Author Topic: Does With Yearlings  (Read 5698 times)

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Does With Yearlings
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »
i usually pass on the does with fawns unless I'm bow hunting. bow hunting I'm not so picky. i live here in Alabama so there will be plenty of opportunity's,  but when i lived in new jersey hunting public land i would have definitely shot the doe.

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
  Well, I'm really going to ruffle some feathers here. About 90% of the posters said kill one or both. Are you guys so eager to pull the trigger on something? Are you starving? I, for about 7 weeks, have watched a mother/daughter come to my feeder and never once thought about raising my rifle; just couldn't do it. I would rather go buy some hamburger than kill something like that and I like venison. On previous leases I have seen fawns brought in that I could lift with almost one arm; is this what you are condoning to fill your face? I'm sorry, but the deer I shoot will be 4yrs. or more and not have a yearling with it. Kix

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Are you guys so eager to pull the trigger on something? Are you starving?

Usually I don't have the audacity to say anything that could be construed as critical of another's opinion... but, I'm getting things ready for tomorrows New Year's Day meal and I always got to drink when I cook!  And I ain't got no sense when I drink!  ;D  Soooo, since you opted to criticize others for their legal behavior, that behavior must involve a moral issue in your view.  Now I have never been accused of being overly moral, but I shall go right now to the fawn's leg I have marinating and apologise to it.   :-[  And I'll never eat a leg of lamb or veal again!  Okay that's a lie...  ::)

have watched a mother/daughter

???  Oh, you mean a doe and fawn!  You know, there is a word for the attributing human terminology to animals... wish I could remember what it was...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
And I ain't got no sense when I drink!   ;D

As iffen ya do when ya not drinkin?  :o  ???

??? Oh, you mean a doe and fawn!  You know, there is a word for the attributing human terminology to animals... wish I could remember what it was...   :-\

Got sumpin to do with that Disney character name Walt don't it?  ::)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Casull

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
Well, I'm really going to ruffle some feathers here. About 90% of the posters said kill one or both. Are you guys so eager to pull the trigger on something? Are you starving? I, for about 7 weeks, have watched a mother/daughter come to my feeder and never once thought about raising my rifle; just couldn't do it. I would rather go buy some hamburger than kill something like that and I like venison. On previous leases I have seen fawns brought in that I could lift with almost one arm; is this what you are condoning to fill your face? I'm sorry, but the deer I shoot will be 4yrs. or more and not have a yearling with it. Kix

Well, if I was "hunting" over a feeder on a lease, I sure wouldn't be throwing any stones.  Four years or one year, it's a deer, and how you hunt is more important to determining "trophy status" to me than the size of the antlers.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »

Maybe a website about hunting is a little extreme for you.  This site should be more your style.  http://www.peta2.com/

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
AtlLaw I know how all you scooter trash are with that drinking and all. Yall steal children and sell them also. ;D     Kix sell your version of the story but don't paint everyone who wishes to take a deer with a fawn as villians.  If morality was the point I would say that mine and your outlook is the the worst because we are killing more for the sport than the meat.  I figure beef is about $40-$50 dollars a pound cheaper than deer meat anyway. 

P.S. Nothing wrong with hunting deer under feeders either.  I would rather scout, find my deer, put up a portable stand, and hope I did my homework right.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »
  I figure beef is about $40-$50 dollars a pound cheaper than deer meat anyway. 

amen brotha
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
Yeah, hunting deer over food plots specifically planted for the deer or hunting off of a famer's corn field is not the same as using a "feeder".......yeah, sure right  ::) And large bucks just walk right up to the feeder, despite your scent, your noise, and movements, even let you pet them on the head before you shoot them!...yeah, sure right  ::)   

Do people use bare hooks when they fish, too? You don't want to be accused of baiting!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
kix,
You better import some bigger deer and quit hunting those asian pygmy variety if it takes 4 years and a feeder to boot to get any size to them.
I suppose you don't like veal or lamb either?
It's ok to be different from some of us, I guess you're just a "selective" killer... :o
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
I guess it depends on how many seer you see. If you get a lot of chances at nice mature deer pass and shoot the next one. But where I hunt Im really lucky to see a deer so i take every opportunity i get. Just my opinion.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
Are you starving? I, for about 7 weeks, have watched a mother/daughter come to my feeder and never once thought about raising my rifle; just couldn't do it. I would rather go buy some hamburger than kill something like that and I like venison.

