Author Topic: How do you lug them heavy USH around  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How do you lug them heavy USH around
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
I finally got me a USH as I had mentioned a few weeks back, and was wondering what Sling you guys have found to be comfortable on these.  As we all now these are not the lightest guns in the field and I am going to get a sling to hall it around.  I always have a hard time finding a nice sling.  Thanks

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: How do you lug them heavy USH around
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
 You said in the past, you picked up the USH 12. All I can suggest is mount it on one of the 2 wheeled wheel barrows ;D

Mine is the 20. I use the one of the old style rifle slings with the big shoulder pad. Because of the barrel weight, I mount mine upside down. I ussually only sling it when going in or out, upside down puts the barrel weight downward. So I dont have to readust it on my shoulder ever few yards.

Lonny

Offline jmabrey

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:43:52 PM »
I use a Vero Vellini Hunters Orange Rifle Sling on my 12 ga. USH-also a Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Rifle Sling  on my Savage ml in black. Both are comfortable and stretchy. I used the orange sling to shoot a 6 point offhand in the Maryland shotgun season at 40 yards from a treestand. Have used it on my Savage twice to do the same thing-offhand. both are non slip and comfortable and the orange just adds to the safety heavily hunted areas. also use it during all turkey seasons on Rem. 11-87. 
When you wrap the sling on your arm to shoot the stretchiness adds to the comfort-doesn't cut hard like the old leather slings or Army slings. 

http://www.commandsurplus.com/product_info.php?products_id=47508

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23250-1.html

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:23:27 AM »
I keep the sling in my pack and only use it if I have to drag out a deer. Otherwise the rifle/shotgun is in my hands. It is heavier and I would never want this fora "mountain gun". For what I ask of it and how I hunt it hasn't proven to be a problem. Although I am a bit bigger than avg. guy at 6', 250lbs and a fairly athletic 42yr old.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline UltraSlugBill

• One shot, One kill
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:01:31 AM »
It's really easy......... I have two of them so I simply sling one over each shoulder. Its remarkable to be able to stand upright for a change. Used tobe Id be all caddy-wumpus by the end of the hunt.........now Im just shorter. LOL
If you plan to steal from my property, be sure to give your soul to God for I will take your ass.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
I've hunted twice with my old USH 12ga while walking deer drives.
I used a Cabela's Safari sling.  No elastic, 2" wide, and it keeps the gun upright in a two hand carry position in front of you.  Its great for getting the gun from a sling position up to a shooting position instantly.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
Wheels
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
The last time I lugged mine was when I took it to UPS and sent it out after I sold it and went with the Tracker II. No kidding the USH in 12 ga. was heavy and without a rest aim I could not shoot it worth a darn. YMMV I'm happy that I went with the 20 ga. Now all of us here in Poverty Paradise have 20 ga. Tracker II's except my S-I-L who has a youth USH in 20.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »
take the weight out of the stock, helps alot.  Mike

Offline jdinil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:31:38 AM »
I lugged my 12 ga. version to the local gunshop last week. And traded it for a Savage 210F. Those Ultra Slug Hunter 12 gauges are just to heavy to use well. I wish they would bring out a 12 gauge of about 7 1/2 pounds. Something with about 2/3 the barrel thickness of the Ultra's. The 12 gauge Tracker II's and the newly introduced Lite slug hunter are too light weight in my opinion, too much recoil. They need make something inbetween these two weight extremes. I think a midweight rifled slug shotgun would sell like hotcakes!

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »
Well...let's see...I get off the couch, out of the p/u, use my feet instead of an ATV...work out my upper body 3-5 times a week, carry my shooter instead of slinging it, quit smoking and drinking, walk instead of riding whenever possible...and I don't have any problems hauling around my 13# USH or BC or any of my other 10#-12# heavy caliber rifles...I'm 67, quad bypass, diabetes, ugly, not in any kind of shape and slightly overweight.  Of course...it's not as easy as when I was mid 20's... ::) ::) ;D ;D Hahahahahahah

What was it an old timer once said to me..."if you can't do the work, git back to the hall or stay home with the wimmin"..."we don't need no c***s on this job".  Same goes for hunting I would suppose.  :o

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:43:46 AM »
I don't have a USH but do have the NEF 10ga goose gun. I just use a cheap old sling from Wal-Mart. It ain't pretty but it works fine.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:10:13 PM »
NFG;

I'm 67, quad bypass

That wasnt needed untill you started carrying the 10 to 13 pounders was it?  ;)

Glad your still hunting with us. :)

Lonny

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
I use a hand made leather sling. Adjusts with a 1 strap and buckle. The shoulder is 2". I carry mine over a coat or a heavy vest for the most part. Most I have to carry is 1/2 mile to a tree stand. I can drive or four wheeler that or closer without any bad conscience at all. I work out all week to enjoy the weekend off and relax. I luv the balance of the gun and how easy it is to steady for any shot. Without a sling it would be a pain to carry or drag out a deer or a hog. I really like the 20 ga Tracker II, the way it looks and feels, but have not shot it. Last 2 weekends of this month are antlerless gun hunts, just might get to blood my USH before the end of the year. The other two were with leverguns.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
Maybe....maybe not...the bypass was a function of a life time of eating bacon and eggs, biscuits and gravy covered in melted cheese, steak smothered in mushrooms fried in butter, Philly steak sandwiches, ice cream, pie, cake, cookies, pancakes slathered in butter, peanut butter and jelly....you know...all the "good" stuff.  >:(  ;D...and never mind a life of heavy work, hiking and camping as far back in the boonies as I could get and all over the western US, motorcycle and 4WD building and racing.

