Author Topic: pardner pumps  (Read 1700 times)

Offline RelicHound

• Trade Count: (1)
pardner pumps
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »
anyone here have any experience with the PP? a friend of mine has never really been into hunting or shooting so Ive been slowly getting him into it by taking him to the range and letting him shoot my 17 and he has decided he wants to try hunting so I figured id start him out with some squirrel hunting...I figure if he likes that Ill take him turkey hunting next spring. he wants a gun that he can do everything with but will not break the bank since he is a single father of 3. Ive been looking at shotguns and the PP is priced rite and is it just me or does it look awfully like the remmy 870s? anywho..pros and cons would be appreciated and I assume like most shotguns he will be able to get a slug barrel for it if he decides he wants to try deer hunting?

Offline grumpyErik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: pardner pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
If money is an issue, why not get a Pardner single shot made right here in the U.S.A. They can be had for <$120 at Wal-Mart. They dead stupid reliable and easy to opperate, very safe too! As a bonus he could have slug barrels and other gauges fitted too! They recoil a lot with heavy 12ga loads but, are very nice in 20ga. Plus they are light (5-6 lbs.), so if he covers a lot of ground hunting he won't be wore out.

They are not fancy but, are highly effective. If he is not worried about the snob factor he should be good to go. I think they are the best value in a shotgun bar none. My first shotgun was a Pardner, I have bought and inherited other "fancier guns" but, I almost aways reach for the Pardner single shot when I go a field.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »

I've got the Deluxe model with the vent rib. It will also take interchangeable  chokes. I put my 870 away when I bought this one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline vervillev

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »
I have a Pardner 20 ga. Compact . When I got the gun,I was able to compare the Pardner to the 870 express, Maverick, and Mossberg and the pardner came home with me. The advice on the made in USA single shot is good but a pump has definitive advantages over a single shot. Heck, he could have both real reasonable if he can catch a sale or someone selling one used due to the "China Syndrome" that plagues these otherwise fine pump shotguns. >:( >:(I've had my Pardner pump apart and am very impressed with the manufacture of these shotguns and would not balk at buying another.the caveat with these shotguns is everyone trying to tack on remington parts on a gun that has enough design differences to make it unfeasable to trick them out. If left alone, it should last a long time and transition you friend into a great sport.

Offline RelicHound

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:35:47 AM »
Thanks folks! sounds like it would be a good cheap way for him to get into hunting. I have several single shot shotguns,Ive got the survivor in 28ga,H&R 10ga and 2 H&R 12s{not sure what model} and I also have some of the old essex 16ga and sears 20 and 12ga guns and a savage 22mag over 20..I let him try a few of them at the range and was going to give him which ever one he wanted since I dont use them much but he is set on buying either a pump or auto..which I understand I reckon. we are off work today so I will take him to look at the pardners. thanks again folks.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:14:04 AM »
I bought a Pardner Protector at Dick's last month for $179.00 and it seems to be a good gun.  I have other Remington 870s and except for the barrel they are the same.  870 accesories , except barrels, fit on it, it is all steel, and you can't beat the price.  I would tell him to get it.
Tony212

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 06:18:50 AM »
What gun some one buys and their reasons for buying it are none of my bussiness but just make sure he knows it's MADE IN CHINA. It doesn't mention that in the catalog or on the website.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:20:59 AM »
vervillev, I am not bashing the Pardner Pump, I think it is a good gun that gets a bad rap only because it is made in China, not because of any design or quality issues.   :)

I was just saying if money were a serious issue, one shot is better than no shot at all. When I think of money being tight, I think going to a pawn shop and buying a single shot 12ga for $50-75 and killing food to help provide for the family. I grew up very poor so my idea of money being tight and others ideas of money being tight are usualy different.

Since his finances do allow for a repeater then yes, he ought to get the pump gun and bring home some dinner with it, and teach those kids to hunt and  shoot.   ;)

Offline RelicHound

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »
yeah money is very tight for him...he really cant afford to buy anything but he is excited to start hunting and I gave him $100 for christmas and his dad says he will match what he can to help him get a shotgun so we are figuring around $300. his boys are 4,7 and 9 so for christmas I bought his oldest boys a pair of pellet guns and his youngest a cap gun and in the spring we are all going to take the hunters safety classes..will be my 3rd time taking it. the oldest will hunt with us next year,Ive got a youth model 870 20ga I think will fit him well and he can use it.

Offline vervillev

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »
Grumpy, I agree that one shot is better than none and will contend that one shot is also quite sufficient if it is well placed. ;D I have had a pile of shotguns in my time and will tell you that I still am as in love with the concept of a single shot shotgun now compared to as a child growing up. Now that we have a global economy, we have more goods being made and available at a great price. It seems as of late that American gun makers are going overseas to bring in "price point" firearms that are no doubt reverse engineered copies of the Rem. 870, Ithaca model 37, and others with just enough differences to avoid legal problems. I'm sure H&R thought it out pretty good before outing their pump models and I see know harm in their choice of vendor for parts to build these guns. I have never heard of anyone thumbing their nose up to the Chinese SKS and find it odd that folks get threatened by a pump gun for hunting that is perfectly servicable and within reach of the average Joe,and meets the legal standards for importation to this country.  I'm not offended by anyones choice of make or manufacture of shotgun and encourage this new shooter to try as many guns as possible and buy what suits and fits him. In short, if it gets him in the woods and he experiences a good hunt, his choice of gun becomes priceless and we've welcomed a new hunter to the sport. ;)

Offline RelicHound

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies folks! I took my friend to a gun show today to find him a shotgun..I brought along one of my revolvers a comanche 44mag and figured it would get him a good deal on a shotgun if we used that as a partial trade,I havent shot that gun in years so it wont be missed. anyway he got a benelli super black eagle,it only cost $300 plus my revolver. the SBE looked almost brand new. took it out and shot it a few times and every thing seems fine so I figure he got a heck of a deal on a great shotgun.

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
Geez, that is a bit of a step up!

You did a very kind thing helping him out like that. You not only benefited him but, you benefited the sport. If he teaches his kids to hunt and shoot that is more hunters and shooters for the future. ;D

I try to take anyone who wants to shoot with me. Because:

A. To teach them guns are not evil.
B. Gun owners are not psychopaths.
C. To spread knowledge and inspire gun ownership.
D. To keep tradition alive, maybe after they shoot they will consider hunting!

I am eyeballing a youth model 28ga for my son. Sure he is only 3 but, the gun I buy today will be cheaper now than it will be in the years to come. I will keep it in the box in the back of my closet and when the time is right he will have a long box to enjoy opening, just like most of us did all those years ago.  :)

Offline RelicHound

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:44:40 AM »
yes I agree it was a major step up compared to what we where looking at..I figure hes got a gun now that will last him for years to come. my friends oldest boy is very excited about learning to shoot and trying his hand at hunting,the other 2 could care less but I think once they see how there brother and dad is having so much fun they will quickly want to join in.
funny you mention looking for a gun for your 3yr old. when my daughter was born I bought a pink  22 cricket and gave it to her last christmas when she turned 5,she is 6 now and she enjoys going to the range with me and shooting her little rifle,it will be another couple of years before she can tote a gun while hunting but she has hunted with me since she was 3. I bought one of them dog house ground blinds when she started hunting with me and she really enjoys it. last year I let her work a turkey into range for me...Ive never heard most of the sounds that came from that box call but the turkey sure seemed to like them :) Ive got a remmy youth 870 20ga for her for when ever she is ready to take it on,my friends son can use it until she is ready.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »
I bought a Pardner Protector at Dick's last month for $179.00 and it seems to be a good gun.  I have other Remington 870s and except for the barrel they are the same.  870 accesories , except barrels, fit on it, it is all steel, and you can't beat the price.  I would tell him to get it.
Tony212

Thanks Tony.
Will an aftermarket pistol grip and a forearm made for an 870 fit ?
" we are screwed "

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:25:14 PM »
I put a Speed Feed forearm on mine no problem.  I haven't changed my stock, but there is no reason it shouldn't.   When you compare it to an 870 they are the same.
Tony212

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:04 AM »
HI GBO. I am new hear and i have gone through and read many posts. I like how these fourms work. However to stay on topic I think the PP is great.(as long as you can get past the "made in china" part). I have one in the 12ga. model. It works great. its a nice shot every time. I have put about 500 rounds through mine and not one problem. They are going at a good price. It is a good quality gun. One problem I had with mine was how dirty mine was when i got it.( bought it new). But after a good cleaning it was and is a great gun. It patterns very well. I must it is a good cost efficent gun. Also all aftermarket 870 parts will fit except the barrel.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 02:43:49 AM »
I'd rather have a Remington 870.  They are $260.00 at Walmart.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:36 AM »
I'd rather have a Remington 870.  They are $260.00 at Walmart.

Who wouldn't. But in my area anyway the remmington 870 go close to $400 (new, and good luck finding a used one). Now the PP is more cost efficent and a great begginer gun.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:50:33 AM »
The 870 Express with a laminated stock is supposed to be about $260.00.  Any Walmart that sells guns can order one.  BassPro and Academy Sports also have them for less than $300.00.  I'd rather have a Mossberg 500 or an NEF single shot than a Pardner pump.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »
Ahh yes the good old single shot. Nice and american made. That is a good gun. But I dont know about others but in my area its pretty much gander moutian. We have no bass pro no cabelas and the walmart and k-marl in my are have stopped selling firearms. I dont know if if its just locally or state wide. I recently tried to purchase a gun from walmart and k-mart. I called both to see what they had in stock. The guy on the phone from walmart laughed and said " we dont sell firearms". I could not believe it.

