Author Topic: Hearing aids questions?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
Hearing aids questions?
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:10:10 AM »
I hate to say it and I have been putting if off for years but my hearing is failing.I just got tested again and it seems the both ears need help.I did visit 2 different hearing care networks and both had the same numbers left ear about 60 percent ,right ear at 45 percent.I was fitted with a few over the ears type hearing aids and man what a world of difference.
I like to ask if any one has a little more knowledge about the different type of hearing aids on the market.
I was at Audibel care and she said she offered a LX SP MODEL RECEIVER IN CANAL MODEL for $3,100.00
I did stop yesterday and at Miracle-ear they had offered a VIVATONE-ME 950 16 CHANNEL a pair were on sale at 4,500.00

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: Hearing aids questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:26 AM »
I'm watching this thread with intrest, dealing with the same issue. A friend at work suggested I talk to the mortician, he probably has lots of hearing aids his clients don't need. What a perfect place to post a question like this, we're mostly old farts who've shot a lot!

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:50:17 AM »
After near 45 years in the aircraft industry, and many years of shooting, both on teams and for fun I also have hearing loss.  I haven't been to a doctor yet, been trying to go through the VA, but it looks like I may have to fess up and take care of it for my self.  I have no idea of what to buy, or where to start, but will have to do something soon or just tune the world out.

I have posted this before.............for all you young folks, please take advantage of the many good hearing proctors available on the market today, and use them.  Keep in mind, a few dollars spent now will prevent problems in the future, course if you don't heed this advice you can join the rest of us at the hearing aid store............ ::) ::)

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »
I too have hearing problems. I had the pleasure of helping my mother purchase these little jewels of technology years ago. High dollar units that had constant problems and then couldn't be repaired anymore and she had to upgrade to new higher dollar units that weren't anymore dependable. It is amazing to me that these things can be sold for the prices they command. I certainly won't pay that much after seeing all the problems she had.

A friend has a set of top of the line hearing aids that he hardly ever wears. He says they just don't help that much and he certainly needs help.

I wonder how the companies that make top of the line hearing protection for shooters can offer units that amplify sound and also offer noise suppression for so much less money than hearing aid manufactures can.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »
rockbilly:  Less then a year ago I bought one at Costco.  I did a lot of comparison-shopping and feel I saved a lot of money.  It was worth 10-memberships.

At the same time I got on to my brother about his need for hearing aids.  He spent sometime up in the DMZ in 1967 and had a RPG explode near his head.  It was enough that he was blinded for some time.  With my encouragement the VA fitted him with two hearing aids.

Statistics show that about 32 percent of hearing aids spend their life in a drawer.  Mine has not been a problem.  Some people can get their adjusted.  Now days they are mini, digital units.  You can go back to the vendor and they recover information from the unit and they can adjust it for you.

I believe that hearing aid vendors in some cases are scammers, and others are honest.  They are a cut of society.  But I was happy with my Costco experience.  I got negative vibes from one Costco tester, and drove the miles to another store and had good results.  It was a personality issue.

My 84-year mother-in-law badly needs hearing aids, and I have recommended that she go to Costco.  She would not admit she needed hearing aids unit they posted a sign in her hospital room.  “Hard of Hearing!”

I almost lost mine out hunting so it stays in the vehicle.  I just bought a Walker Game Ear and will be testing it. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
I wear resound AIR, have for 3 years , no problems. they are over the ear, still have people say what is that in your ear. Lots of my problem was tone loss
magnifying the sound alone did not help me.
When i was in a room full of people and most talking i couldn't really understand anyone. Watching a movie was OK until music came on in the back ground,
then could no longer understand. My biggest problem was i did not hear the tones
that most women and children speak, now try that on, she is the reason i wear these.
They feed all the info into a computer then hook the devises(not hearing aids now
days) up to the computer and it sets them. Mine were $3200.00 with 4 year warranty. almost forgot when i shoot i some times forget to put on my hearing protection, i never notice, the devises block out any loud sharp noise.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:15:15 AM »
Siskiyou,

Is this the type of hearing aid that you got at Costco? 

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/08AB1214_KsHrngAidQtlyAd.pdf

Do they have in the ear ones?

How much was it?  Do you have one or two?