Last  January I hand shoveled 2 ft of snow off my 8 ft wide x 80 ft drive way including a 20 ft hunk with 4 ft of snow throw by the snow plow...took me 4 days...I also bought a sno-blade for my ATV this summer...guess I got smart and wussy at the same time....Hahahahahahaha...so much for all the "heavy" lifting....

Besides all that extra weight soaks up the recoil AND the heart beats, plus makes for a smoother swing...it IS harder to get going and harder to stop tho'.  I never liked a light rifle or shotgun much. 

Everyone has their comfort zones but it always seemed those that showed up for a hunt with all the lightest equipment...gun, camp gear, boots, etc never quite finished with the rest...not always but more times than not...you can't substitute "lightweight gear" for conditioning...maybe that was the problem.  Hahahahahaha.

Anyway...what's good for one goose isn't necessarily good for another, and doesn't really matter...in this day and age having any kind of shooter is a lucky thing...be happy.

This getting old in the body and not in the mind is a total PITA.

Take a walk whenever you can...and open your eyes...you'll be surprised what you see.

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
NFG I like the way you think and the way you operate. 
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline Hawgcaller

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:51:24 AM »
NFG I like the way you think and the way you operate. 

I'll drink to that

Hawgcaller
Watch the Hands!
Attack Me, I Need the Practice!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
I use my sling when I am walking to my stand before sun up...If I am walking after sun up, the gun is in my hands...The sling I use is a padded camo sling that I bought about 11 years ago when I first became interested in hunting and bought my first shotgun.  When I am heading out of the woods at the end of the day and the sun is down, I put that slug gun back over my shoulder using the sling. 
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »
I always make sure to have a couple of native gun bearers in my entourage....yeah,..... sure I do. :D ;D

Seriously, if I'm hunting from a stand, I case a long range rifle, a close range shotgun or muzzle loader and a handgun.  I put on my snowshoes, I put the guns in a sled, along with venison jerky, choclate bars, dried fruit, M&Ms, hot coffee and a sip of something for when the hunt is over.  Fanny pack has knife, ammo. dry socks, extra gloves. All go in, cell phone for emergency or help, lighter, matches, compass are all there.  Grunt call too.  I leave most of the stuff there for the next day.

If I'm walking, I,ve got the fanny pack and my single shot 20 ga., snow shoes if needed....light..

Merry Christmas

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gdcpony

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
I wish I could describe it well, but those in the USMC will know it well. I carry mine in a "hasty sling." I have the sling (a cheapo) wrapped around my left arm in such a way that it adds support to the gun when I bring it up. Then I can also let it hang from that too if I do it right. I use the same thing for any mobile hunting. I have a tendency toward heavy guns (heaviest I used to walk with was 24#) and so the USH doesn't seem so bad. My AR is heavier, and my .22lr is about there too.
I'm weird; I know.

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »

Good luck with that. Have you ever seen a shotgun that was fired with the muzzle full of snow or mud.

You said in the past, you picked up the USH 12. All I can suggest is mount it on one of the 2 wheeled wheel barrows ;D
Mine is the 20. I use the one of the old style rifle slings with the big shoulder pad. Because of the barrel weight, I mount mine upside down. I ussually only sling it when going in or out, upside down puts the barrel weight downward. So I dont have to readust it on my shoulder ever few yards.

Lonny

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Did you buy the one with the thumb hole stock? I never liked the looks of them, but about a month ago I saw one at Gander Mountain. I picked it up and you would not believe the difference in balance and how it handles. I don't think I would need a sling except going in and coming out.

I finally got me a USH as I had mentioned a few weeks back, and was wondering what Sling you guys have found to be comfortable on these.  As we all now these are not the lightest guns in the field and I am going to get a sling to hall it around.  I always have a hard time finding a nice sling.  Thanks

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »
I always make sure to have a couple of native gun bearers in my entourage....yeah,..... sure I do. :D ;D

Seriously, if I'm hunting from a stand, I case a long range rifle, a close range shotgun or muzzle loader and a handgun.  I put on my snowshoes, I put the guns in a sled, along with venison jerky, choclate bars, dried fruit, M&Ms, hot coffee and a sip of something for when the hunt is over.  Fanny pack has knife, ammo. dry socks, extra gloves. All go in, cell phone for emergency or help, lighter, matches, compass are all there.  Grunt call too.  I leave most of the stuff there for the next day.

If I'm walking, I,ve got the fanny pack and my single shot 20 ga., snow shoes if needed....light..

Merry Christmas

Pete

Don't forget the kitchen sink...LOL. Just kidding...Sounds like you are outfitted for the long haul when you take that sled. 
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense