in 45/70 from corbon    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=638511

For what its worth thats my thought on it .. Hope it helps .

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
Those are 500 pistol velocities tho, rifle velocity is quite a bit better, probably comparable to the 350gr Hornady at over 2000fps, I get 2150fps with Lil'gun handloaded 350gr XTPs in my 500 H&R, ~2300fps is doable in the 45-70 with 350gr bullets.

Tim

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_53/ai_n16866654/pg_4?tag=artBody;col1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 02:51:35 AM »
I have one to. I like it a lot. I also have a couple 45-70's. I like them as well but shoot he 500 more. It frusterated me for a while with inconsistant accuracy. But Tims excellent recomendation of Ranger Ricks Cast bollits solved that issue right quick!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
well heck you talked me into it maybe i'll just keep the 50 cal and buy a 45-70 can't hurt to have both.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »
Outlaw249, welcome to GBO, I have both the 45/70 and 500 mag., as far as the 500 goes I like it its a great brush gun and open shots 150-175 yards, most of the deer I kill are 100 yards or less either the 45/70 or 500 will do the job great I am not hunting big corn or soybean Fields with these rifles, I would just say take your pick for hog hunting either one will do the job, I like the 500 better on deer every deer I have shot with it they have been Bang-Flop on the ground, I have a few run with the 45/70 but it could have been the shot I made, I found all of them close, The only draw back to the 500 I see is if you don't reload is the price of Hornady ammo, $50.00 or more a box. I killed a 8-point about two weeks ago with my 500 mag at about 100 yards, one shot buck on the ground. Buy all the Handi-Rifles you can.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »
well heck you talked me into it maybe i'll just keep the 50 cal and buy a 45-70 can't hurt to have both.

Now thats a handihaulic way of thinking!! ::) ;D ;)

(I have both as well!!)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 05:54:30 PM »
i  have  both

and  i  am  a handiholic

they  don't  make the  500  in BC   or  ss varmint

so  the  45-70........or  a matched  pair  in blue...or....
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
I have both a 45-70 and a 500, love both, but the 500 has a muzzle break on it, good investment.  Both have a place, I also have a 30-30.  Life is good.

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup