Author Topic: Does With Yearlings  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Does With Yearlings
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2009, 06:31:32 AM »
Kix,

Sure can't knock a fellow who stands by his convictions. I respect your decision.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
Agreed! My family lives on venison rather than beef. I believe it is healthier and we like the taste better. So we fill the freezer so to speak. I don't deliberately hunt yearlings but will take them if I need the meat for the freezer. Doesn't mean we take fawns. Once they loose their spots I believe they can survive on their own but correct me if I'm wrong.  Horns, boiled baked barbecued or fried still ain't eatable.

Offline Casull

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Once they loose their spots I believe they can survive on their own but correct me if I'm wrong.  Horns, boiled baked barbecued or fried still ain't eatable.

Pretty darn sure that you're right on both counts.   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Well said Kix. Many here are venison EATERS and live in areas where deer are abundant. We are not wanton killers we are just hungry. There should be room in town for both of us.

Well said....

Ouch!  I feel the pins going into the Kix Voodo doll now. Yea, I was a little rough, my apologies. However, I stand by my convictions; maybe I should explain. Instead of saying mother-daughter (but that's what they were) I should have said "big deer-little deer with little deer trying to suckle every five minutes". Now to me that is not a very tempting target but if is to you then snick of that safety and let fly. And yes, I am a "selective" killer but that is opposed to what, killing everything that moves?  When I was a young kid hunter I did shoot young deer, maybe I just don't want to do that anymore. And I take very seriously putting a bullet thru something and If you think that makes me soft-hearted let me assure you that I am not. I usually just take one good buck a year and my quest is for that one good deer and no more. The rest I watch or video-tape for after season enjoyment. But you guys are right, I shouldn't have turned anyone into a villian because of my beliefs or practices. Now excuse me while I go hug my trees.  Kix

Well said....
Agreed! My family lives on venison rather than beef. I believe it is healthier and we like the taste better. So we fill the freezer so to speak. I don't deliberately hunt yearlings but will take them if I need the meat for the freezer. Doesn't mean we take fawns. Once they loose their spots I believe they can survive on their own but correct me if I'm wrong.  Horns, boiled baked barbecued or fried still ain't eatable.

Well said......

Once they loose their spots I believe they can survive on their own but correct me if I'm wrong.  Horns, boiled baked barbecued or fried still ain't eatable.

Pretty darn sure that you're right on both counts.   ;)

Well said....

Offline Casull

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
Well said Kix. Many here are venison EATERS and live in areas where deer are abundant. We are not wanton killers we are just hungry. There should be room in town for both of us.

Well said....

Quote from: kix on Today at 09:29:19 AM
  Ouch!  I feel the pins going into the Kix Voodo doll now. Yea, I was a little rough, my apologies. However, I stand by my convictions; maybe I should explain. Instead of saying mother-daughter (but that's what they were) I should have said "big deer-little deer with little deer trying to suckle every five minutes". Now to me that is not a very tempting target but if is to you then snick of that safety and let fly. And yes, I am a "selective" killer but that is opposed to what, killing everything that moves?  When I was a young kid hunter I did shoot young deer, maybe I just don't want to do that anymore. And I take very seriously putting a bullet thru something and If you think that makes me soft-hearted let me assure you that I am not. I usually just take one good buck a year and my quest is for that one good deer and no more. The rest I watch or video-tape for after season enjoyment. But you guys are right, I shouldn't have turned anyone into a villian because of my beliefs or practices. Now excuse me while I go hug my trees.  Kix

Well said....
Quote from: squirrellluck on Today at 02:26:19 PM

Well said......

Quote from: Casull on Today at 06:08:00 PM

Pretty darn sure that you're right on both counts.   

Well said....

Mohawk, you running for office?   ;) ;D

BTW, I've eaten old buck and young doe, and it ain't to hard to figure out which tastes better (much better).   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
    Crock pot, crock pot, and crock pot......mix everything else into sausage.... :D

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »
    Crock pot, crock pot, and crock pot......mix everything else into sausage.... :D

You made the blood run cold thru my clogged arteries. Deer steak pulverized (tenderized), dipped in milk and egg, rolled in flour and fried in hot oil until golden brown. My chicken fried deer steak has converted many to venison around my house.

Kix if you read my posts I beleive pretty much the same as you. I was critiquin your delivery a little is all.  I do have to admit I am gettin a little soft hearted as I get older when it comes to animals.  I hugged a tree this weekend myself. Dang tree stand shifted while putting it up and I immediately fell in luv with that oak.  :D
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Now look what Mowhawk did, start another argument. Take the loin and slice it into little steaks, Best eaten there is, better than any cow. Just don't overcook. You can get some steaks out of the ham area too. The rest makes hamburger. Nothing wrong with venison unless you shoot one of them nasty old trophys while he's rutting.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the steaks too. In fact, I'm already out of backstrap, shoulder cuts, and ham steaks. Fried slow on medium heat, breaded, with original Mrs. Dash as seasoning.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »
  As it`s my choice,I let her walk. I`ve shot one doe and that was years ago. 
   Now it`s bucks only. Been that way for over 40 years.  That`s just me of course and
   I`m comfortable with it. 

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Remmy

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »
I got my second doe with my muzzy and it is very good eaten but missed my third using the 30-06 even.  :o
Couldn't get down to my first doe i shot on the eve of Christmas cause it sounded like WWIII during muzzy season hm mm must be those new auto muzzleloaders. ???

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:43 AM »
I got my second doe with my muzzy and it is very good eaten but missed my third using the 30-06 even.  :o
Couldn't get down to my first doe i shot on the eve of Christmas cause it sounded like WWIII during muzzy season hm mm must be those new auto muzzleloaders. ???

Must be like those 30-30 muzzleloaders that they use here in Missouri.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:51 AM »
  I'm still waiting to find that special kind of arrow that does rifle damage to whitetails during the archery season. I heard them a few times this year.  :-\

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
Mohawk,
30yds in the South Tx brush is like 150yds anywhere else.LOL
i took a spike down south this year and dang if he didn't hit the brush.Even though I could see a little white of his belly it took me about 30 minutes and a few mesquite thorns ta get him to the trail.Had to break trail past him and come back down just to reach the brat.All the while watchin fer rattlers.Now thats just plain ole fun right there.
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
I would definitely shoot a doe with yearlings and even one with a fawn. I have yet to see a fawn still suckling by the start of our deer season. They are often the first ones to the corn.

The ranch where I hunt is part of Texas deer management program. This year they issued the ranch 9 buck tags and 33 doe tags. They extended the deer season through February last year and this year. If we didn't take the does we would have worse overpopulation than we do.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Does a rancher sell off -harvest - only male cattle? No. He manages his herd size by controlling the number of cows. What is the secret of being a good rancher? You have your herd size in balance with your range. Put on too many critters and you damage the land. Do that for long and you are out of business.

Wildlife managers go through the same process. Their only means of managing the females is by issuing doe permits. By killing the does he thinks need to be harvested we are helping him protect the land from over use. 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:25 PM »
Mohawk,
30yds in the South Tx brush is like 150yds anywhere else.LOL
i took a spike down south this year and dang if he didn't hit the brush.Even though I could see a little white of his belly it took me about 30 minutes and a few mesquite thorns ta get him to the trail.Had to break trail past him and come back down just to reach the brat.All the while watchin fer rattlers.Now thats just plain ole fun right there.

Ain't that the truth, thank God I hunt the hill country....lol.... Myself and MarkC on the forum, tracked a doe for an hour and a half in the brush country. She went about 30 yards.... :-\

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »
Does a rancher sell off -harvest - only male cattle? No. He manages his herd size by controlling the number of cows. What is the secret of being a good rancher? You have your herd size in balance with your range. Put on too many critters and you damage the land. Do that for long and you are out of business.

Wildlife managers go through the same process. Their only means of managing the females is by issuing doe permits. By killing the does he thinks need to be harvested we are helping him protect the land from over use. 

Harvest does. Good eating, and will help the herd.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
If it is legal where you hunt, then the choice is yours. We have entirely too many does on my property in Northern NY, and I can only legally take one with either a bow or muzzleloader duing the repspective season. I intentionally do just that. First deer I see, I will take. Then, with meat in the freezer, I hold out for a good buck. I'm with the venison eating crowd!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2009, 03:42:26 AM »
If it is legal where you hunt, then the choice is yours. We have entirely too many does on my property in Northern NY, and I can only legally take one with either a bow or muzzleloader duing the repspective season. I intentionally do just that. First deer I see, I will take. Then, with meat in the freezer, I hold out for a good buck. I'm with the venison eating crowd!

I'm with you.  We normally let yearling bucks walk, and fawns and does with fawns.  I did kill a lactating doe in November one year, and this year I shot a 2.5 inch yearling buck by accident.  Thought it was a yearling doe.  I never saw the tiny antlers at 220 yards.  I shoot yearling does first and then hunt Mr. Horns.  Just cause I enjoy our venison.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline rokefert

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »
I am from michigans UP and have also wondered about shooting does with fawns.  Most yooper's are aware of how extensive the deer migration is here.  Deer will travel 30-35 miles to yard in the winter as the winter in the lower half of the UP is that much more mild as opposed to where I live.  It is not like that in lower michigan where they may only travel a few miles at the most.  There are no deer here right now.  They have all moved south.  I would contact Jon Ozoga at the cusino research center and see what his views are.  I don't know if fawns need supervision to make it to the yards or not.  I have shot does with fawns and wondered if I made them into walking wolf bait or not.  I have had some people remark about shooting fawns is the better practice as deer heard numbers are down in the northern half of the UP and fawns are more likely to die in the harsh winters.  Yet when a big ol doe walks out and shows me the armpit in October I find it hard not to scratch that it for her.