Author Topic: R-15  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
R-15
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:13:26 AM »
Graybeard or anyone else that has one,
How do you like your R-15?  I just put 25% down on one over the phone so they would hold it for me at Cabela's.  It was the only AR in stock and they say they are usually on the shelves for only a couple hours.  It's the fixed stock, 18" barrel model.  They are going for $999 and I have a $100 off coupon.  Was kind of leaning toward the 22" for a little better accuracy and lower "BANG", but appear to have little choice at the time.

Thanks,
Buckskin
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: R-15
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:10:33 AM »
Accuracy with a shorter barrel would be theoretically be better.  Either way, you should be good to go.  Congrats!!!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »
I haven't read any complaints about them.  Post a range report when you get a chance.

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »
I don't have a R15 but since its basically a Bushmaster, you did good , i love the camo they look sweet . Accuracy isn't really an issue of barrel length , just velocity . It should be very accurate . Congrates

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »
That's good to know, I figured the longer barrel would be a little more accurate.  Now I have to figure out how to accessorize.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »
I have two both the 18" and 22" both with the fixed stocks. I like them. I have the 18" set up already with a camo EOTech Holosight to match and sighted in. I've not yet set up the 22" nor have I shot it yet. My plans for it are to have a scope for varmint/target work with QD rings and either another EOTech or an Aimpoint for CQB use.

I like mine.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »
Hey Bill ,

Hows that EOtech on the 18"er working out for you ? What kind of accuracy were you getting when you went out and played with it ?

Buck .. I would have prefered the extra 2" of barrel over the stock 16" just for the extra muzzle energy and velocity .. So i dont think that 18" is a bad thing at all ... Congrats though , you do be sure to let us know how it shoots when ya get it home ..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »
I've only had it out the one time that Matt and me shot them. I sighted it in roughly at 25 yards and then Matt used it to hit the bottle cap on the one liter bottle we were shooting it. I've not gotten back to it yet. I've not shot any groups other than the one to sight it in at 25 yards.

I'll put it on paper at 25 and 100 when I deem the weather fit for such. For now I am confident it is "on enough" for any expected home defense use I might need to make of it. Same for the CDD M4.

I do need to get back to it but am not much on winter weather. If it's cold or wet I stay inside mostly.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:51 AM »
The guys on the predator forum seem to be having good luck with the Hornady 60gn V-max bullets.

Mine's all set up and ready to go sight in---just waiting for the weather to break---0 degrees and -20 wind chill just aren't the makings for a fun day at the range.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:11:07 AM »
Mine's all set up and ready to go sight in---just waiting for the weather to break---0 degrees and -20 wind chill just aren't the makings for a fun day at the range.

That's where I'm lucky. 10 deg, here today.  I just have to step out onto my deck w/ a full mag and I have dingers and targets set anywhere from 100 to 500 yds and an occational coyote.
Buckskin

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
I've got the same type you are buying and couldn't be happier with it.I have fired a few hundred rounds thru it without a single malfunction.this was with 4 different brands of factory ammo including wolf,and my own reloads with bullets ranging from 36 grn varmint grenades to 60 grn Nosler partitions.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

I picked up my R-15 from Cabela's wednesday. And this morning went through it and gave it it's first cleaning. Man they put a lot of crap in the barrel.

Mounted a 4200 Elite 4-16x50 on it to see how it shoots (pulled it off of my 204 for now). I have to say I am pretty impressed. While I know very little about AR's, I like this one. I test drove a CMMG and M&A combo and that is about it for experience for me. But do like the way the R-15 shot over the other. At only 6.5lbs it had very little muzzle jump. The trigger was a little creepy but I would guess it to be about 4lbs. Not to bad. I sighted it in at 50 yds, then moved it out to 100. It was about 15F today with about a 15mph wind, but I was still able to easily put 3 them inside an inch. I expect that I will be able to get it under 1/2", but wasn't to concerned about trying to make one hole today. What I did want was to see how it did at 350 yds, which is the range that coyotes tend to run by our fenceline. God have mercy on them. I have a 4" round dinger down there and I could make that thing dance anyway I wanted. It's going to be a fun gun. The only changes that I would make so far would be to loose some creep on the trigger, maybe drop a lb off of the pull and for Remington to give us more than a 5 shot mag. That thing is a pain to load. I have a pile of back-ordered mags comming soon I hope!  ;)
Buckskin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 12:47:48 AM »
ive found that bullet shoots well in about any ar no matter what the twist.
The guys on the predator forum seem to be having good luck with the Hornady 60gn V-max bullets.

blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:04:46 AM »
I'd wager you'll be happy with the R-15. Bushmaster builds top notch ARs! My Shorty with the 13" barrel (16" with the permanently attached brake) is a real shooter. It has turned in <1" groups even with Silver Bear ammo. Never experienced a problem with it for the 8 yrs or so that I have owned it, clean or dirty.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline fedor

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »
Congrats Buckskin.  I have on and love it.  I have only killed a couple of paper targets with it, but every group at 100 yds is .75" at the most.  Most of my 3 shot groups have at least two shots touching.  Only have 30 rounds through myne, but intend to send more down range soon.  I put a Bushnell 3x9 on myne.  I don't know the name of it, but I took it off my Remington 770.  I have myne set at .5" high at 100 yds.  Be safe and God bless.

Offline fedor

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »
Forgot to include my ammo that I used was Black Hills 60 grain V-max.

Offline Hemlockusa

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
The R-15 comes in 223 and 204 Cal.  What have most of you choosen???  I wonder if this would except that 22 Cal insert??  I have several grand children and it might be fun to run some 22's through it every now and then.  Does anyone know if it would take that insert???
One other question, How much difference in accuracy between the 18 and 22 inch barrel.  Cabelas just sent me a coupon spend 500 and get 150... Now I am going to look.  Just need some input from you experts as to which one I grab..
Thanks

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
 No expert here. The 22 conversion will work in any 223 ar. It just replaces the bolt, takes just a few seconds. Velocity will only change with the longer barrel. Due to harmonics the shorter may be more accurate, toss up though, either will be fine. 18" would be a bit lighter for the kids. And if you intend to hunt will be lighter for walking. 22" would be slightly flatter beyond 300 when the 223 starts to drop.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 03:34:21 AM »
I went with the 223, although I would love one in 204 also.  I have a 204 in an Encore barrel and it is an awesome round.  But good luck finding one. I haven't seen one on the rack anywhere.  I have the 18 inch barrel and really like the way it handles and it's lighter.  But when you put a scope and bipod on it, it doesn't feel all that light.  I don't have that many rounds through it yet, but I do have my first coyote kill at 350 yards.  Dropped him like I hit him in the head with a hammer.  You could drop in a 22 conversion kit in it, but  I would think with the very low recoil of the 223 or better yet the 204 most kids would be able to handle it anyway.

By the way, how did you get a $150 off from Cabela's.  Mine was only $100...
Buckskin

Offline gbjeep

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »
Buckskin, Have the 22" and the same trigger. Used a little fine grit sandpaper where the trigger meets the hammer and smoothed it up a little. It also got rid of the SURPRISE!! fire.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »
I just found a 18" 223 model that had been on the shelf for a while and didn't reflect the hike in retail price. 
I will be replacing the trigger with something better soon.   I might try to find a lighter firing pin as well.  The factory firing pin scares me.  I cycled some new hornady ammo through it, and just the action slamming shut leaves quite a dent in the primer.  I worry that any soot or brass buildup in the firing pin area would easily cause a slamfire.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
It's common for an AR type to leave a little pin mark on the primer when it chambers a round.  I understand that it makes people nervous, but aren't the lighter (titanium type) firing pins supposed to reduce the time between the trigger being pulled and the round going off by some fraction of a second?  I'm not sure that would help you out with yours, but I'm not a gunsmith either.  Is the dent a big dent or tiny little circle in the ceter of the primer?

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 03:15:14 AM »
I just figured a TI pin will also have lower kinetic energy when the bolt slams forward, and won't leave as much of a dent.
Honestly, I don't know how some of the rounds didn't go off.  It is not just a tiny mark, its the full diameter of the firing pin.

Other than the firing pin issue, I am happy with the R15.  I got it to shoot about 2moa off a shooting stick out in a windy field.  I'll have to wait till May when the range opens up again to get it on a lead sled and see what it can really do.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 04:00:38 AM »
It is not just a tiny mark, its the full diameter of the firing pin.

If you can.  Go to where you shoot and chamber a couple rounds to get that dent in the primer you're talking about.  Take those examples and the rifle to a good gunsmith and have him/her check it out. 

Are you shooting handloaded ammo or factory ammo?  I'm only asking if the primers were flush with the brass or if they may have been sticking out a little bit.  It's easy to not get the primers all the way seated sometimes.

Offline Savage

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 07:51:46 AM »
The inertia strikes on the primer has always been a concern to me. I have been told that with mil spec primers it's safe enough, with proper muzzle control of course. I shoot a lot of reloads in my ARs, and that worries me more than a little bit. I have been debating for years the feasibility of installing a short spring between the front shoulder of the firing pin and the bolt carrier. I think now I'll buy a proper size spring and experiment.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
Are you shooting handloaded ammo or factory ammo?  I'm only asking if the primers were flush with the brass or if they may have been sticking out a little bit.  It's easy to not get the primers all the way seated sometimes.

Factory hornady .223 ammo w/55gr vmax.
Primers are flush.

I'm going to try the TI firing pin first, and if that doesn't change things, I'll visit a gunsmith.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
Post a review after you've shot the rifle with the titanium firing pin.  I'm curious on how it's going to feel for you.  I hope it takes care of everything.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Armalite Inc.
P.O. Box 299
Geneseo IL 61254
Tel 309-944-6939
fax 309-944-6949
info@armalite.com

October 12, 1997

TECHNICAL NOTE 2: TITANIUM FIRING PINS CONSIDERED GENERALLY USELESS
PURPOSE:

The purpose of the Technical Note is to review the merits of commercially marketed firing
pins made of titanium.

FACTS:

1. Titanium firing pins are intended to reduce lock time; the time between release of the hammer and ignition of the primer. Theoretically, faster ignition of the shot allows less time for disturbance of the rifle.

2. Because titanium is lighter than the steel normally used in the production of firing pins, it has less inertia: a titanium firing pin is accelerated faster than a steel firing pin when struck by the hammer. This theoretically results in the firing pin striking the primer faster than a steel firing pin would. Lightweight firing pins or strikers have been used with bolt action rifles for many years.

3. Movement of the firing pin of the M16 type rifles is, however, only a very small part of the lock time of the rifles. Lightening the firing pin produces virtually no improvement in lock time. No engineering or experimental data has been provided which supports a change to titanium firing pins.

4. Titanium is strong, but doesn’t handle impact well. For this reason alone it is less suitable than steel for use in firing pins.

5. Titanium is lighter than steel. The steel firing pin retains a slight momentum as the bolt carrier closes. This momentum normally causes the primer to be lightly indented by the firing pin, and can cause slamfire if the primer is overly sensitive. A titanium firing pin has less momentum, causes less indent, and reduces the possibility for slamfire.

RECOMMENDATION: Demand engineering test data to support claims of accuracy improvement of any sort. We conclude that the titanium firing pin is one of many fad items separating shooters from money otherwise better spent, and recommend against them. A titanium firing pin can reduce the (already) slight possibility of slamfire. ArmaLite does not sell titanium firing pins.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is something I had never noticed. Never had a slamfire. I went and looked the one in the chamber did have a very light mark. You also may want to see if anyone makes an increased poundage firing pin return spring, may help out a bit along with the titanium.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.