Author Topic: S&W AR15 Good deal or should I pass  (Read 893 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
S&W AR15 Good deal or should I pass
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
Ive got a chance to get an "MINT" S&W AR15 flat top 16 inch barrel colapsible stock sling & 6 new magazines. Guns got about 500 rounds thru it. I trust the guy Im buying it from when he tells me that. Now I havent looked at an AR15 or M16 in about 20 years. The last one I had, I didnt have to pay for . Uncle Sam foot the bill.
Im trading my Kimber 1911 poly stainless for it. I paid $400 for the Kimber. So are the S&W versions descent gun or what.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: S&W AR15 Good deal or should I pass
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
Well if all you got in the 1911 is 400 bucks I would trade in a second. The S&W AR around home will bring 1000 dollars all day long. Add the extra mags and that's another 50 dollars at least.The S&W seems to be a fine weapon.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »
They seem to be well thought of guns. I just read a magazine review in either Rifle or Handloader on the S&Ws and by Mike Venturino of all people. From his report it functioned and shot fine. It's certainly worth way more than you have in the handgun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:44:48 AM »
there good guns and your making out on that trade.
blue lives matter

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:41 AM »
That's a bargain. Good rifle as well, no need to get into the name game with the AR's. Just a few tips when buying. DPMS is known to have tight and short chambers from time to time, sometimes even .223 will cause jams.95% of the time everything is OK, but then again with my luck I would be one of the 5%. Stay away from armalite ar180 (not ar180b) plastic receiver known to break at pivot pin. High Standard and Chinese clones are known for poor casting in the receivers And avoid  hesse arms at all costs, too many problems to list.
 In the last 10 years quality has been raised to such a level it's hard to find a lemon no matter what brand you get. Sure some are higher end than others. But for the average guy all major brands are far beyond acceptable.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
Well if all you got in the 1911 is 400 bucks I would trade in a second. The S&W AR around home will bring 1000 dollars all day long. Add the extra mags and that's another 50 dollars at least.The S&W seems to be a fine weapon.

+1 Exactly!!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 03:07:12 AM »
No brainer, those things are hard to find right now also.  They run about a grand and have a good following from what I understand.  Put it this way, I'll give you $600 for it if you want to dump it!
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
The price of these rifles will only continue to go up for now . I tried to find one back in May and had to order mine , a S&W MP-15T . Took over 2 months for it to arrive back then and now they runnin about $600 more.
Get'em while you can .
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »
Considering that you only have $400 in the Kimber, that deal is a steal! S&W Ars are going for $1200 and up right now. By the way, The reciever, upper and lower, for the S&W are made by Stag Arms, one of the better AR-15 makers. Other parts are made by high end makers.  I would trade in a New York minute!
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »
The deal got delayed for a week or so. We may be trading next week.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
Maybe everything will go right. If not that still is a good pistol.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.