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »
Rex6666i have the same problem as you with more problems my hearing starts  at about a 12 gauge shotgun level my hearing aids cost right at 7000 bucks got them at the VA. after this pair if they cant come up with something better im done i mean what they have now is the best they have. need more technical things to come along
never to much gun

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
I have 40% high frequency hearing loss in both ears. I have been told hearing aids will not help me because it is nerve damage. The cost of hearing aids has kept me from tring them anyway. Anybody else have this problem?
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
greg916: I have the same problem high frequency hearing loss in both ears R/S I lost 60 percent
L/S 40 percent I was informed it was the inner ear in the canal were the neve are damaged.The test itself took about 1 hour no charge at both loacation AUDIBEL HEARING CENTER AND MIRACLE-EAR  both came up with the same results.
I have but up with it for years but lately it has become a real pain in the rear,I always have to excuses myself and ask what did you say or I have to look at the person who talks to me in another words I do find myself to read lips.I travel with the wife or friends in a car and the road nose keeps ME from talking when driving I just don't understand any one if I am not looking at them.
I was fitted with the newer model hearing aid that programs threw a computer and it seem to do wonders
I did find on a few types over the ear I seem to hear my voice or feedback threw the hearing aid.
I tried the one I mention above VIVATONE-ME 950 16 CHANNEL  3 CHANNEL PROGRAM a pair were on sale at 4,500.00 from Miracle -ear and had no problems with them.I am not crazy about the price but if they work then I will be more then happy .

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
I've had hearing aids for about 30 years.  The early ones usually ended up in the drawer forgoptten.  They simply amplified sound and did not really work.  Anytime you block the ear canal, your heart beat and breathing tend to be the loudest sounds you hear anyway.  They had always told me I had lost low tones.  I could hear and converse with women and kids just fine, but I really had trouble with men's voices.  The guys at work accused me of not being hard of hearing, they said I had selective hearing.  The VA finally fixed me up with the tiny new digital in the ear canal ones that only pick up the tones I lost, they are great. 

My neighbor went to the VA also, they fixed him up with the small in the ear ones like I have.  He could not get over the sound of his breathing and heartbeat.  He ended up going back to the behind the ear type, with a small tube that fits in the ear without blocking the ear canal.  For him that is the best answer. 

When I go to the range, or our hunting, I wear headphones that amplify ambient sound, and they work great for me in the field.  They also shut off at 85 decibels and are just what I need.  I have another set that also have a radio in them, as well as amplifying ambient sound.  They are the ones I wear most of the time.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
I have also got the costco hearing aids.  Got them about year and half ago.  They are the inside ear type.  I do have a lot of irritation with it sounding like my head is in a bucket.  I also have been getting a lot of the tinnitus this last 6 mo or so.  Do most of the other hearing loss people have a lot of the ringing in the ears too?  Thanks Don.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
Don I to live a life of being serenaded by the ringing and the sound of crickets on a warm summer night, 24/7.
It has been so long I am not sure I would know how to act if I didn't here it.
I have 60% lose in the right and 50% in the left.
Like the others, I too find that a restaurant type situation is the worst.
I here everything except the people around me.
This has been going on for over 30 years.
If someone isn't looking at me when they talk or have a very loud voice, I can't understand a thing they say.
If I am reading and someone trys to talk to me I have to stop reading to here them or else it's just all noise to me.
I would like to here again but I too find the price somewhat out of reach, and my insurance won't cover them.
Until something changes I guess it will be WHAT DID YOU SAY???

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 05:05:32 AM »
I have the same symptoms as others here.  Constant ringing in my ears, etc.  I tell people it's not that I can't hear them, it's that I can't understand them because, depending on the frequency, certain sounds just don't come through.  In situations where there is any background noise, I can't understand anything!   :(  The high frequency range is gone in both ears and, last time I had it checked, the mid-range is well over half destroyed.

I went to the VA, first and last time, and after 3 days of tests they denied my service connected disability for my hearing.  Now, when I went to flight school those many long years ago, my hearing was unimpaired.  After my first year in the RVN there was a noticeable HF loss.  The loss was greater every time I took my annual flight physical.  Toward the end of my 11 years active duty, I had to get a waiver of the audio portion of the physical requirements for aviators to stay on flight status.  All that and the VA says there is no indication the disability was service connected!   >:(

To their credit, they did give a non-compensable disability for a couple Kalashnikov kisses that are now nothing more then faint scars!    ::) >:(  Let me tell you what I really think of the VA!   >:(

I have amplified ear muffs for hunting... other then that there isn't much I want to hear anyway...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:29:43 AM »
   I've also got the "ringing" and "chirping" in my ears constantly from too much shooting (and flying) without adequate protection. (I have over 50% hearing loss in my right ear and about 30% loss in my left.) After being turned down by the VA clinic, I did a market search.  I've opted to go the "cheap" route after I recovered from "sticker shock".
   While in Bass Pro one day looking at hearing devices (and guns), one of the managers mentioned that one of the local well know "tycoons" of the town used to buy a set of Walker Game Ears every year from Bass Pro up to the year he died. I thought I would try a Game Ear II, at the suggestion of that person, which I found at their "outlet" shop for $120. The Game Ear II, which is my ear of choice, has a "voice discriminator" incorporated in it which is user adjustable (in the latest version).  It worked! It was a tremendous improvement over reading lips and guessing what people were saying.  I particularly liked the fact it temporarily shut off when any noise was above 98db. (The cost from Cabella's is listed at $199 each.)
   A friend of mine bought a pair of the same Walker Game Ears that year. While he liked them, he found that they were hard to keep in the ears and ended up buying $3000, in-the-ear aids from a big name "Audio Center".  After a year of use, he was convinced he had not made an improvement on the Game Ears. He has now gone back to the Walker, but had an audio technician make him a mold to fit his ear.  He says his modification makes a "marked" improvement of keeping the device in place while helping sound attenuation.  (I solved that problem by using "ear tips" from a "Planetonics" aircraft headset I had on hand.)
   The Walker Game ear is worn on the outside, rather the inside of the ear. Its design makes it is easier to adjust the parameters of the device and replace the (cheaper #13) batteries than the expensive models.   Most people recognize you are wearing a hearing aid whether in or out of the ear (just like a guy with a bad "hair piece".), but you can display your hunting credentials while "downplaying" your "handicap" ;D

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »

Savage_99 I believe that the ones shown in your link are the lower cost units for those who are suffering moderate hearing lost.

Like a car lot they advertise the low cost model to get you on the lot.  I am pleased with my Costco experience.  I am pessimistic at heart and I figure that there are people who will take advantage of others.  At the time I was exploring the subject the State busted a couple of hearing aid dispensers for fraud. 

On a routine visit to my family doctor I asked about a hearing test.  His office was set up to do it, and I was tested that day.  The results showed my left ear was not receiving the message. 

My insurance does not cover a hearing aid so I needed to make the best financial decision.  I did a lot of looking on the net, the yellow pages, and ads.  I formed the opinion that most dispensers are selling the same aid, just at different prices or re-branded.

I sought the advice of friends that wear hearing aids. 

I made an appointment at Costco and was tested.  I was very impressed with the testing procedure.  It has changed with technology but the out come was the same as my results at the doctor’s office.  But I had a far better understanding of my hearing loss.  Unfortunately I was not totally satisfied with the demeanor of the tester. 

The tester told me that before I could buy I needed a prescription from an EAR/NOSE Medical Doctor.  This is a requirement of State Law.  I am in favor of this costly requirement.  The Ear/Nose MD I went to does not sell or profit from the sale of hearing aid.  The results of the test were the same as Costco.

The lady who administered the test may not have appreciated my rather factual joke.

I ask her if she knew what sound caused the loss of hearing in seventy-five percent of the male population?

She replied, “No’.

I told her it was the sound of their own voice saying, I do!

While I was being tested at Costco, another patient came in for adjustment of her hearing aids.  She was in her thirties and had been wearing hearing aids since childhood.  She felt that Costco hearing aids were a good deal but she did not like the tester at this location. 

I called up the other Costco because I had the option.  They needed to re-test me even with the Doctor’s prescription in hand.  I understood this because I had asked the doctor about hearing aids and he told me that dispenser of hearing aids would recommend an aid(s) to fit my needs.

I was more then happy with the service from both testers at the other Costco.  Because of the complexity of my life style in a busy part-time work environment, and enjoying the woods I need more then a basic hearing aid.  The aid I purchased has three functions (1) general environment, (2) isolates background noise, and (3) telephone.  A coil designed for telephones is difficult because there are different phone systems.  As a user I have no control over the phone system in the work place.  I also default to what I buy at the big box store.

A neat feature of the aid I purchased was the data-logging feature.  After wearing it for a month I returned to Costco so they could fine-tune it.  The first thing the tester did was download my hearing history.  Based on my history he fine-tuned the adjustments.

I purchased the Rexton Revera.

http://www.rexton.com/PDF/Revera%20PDF%20FIles/Revera%20Dispenser.pdf

“Revera:
The Rexton Revera is a "premier plus wireless" digital hearing aid and is specifically designed for those with an active lifestyle who also demand a cosmetically appealing, state-of-the-art hearing solution.”

I have worn my hearing aid while out hunting, but after pulling some gear off and catching it rolling down my front, I feel it is better to leave behind.  My hunting partner lost one while out cutting firewood. He has spent a fair amount of time looking for it without results.  He continues to wear his out hunting because he wants to hear the rattlesnake.

My ears were ringing after I shot my buck last year, and my ears did not like the blast of my rifle when I shot this year’s buck.  Just one shot each but with a negative impact on my ears.

I just purchased the Walker Game Ear HD.  I have not tried it too much yet.  I do not like the earplug compared to the custom molded one on my Costco hearing aid.  I spent a day doing yard work wearing it.  It came out one time.  I will follow-up on my thoughts down the road.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_227215&id=0047994228734a

The Doctor asked, Siskiyou why do you think you need a hearing test?