Mother/Daughter - I like that Kix. :D Even my 6-year-old daughter sees them as a Doe and a Fawn or yearling. My family is not starving, it's just that my baby girl really likes the young ones. Seems they are easier for her to chew. I agree with her. Everyone knows that you can't say no to your baby girl, so when she requests that Daddy bring her home a nice tender Bambi, how can I refuse?  ;)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Casull

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
Yeah, hunting deer over food plots specifically planted for the deer or hunting off of a famer's corn field is not the same as using a "feeder".......yeah, sure right 

Well, except for the fact that you can't put a timer on a food plot or corn field so that it only dispenses food during daylight hours.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

Yeah, hunting deer over food plots specifically planted for the deer or hunting off of a famer's corn field is not the same as using a "feeder".......yeah, sure right 

Well, except for the fact that you can't put a timer on a food plot or corn field so that it only dispenses food during daylight hours.   ::)

No different. Deer movement hours and habits are the same rather it be a feeder or soybean field. If deer ain't moving they don't hit feeders or fields and vice versa. Whether it be a feeder or crop field, the hunter uses it to attract deer by the intentional use of a food source.

Offline Casull

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
No different. Deer movement hours and habits are the same rather it be a feeder or soybean field. If deer ain't moving they don't hit feeders or fields and vice versa. Whether it be a feeder or crop field, the hunter uses it to attract deer by the intentional use of a food source.

Well, obviously you don't watch those hunting shows where they know the approximate time that the deer will show, as they've become conditioned to the time the feeder spews out corn (if they don't show up about that time, then no food since the hogs, turkeys, etc. will have cleaned it up).   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:51 AM »
Food plots are not the same as hunting over feeders. I have never seen a deer jump up and go to a food plot at the sound of the breeze blowing thru a field of peas or wheat. My old lease that I dearly miss was cornered into a large commercial operation. The feeders would go off to the southeast of my stand on the other lease and the parade started thru the persimmon thicket I was hunting. They would even stop feeding on the persimmons that they loved to head to those feeders. Let's get back to hunting does and fawns.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:52 AM »
Happy new year every body!  Hope yesterday was fun for all.

Some of my kids and Granbabies and my Club chapter were over for my traditional New Year's Day meal.  The leg of fawn was slow roasted to perfection  8) and even the "venison is to gamey" crowd went back for seconds!  Not a bit left over!  Course they also ate all the collards, hog jowls, ham and limas, black eyed peas and cornbread!

I've only got 2 more weekends of deer season left.   :(  I sure hope a doe and fawn come by my stand when I get back in the woods!   ;D  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
Are you starving? I, for about 7 weeks, have watched a mother/daughter come to my feeder and never once thought about raising my rifle; just couldn't do it.o buy some hamburger than kill something like that and I like venison. Kix

What, you don't think they ever butcher cows that have calves less than one year old? Wake up my friend.

On previous leases I have seen fawns brought in that I could lift with almost one arm; is this what you are condoning to fill your face? I'm sorry, but the deer I shoot will be 4yrs. or more and not have a yearling with it. Kix

Most young of the year are perfectly capable of caring for themselves by the time hunting season rolls around. Kinda why hunting seasons are created. Deer herd with many others that are not from their own womb. Wisconsin has had a "earn a buck" system in place for several years, which means that hunters must shoot and kill an antlerless deer first before being allowed to shoot a legal buck. Many hunters will shoot a young of the year deer to "earn" their buck tag knowing that come next spring there will be one less deer, whereas if they shot the 4 1/2 year old adult doe, that there would be 3 less deer next spring.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
Food plots are not the same as hunting over feeders. I have never seen a deer jump up and go to a food plot at the sound of the breeze blowing thru a field of peas or wheat. My old lease that I dearly miss was cornered into a large commercial operation. The feeders would go off to the southeast of my stand on the other lease and the parade started thru the persimmon thicket I was hunting. They would even stop feeding on the persimmons that they loved to head to those feeders. Let's get back to hunting does and fawns.