Offline coyotesbluff

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »
Hi All I too was wondering about the pumps, I already have the good ole' single shots 1 12 & 1 20 ,
LOVE 'EM BOTH  ;D. I didn't realize that they were made in china town though :o That would be a turn off for me ..rather be keepin the money in the states where it belongs ! ;) But any way on the wally world website you can from what I see order a gun and pick it up at any wally world store near you, they'll send it to them for you to pick up.They may not sell them in the stores ,but you can buy them from headquarters.They have a list of guns on their site you can go through and pick from.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
But any way on the wally world website you can from what I see order a gun and pick it up at any wally world store near you, they'll send it to them for you to pick up.They may not sell them in the stores ,but you can buy them from headquarters.They have a list of guns on their site you can go through and pick from.

That's not true, you can only order firearms at Walmarts that sell firearms, stores that aren't licensed to sell firearms can't order them for you and they can't be ordered online, please read their webpage.  ;)

Tim

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4665494

Important Notice:
Firearms and ammunition are only available at Wal-Mart stores licensed to sell firearms. Please call your local store first to make sure they are licensed to sell firearms. You will be able to find your store phone number by clicking the link below and entering your ZIP code. Prices may vary in Alaska and Hawaii.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline vervillev

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:30 AM »
The Pardner Pump is made from parts made to H&R specs from IAC Hawk industries in China. EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA DUE TO FREE TRADE!!!!! ::) Now I have a 20 compact and a 12 gage that are very well made guns. I too have my concerns but not to the point of singleing out one product that H&R is assembling from parts made to their specs to bring us a great value in guns. China also has some of the best guitar luthiers and are building some fine instruments. If you have a problem with buying China goods then you are singing in a hurricane as American ceo's and our own government is responsible for establishing free trade with less than "nice" countries.

Now, the Pardner pump, to me, is a better deal than the entry level Mossbergs and Remingtons. I did an exhaustive seach on the net for ANYONE that could break one and came up empty. I have worked on shotguns and have owned alot of different brands and will tell you that the Pardner Pump is an excellent value with real walnut that is being assembled by American craftsman using parts from China that keeps them in a job due to low material costs.

I'm currently looking for a Hawk 982 for home defense and am doing so after reading about that shotguns performance in three gun matches. They dont jam and they dont break and keep spitting lead. Ya gotta love that. 

To end, those who got past the "China Syndrome" are happy with their Pardner pumps, Much the same as those who love their Ak's and SKS's. It's funny that I dont hear anyone grousing about those guns.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 05:28:17 AM »
The politicians don't take the money from my hand on the other side of the gun counter nor do their opinions make any difference in my choice of whether or not to buy American. I didn't see any politicians with sad faces in the unemployment office this week, just out of work Americans. To each his own. Enjoy your Chinese gun. Just don't condemn anyone here for not agreeing with you. If you can buy that gun with a clear conscience because of your belief system that's fine. I'd rather have a yugo, Romanian or Polish AK or SKS if I was in the market for that kind of gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline vervillev

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 06:05:01 AM »
First of all,I wasn't condemning ANYone is my post. I was giving an objective review, without prejudice, regarding a well made firearm. Second of all, I was amazed to learn that a Texas store was selling out of black assault style rifles to folks wearing Obama stickers. There is more to the issue of global trade than what one can post on a forum like this. I have seen people attacked about their choice of guns, be it whatever from whereever and will tell you that it is counter productive to argue among ourselves about this issue.  Now my Mom was Polish and Jewish in nationality, dad was French Indian. Do you have a problem with that?

Offline vervillev

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
To add, maybe the politicians aren't taking money from your hand but if you've been watching the news lately, they are gonna be so deep in your pocket , your head will swim. Also I work in in National Defense ( for 32 years and have a secret clearance.) Don't question my patriotism because of an objective choice made on the merits of quality.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
Well, I don't know if it's greed on Gander Mountain's part or a price increase from Remington, but the price of a Pardner Pump Protector has gone up from $179 last fall to $229 yesterday.  With prices like that, a Mossy or Remington isn't that far of a jump.  I was surprised, to say the least, to see them priced that high.  Also, priced out rifled slugs.  Gander is near double the price of Walmart.  If I get the chance, I will have to do some more price comparisons with Dick's and the regional Mills Fleet Farm to see where they fall in on the Pardner Pump Protector.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline vervillev

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:46 AM »
Supply and demand. These guns are selling like hotcakes as are all guns since "The Messiah" was elected. I'm also filling my closets with guns before Obama and his loud mouth buddy Biden start to revsit gun control. Right now they are working on getting into our pocket books.

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 04:11:52 AM »
You and may others are stocking up. As far as these pumps go i put a couple hundred more rounds through mine this weekend and perfect. at 75 yards pattering buck shot, and bird shot very well. Good guns have never had a problem with mine.

**The second amendment you dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away**

Offline vervillev

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
I really like mine and really like what NEF did in their approach to quality versus cost with these shotguns. It is a shame to read that some folks are having

problems with chambering from a  domestically made popular shotgun I will not mention the manufacturers name due to brand loyal extremism but, reality is what it is.
  Alot of folks are posting about their problems with this particular shotgun in other forums. The Pardner Pump is a very good value that will raise the ranks of gun owners do to the low cost and quality that comes with the gun.

I rate a gun on it's merits and the Pardner has alot of good principals built into it.