Siskiyou, Because my wife told me I need a hearing test.

Doctor, You will never win that one!

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »
Siskiyou

How much was it?  Do you have one or two?

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
Like i have said before i have the over the ear models, that self adjust, computer set, i have
had no problems with mine, i can go into a crowded room now and hear
everyone the same. i still have the ringing but not as bad, if you only need amplification i am sure the walkers will work but don't believe they will take
care of tone loss. I have a friend that has about the same problem as some of us here, he went to sears and bought the cheapest thing they had, now he cusses because he has to constantly adjust the volume. Some times the ringing in my
ears would get so bad i wanted to answer the phone just to stop it.

I was told twice by different people that my hearing could not be corrected.
Finally found the right guy.

I guess it is all about what it is worth to hear, my ins. would not pay anything.
Rex

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »
My Costco Rexton Revera cost $1699, and I think it is worth the price.  The Costco unit included a custom earpiece, testing, and two or three follow-ups.  But it offers no hearing protection when shooting and I wear standard muffs with foam earplugs.

The Walkers cost me $178 plus shipping and I should receive a $20 rebate.  They amplify sound.  But the foam earplug fits poorly.  I feel they would offer poor ear protection. I am making a few adjustments based on what I learn from the folks at Costco.  I quickly learned not to over amplify, because of the feedback.

I do not think the Walkers come close to being a substitute in a normal situation for the standard hearing aid.  It lacks the custom ear piece, the expert fitting, and adjustment.  It's like having zinc on the boat motor.  It is low price and it is there to be sacrificed, rather then losing the high price item.  Without proper fitting the Walkers can easly become lost.  I am surprised they have not addressed the fitting in the instructions.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 05:12:05 AM »
All that and the VA says there is no indication the disability was service connected!

Get re-evaluated and get the DAV to represent you.  My hearing related disability went from non-compensable to 40%:  Bi-lateral hering loss=30% and Tinnitus=10%. 

Have had two very expensive hearing aids for years and seldom use them.  There are problems with hearing aids.  All background noise is amplified.  When driving the road noise is terrible when wearing hearing aids.       

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:55 AM »
My biggest problem was i did not hear the tones
that most women and children speak, now try that on, she is the reason i wear these.

To most men that would be a blessing! Heck I think I would even enjoy not having to listen to women and children ever once and awhile.  ;)

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 06:17:33 AM »
My biggest problem was i did not hear the tones

To most men that would be a blessing! Heck I think I would even enjoy not having to listen to women and children ever once and awhile.  ;)

Heather

Absolutely, Heather. Been using that as an excuse for years though it gets me hollered at occassionally. In fact, I got hollered at this morning.  ;D
I have one grandaughter and I can not understand half of what she says. She talks fast and her voice pitch is in the range that I can hear the least. I am not missing much as most of what she says makes no sense to me when I can understand most of it.  :-\

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »
HUH? What did ya'll say?
Funny but this conversation came up over coffee today before Sunday School.
All of us are old and have the need but of all--3 or 4---who had tried them they said they were in the drawer at home. They just amplified noise and made it harder too hear. Some very expensive ones.
I can't hear high pitch noises and much of the conversation is lost because I can't understand. My wife begs. I can't hear her beg.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
I'd give anything to hear the birds sing again but the best hearing aids wont do it. Always liked gals with deep rapsy voices anyway but would like to understand the grand kids.Seems like everyone has the same problems crowd noise, background music that isn't,
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
alsgar:  Do you have the new digital ones?  First set the VA gave me had a volume control, back ground noise almost drove me nuts.  Then they gave me new ones about four years ago.  No volume control, they are digital and set with a computer by the audiologist.  They only amplify the tones you don't hear.  They are a big improvement, you can understand words again.  Background noise cut back.  Still need to learn how to block out your own breathing, you will hear that any time you block your ear canal.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
Man, if the kids would just shut up I could hear my wife.  If my wife would shut up, I could hear my kids.  If the tv were turned off, I could understand people talking.  If my truck didn't have duals, I could hear my wife talking while driving.  I'm not deaf, I just can't hear over the background noise.  If folks would learn to speak clearly and pronounce their words, it would help a LOT!  People mumble to dang much.  If they wouldn't whisper and mumble it would be great!  Okay, maybe I am deaf...  I can hear fine when it's quiet.  I heard that roe deer walking through the snow last Saturday night.  Probably would have heard it better 20 years ago but I still heard it.  It's just all the danged background noise.  Definitely too much shooting as a kid without hearing protection.  Too much loud music too. 

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 05:51:07 AM »
Sourdough you are correct the digital are way better, i think things have changed a lot in the hearing devise bus. I don't have a problem with road
noise or back ground noise. I have no problems with mine.
no guns here, i used to be exactly like you.
Rex