Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36771 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2009, 03:55:59 AM »
If any of you are thinking about slipping across to Canada while you are in the area You need to know you will need a passport to get back in the U.S.

May 31, 2009

Questions and answers on new passport rules

By BRIAN TUMULTY
Gannett Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The acting head of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency expects the June 1 implementation of new documentation requirements for land crossings from Canada and Mexico will be smooth.

The reason?

U.S. citizens who don't have the required documents will be given a sheet of paper telling them they are not in compliance and waved through. But the Customs and Border Protection agency won't say how many days or weeks it will issue just a warning.

Question: Why are the changes being made?

Answer: Under the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, Congress required that all international travelers must prove their identity and citizenship. The new rules already are in effect for air travel. The requirement will extend to land crossings and sea ports on June 1.

Question: What documents are required?

Answer: There are several options. Travelers may use a passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver's license or one of three trusted traveler documents. Those three programs are Nexus, Sentri and Fast. The Fast program is for commercial truckers. Sentri is used only at the U.S.-Mexico border. Nexus is used at the U.S.-Canada border.

Question:How do I get a passport?

Answer: Applications for passports and passport cards are available at U.S. post offices and at www.travel.state.gov.

First-time passports cost $100 for applicants 16 or older, $85 for children. (Renewals are $75.) They are acceptable for travel worldwide by air, land or sea. Processing takes one to two months. Expedited passports are available for an additional fee.

Wallet-sized passport cards cost $45 for those over 15, and $35 for those younger. (Renewals are $20) They are not valid for international air travel, but may be used at U.S. land and seaports.

Question:Why would someone get a passport card instead of a passport?

Answer: These wallet-sized cards have radio frequency identification technology imbedded in them that allow them to be swiped on a machine, shortening the time it takes to pass through a land border crossing.

Question:Where can I get an enhanced driver's license?

Answer: Only four states - New York, Michigan, Vermont and Washington - are offering enhanced driver's licenses at this point, although more are planning to do so. Michigan issues them through the Secretary of State's office. The others do it through their Department of Motor Vehicles. Applicants must wait two to three weeks in New York, Michigan and Washington. Vermont takes five to 10 days.

Question:What about children?

Answer: Children age 16 and under can satisfy the requirement with a birth certificate.

Sources: U.S. State Department, U.S. Customs and Border Protection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
Douglas, this is very good info, thanks for providing it! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »
i'm booked at the hotel ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
I strongly urge you to prepare your charges before you come to Montana.   We will have a restricted area north of the range set up for you to make charges.  This will be the only area you will be allowed to "pour from the can".  It will be in the wide open windy prairie.

On the range behind the firing line we will have a safety zone where you can keep your charges and such.  You can use wrapped charges or loose powder. You will only be allowed to take one charge at a time to the firing line.  Find some sort of container to hold loose charges.

Plactic 35 mm film canisters can usually be had for the asking at most photo processing sites.  The film cannisters appear to be static free.  Plastic medicine bottle could also be used, but check them for static first.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2009, 06:24:31 AM »
I remember reading that charges cannot be transported and that there is a maximum of 2 lbs of black powder in original 1 lb containers allowed to be transported.  Is that true?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »
Federally you are allowed to transport 50 pounds per person of commercially made black powder intend for sporting  purposes for antique firearms.  That's paraphrased.

You local jurisdiction may be more restrictive.

Offline Double D

« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
If you wish to recover your projectiles be sure to mark them so you can identify them.  Unmarked projectiles found on the range become the property of the Club Cannonmaster.  Marked projectiles found after you leave will be held for you to pick up next year.

Self dectructing projectiles will have to be cleaned up after firing.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Federal law may be 50 lbs but Mass. for one, seems to say 25 lb max in an approved magazine; 5 lbs or less in a Department of transportation approved shipping container when transported in a private vehicle.

One size does not fit all. :-\

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:38 AM »
http://www.lni.wa.gov/wisha/rules/explosives/HTML/52-g.htm
State of Washington: Black Powder. Private car. No more than 5 pounds transported.

So where are you when you wave the "Federal 50 lbs" regulation under the nose of an arresting officer?

???

Offline Double D

« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2009, 04:18:23 AM »
Like I said,  "Your local jurisdiction may be more restrictive."

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:55 AM »
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr555.106.pdf
Does this say that "50 lbs" is referring to a licensed Common Carrier, to the exclusion of a private vehicle?

I'd like to be able to read and hang my hat on how/where I am legally favoured  in my activity (for our common good). Common practice and weightless argument not withstanding.

States Rights offer a heavy burden to shoulder. Right, wrong or indifferent, these are the times that try men's souls.

There must be some Legal Beagles out there, other than what we called "Latrine Lawyers" or "Philadelphia Lawyers".  The AAA and NSSA undoubtedly have this nailed down.

Twenty-five (25) years ago, I read in "The Artilleryman", where the Jersey SP stopped reenactors trailering a cannon on the Tpk to Gettysburg and forced them to dimantle it on the shoulder of the NJ Tpk. If I remember correctly, the tube and wheels had to be pulled. That was an iron issue and not a powder one.

I don't believe that this is an issue to be Cavalier about.  Am I incorrect? Is it a non-issue?

So in other words, "Your local jurisdiction may be more restrictive", means yuh pays yuh money and yuh takes yuh chances.  There are alot of, "jurisdictions" from coast to coast, so it's Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.  :(

rc

Offline Double D

« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:54 AM »
Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
PART 555—COMMERCE IN EXPLOSIVES
Subpart D—Licenses and Permits

Browse Next

§ 555.41   General.
(a) Licenses and permits issued prior to May 24, 2003. (1) Each person intending to engage in business as an importer or manufacturer of, or a dealer in, explosive materials, including black powder, must, before commencing business, obtain the license required by this subpart for the business to be operated. Each person who intends to acquire for use explosive materials from a licensee in a State other than the State in which he resides, or from a foreign country, or who intends to transport explosive materials in interstate or foreign commerce, must obtain a permit under this subpart; except that it is not necessary to obtain a permit if the user intends to lawfully purchase:

(i) Explosive materials from a licensee in a State contiguous to the user's State of residence and the user's State of residence has enacted legislation, currently in force, specifically authorizing a resident of that State to purchase explosive materials in a contiguous State; or

(ii) Commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed 50 pounds, intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms or in antique devices

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
That's seems to read, "Purchase" and "Transport for purchase"; not "Privatly transport after purchase".

Right church, wrong pew?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:28 AM »
Ooops! That should read "privately". My key board has an "e" that hang-fires.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
RC, reading and trying to comprehend abstruse "legalese" can make my eyes rotate. I'm not giving advice to anyone, but if I were going to transport quantities of BP across state lines, I would definitely get an ATF agent on the line, and try to find out exactly what was allowed, and what wasn't; I would also request something in writing from a Bureau office, that I would then carry with me when travelling.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:19 AM »
If you absolutely must have the absolute correct answer, never ever ask the Officer on the street or the Agent in the Field for verbal response.  Submit your question in writing and get a written response. The written response will save you a lot of grief. 

This discussion brings up a good point.  You need to know your local restrictions.

This also reinforces why we don't allow legal interpertations or discussions on this forum.  There are just to many laws with to many paragraphs and every jurisdiction seem to have their own versions.

Offline Double D

« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »
Busy today building targets for the Martini shoot in two weeks and the cannon shoot.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
Hope that is thick plate.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »
Thick enough for the purpose and good enough for one shoot.  It's what the club gave me to use, so we will.  I'm not rela worried about them, they have to be hit to be damaged

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
...they have to be hit to be damaged.

;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:45 AM »
Iron knock-down targets!

That's class!!!!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2009, 03:04:10 AM »
I gotta tell you guys that I have never seen a CNC Plasma cutting table at work before.  Heard about them and seen them on TV, but not up front and personal.  The Sheet of metal was just over 15 feet long and just a shade over 19  inches wide. They laid the sheet on the table at 8 AM and did the computer lay and had it done when I got there at 8:30.  We stood around and solved all the worlds problems and at 9 PM they turned the machine on and it started cutting.  At 9:31 it was finished.   Then they noticed the was still some usable spots on the plate, so they went back to the computer and dropped in 10 Iron Gophers and cut them out. By 10:30  all the cut out parts and the skeleton was loaded on the truck and I was headed home.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2009, 04:02:38 AM »
The material is 3/8" thick . I test fired one of the shields on the knock down stand . Shot a 405 Grain bullet from my 45-70 @ 50 yards . It worked flawlessly .  Tried @ 100 yards but couldn't seem to hit the target  :-[  It's been years since I have fired the rifle , forgot how much kick it has ....  :o
I think they will work great and be usable for many years .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »
     Multiple targets call for GRAPE!!  We are now building a giant 60 degree wedge to elevate the back end of the Monster Mortar Bed.  After that we will make a few of these 11" Quilted Grape rounds!  Douglas, you are really stoking the fires of anticipation in this artillery crew!!!

Mike!  We need more timbers for the WEDGE!  I'm feeding the saw.  Home Depot,  GO!!   ;D ;D

Mike and Tracy 
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2009, 06:00:14 AM »
In case you missed this in the other post here are the knock down target for shoot .

This is I Battery, I for Iron Battery.  Think you can hit one of these at 100 yard?

Here G Battery, G for Graveyard, they will be the 50 yards.

And of course following with the spirit of the Blaster Bob rule, here is the powder can for perspective.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »
 I sure want to thank you Douglas, for following the iron-clad rule of the powder can. Now there's no guessing as to the actual size of those targets.  Nice job on them...;D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
 the iron-clad rule of the powder can.

Iron-clad -  those were definitely pre-1898 !

;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
Thanks guys, we have Southpaw and John the Iron monger to thank for the targets.  I will have to figure some way to make it up to them.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
You've made some fine looking targets for this event I think all who can attend will appreciate the work and effort

put into it for all to have a great event! I wish I could make it.

When I first saw these I thought I was seeing a registration area for Acorn voters  ::) It does look like a grave yard......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
You've made some fine looking targets for this event I think all who can attend will appreciate the work and effort

put into it for all to have a great event! I wish I could make it.

We'll see how this one goes and who knows, maybe we'll do it again next year, bigger and better.