I disagree. Yes food plots are the same. I hunted a winter wheat field for the first 12 years of my hunting career. The deer were as predictable as the IRS. At a feeder at our ranch, I have seen corn sit idle for two days or more, because the conditions required for the deer to present themselves was not there. They don't "wait by the feeder for it to go off", if so, you have a over population problem. And yes, when you feed a famly of 4 with $30 bucks in the bank you eat everything you kill. Rabbits, squirrels, and deer went into getting us through hard times.

Offline Casull

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
I disagree. Yes food plots are the same.

If that were true, there wouldn't be so many states that make baiting illegal (at the DNR biologists recommendations). 
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
I disagree. Yes food plots are the same.

If that were true, there wouldn't be so many states that make baiting illegal (at the DNR biologists recommendations). 

Yeah, they know everything  ::).... Last one I talked to couldn't tell me if a cottontail rabbit lives below ground or above ground.I was told to "look it up". Plus, they don't make the laws, non-hunting persons do.  In my state baiting, whether it be by feeder, or food plot(yes that is baiting, notice the picture of the big 10pt buck on the bag... ::)), or crop field is very legal for deer. If someone is worried about leaving a fawn motherless then, if legal, shoot them both. Eat them both. And don't feel ashamed. You have done your duty as a human being and hunter.  That is what the deer are here for. And as far as hunting shows, they are comical. Without corn thrown on the road in south Texas or hunting off of a crop field in Kansas they would be out of business.....

Offline Casull

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
In my state baiting, whether it be by feeder, or food plot(yes that is baiting,

Argue it all you want, but a food plot is not baiting.  Doesn't fall under baiting regulations of the states or of the fed's (for duck hunting).  If it makes you feel better to call food plots or crop fields baiting stations, go ahead.  Just don't expect many to agree with you.  Oh, and BTW, I'll bet most DNR biologists are smarter than you think (all DNR personnel are not biologists), and those that make the game laws rely on the opinions of the biologists.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »

In my state baiting, whether it be by feeder, or food plot(yes that is baiting,

Argue it all you want, but a food plot is not baiting.  Doesn't fall under baiting regulations of the states or of the fed's (for duck hunting).  If it makes you feel better to call food plots or crop fields baiting stations, go ahead.  Just don't expect many to agree with you.  Oh, and BTW, I'll bet most DNR biologists are smarter than you think (all DNR personnel are not biologists), and those that make the game laws rely on the opinions of the biologists.   ::)

Not arguing with anyone. Just stating fact. Not all laws are amended due to a "biologist's" opionion. In this state they rely on hunters, the ones that see what's going on, and offer opinions based on hunter's experience. They understand that when you plant seeds (with a 10 pt buck on the bag  ::)) that the crop is to attract deer. When you use a feeder, they know, that attracts deer. I just see it as a case of denial...... I just want one biologist to tell me where a cottontail lives....I know, but do they? Shouldn't be that hard, ya' think?

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
In that thar BRar patch do that rarbit live

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »
In that thar BRar patch do that rarbit live

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you. That was just what I needed tonight, deernhog!!! I read that and just cracked up, thank you! God bless you........

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »
Enough on baiting. Get back to the subject discussion or I'll lock it down.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Casull

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

GB, I like your style.  Although now we'll have to start a thread on baiting.   ;D
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »

Yes, sir. Will do. Sorry, got carried away.

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »
  Ouch!  I feel the pins going into the Kix Voodo doll now. Yea, I was a little rough, my apologies. However, I stand by my convictions; maybe I should explain. Instead of saying mother-daughter (but that's what they were) I should have said "big deer-little deer with little deer trying to suckle every five minutes". Now to me that is not a very tempting target but if is to you then snick of that safety and let fly. And yes, I am a "selective" killer but that is opposed to what, killing everything that moves?  When I was a young kid hunter I did shoot young deer, maybe I just don't want to do that anymore. And I take very seriously putting a bullet thru something and If you think that makes me soft-hearted let me assure you that I am not. I usually just take one good buck a year and my quest is for that one good deer and no more. The rest I watch or video-tape for after season enjoyment. But you guys are right, I shouldn't have turned anyone into a villian because of my beliefs or practices. Now excuse me while I go hug my trees.  Kix

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2009, 05:27:52 AM »
Well said Kix. Many here are venison EATERS and live in areas where deer are abundant. We are not wanton killers we are just hungry. There should be room in town for both of us.