Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36780 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Sponsor Armorer77, Ed Hart has donated one of his marble mortars as a door prize.

Thanks Ed!!!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #391 on: August 04, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
I guess Ed is right, his 1500+ miles beats my 994 miles, but, the main reason is $$$, not the three mountain ranges I'd have to cross, the Coast range, the Cascades, and the Rockies. How-some-ever...next years shoot will be a different story, I'll do everything I can to be there! Take lots of pics and post them, guys! (and you girls, too!) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #392 on: August 04, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
Are them orangey balls ping pong balls?   ;D
If so, you won't get much distance from 'em.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #393 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »
6 pounds and 3.62 inches of zinc...headed out in the hay field, where I intend on picking them up and shooting them again.  ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #394 on: August 04, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
     Looks like we are packed, hey this is quick for us, only 8 AM to Midnight!  Usually takes two full days.  Even had time to spray those big bullets with a coat of glossy black so they will sparkle as they fly toward the zenith of their trajectory.  We figure they have to go almost 1,450 feet high to reach a target 400 yards distant!

Well we have to meet Gary at 5 AM, so I guess I better get some sleep.  We are committed now.  Double D, thanks for the invite, I think we will see you tomorrow evening.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »
he JYD Strap mortar is ready!!!

With that rain, soft field, you're going to plant them.  Don't think they'll grow though.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2009, 04:06:12 AM »
he JYD Strap mortar is ready!!!

With that rain, soft field, you're going to plant them.  Don't think they'll grow though.

I think those are called prefabracated Gofer holes.......  ::)

DD, Is the tube removable from the strap assembly? If so it's dual purpose..... a strap mortar and a thundermug....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
Allen,

This is a field expediant, with the whole idea to use what's laying around until I can build the the real one.  The "strap" is just hold the unfinish 6 PDR mortar tube.  We may have to press or cut the strap to get it off. 

Hopefully next year you will see a 1/4 scale 24 PDR Confederate mortar.  My Scaling-- 6PDR goes into 24 PDR, 4 times = 1/4 scale right?  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #398 on: August 05, 2009, 05:12:30 AM »
DD,

What does the JYD stand for?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #399 on: August 05, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
Have fun shooting in the rain. Last time it rained on one of our shoots, there was just enough cover under the cannon shed for the cannons. Those of us with mortar had to set up and shoot in the rain. "Keep your powder dry" is the truth.

After the rain is gone; shooting a mortar with wet ground is a delight. The projo's plant themselves into the ground quite nicely. If you're close to the target they stick and don't bounce over or away from the target.

Have fun, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2009, 05:28:40 AM »
Rain! Rain in Montana in August does not mean the same thing as rain on the NORCAL coast.  If you guys got the rain we do, it would be record as a trace, if even recorded.

But you are right the mortar balls will stick, even the golf balls.  Well if they hit in the impact zone.  If the hit out side the impact zone, as thick as the thatch is they may still bounce, may!  :)

JYD

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2009, 05:39:44 AM »
Got it.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:12 AM »
not really used over here but well understood,we got same mad mutts,is just they are in what we call...... scrap yards.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
Not sure about mortars and cannon but I KNOW that with model rocketry if you are able to hit certain altitudes you have to file a notice with the FAA before firing.  I think 1500 feet sticks in my mind.  Probably not a problem in MT but... Might want to scan the sky for light aircraft if your shots are going that high.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
Boomlover , I will concede to you on vertical miles , but I have to get thru Chicago . Maybe I'll get to meet you next year . Leaving in the morning . Armorer77

Offline Double D

« Reply #405 on: August 05, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »
Tony at CannonFuse.com has donated a $25 and $50 gift certificate.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #406 on: August 06, 2009, 12:28:06 AM »
ALL of us that are back home (at WORK THANKFULLY) are wishing you the MOST FUN, Greatest Safety and returns; AND to post the most exciting pictures!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #407 on: August 06, 2009, 02:06:33 AM »
Mike, Tracy and Gary made it to Great Falls  last night. 

George  is Missoula.

MikeR C probably will head this way Saturday morning

Ernie will be over Saturday morning also.

Ed is probably some where between here and there!

Offline Double D

« Reply #408 on: August 06, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
I saw the monster! I  wasn't even untarped and I'm impressed!!!!

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #409 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
I'm going to the NorthValley range for the bowling pin match tonite and hope to get a load for 30yd golfballs worked out before the match starts.
Work has interfered with my cannon load development plans, but the wife and I will be coming barring an emergency (personel emergency, work can go hang after 4:00 today   ). I'm taking Friday off work to pack up the truck, and will leave Friday afternoon sos we don't have to rush to get there, we have reservations in CutBank at a hotel Friday night, we will be staying Saturday night as well so we don't have to leave at any set time.
Thank you very much for putting in the time and energy into setting this up,
Mike

Offline Double D

« Reply #410 on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
Mike,

Don't worry about getting you load before you get here. That's what this shoot is about, learning to shoot your gun and load developmet.

Offline Double D

« Reply #411 on: August 06, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Had a nice get together at pizza shop this evening.  Let me tell you that George, Gary, Tracy and Mike are genuine good people...you will  like them when you get to meet them.

Tomorrow is finish up day.  Then Saturday we shoot.

Did I tell you the Montster is cool, and I haven't even seen it without the tarp or heard it fire yet.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #412 on: August 06, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
Did I tell you the Montster is cool, and I haven't even heard it fire yet.

An ICBM coming out of a silo would probably be quieter!!!   ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #413 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
     If I knew we were going to camp out in Cutbank, I would have brought some sleeping bags.  That's right the two Broomfield, CO cannon makers and RocklockI were sooooo responsible and sooooo considerate of an inn-keeper's effort to earn a living, that they called to cancel their reservations at the Cutbank motel when they just could not drag that heavy trailer any more than 15 hours and they decided to get rooms in Great Falls.  The important point here is they canceled BEFORE actually getting rooms in Great Falls.  They didn't know that the ALL Montana Coaches Conference had used up ALL THE ROOMS in NORTHERN MONTANA, so after looking in vain for lodging in Great Falls, Shelby, and finally Cutbank the cannon shoot attendies slept in their cars in the really nice little park on Main Street in Cutbank, Montana, sitting up until dawn when they called up Double D out of spite at 6:55 AM.

Anyway, We ARE having a great time and Double D and his wife gave us a real warm welcome and their three Rat Terriers gave us lots of love and kisses.  We met George Gaskill today and can't wait to see his cannons fire.  Double D has produced some very nice targets and they feature large bullseyes!  We like large in bullseyes!!  The range looks perfect, and the weather too, cooler and overcast which is nice and increases the loudness of all cannon. 

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #414 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »
Well I am probably speaking for a lot of us on the forum who can't be there when I say

I'm a little jealous of those who could make it. But glad that all who are there have made it safely.

So Tomorrow as little guns will pop and bang with billows of smoke and the BEAST shall shudder the plain

While balls ping steel and Jugs fly high and thud the ground so deep, 

T&M the Dbl D and all the rest we wish you the very best!

Have fun out there! ;D

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #415 on: August 07, 2009, 02:58:15 AM »
We still have Armorer77 unaccounted for...he does have a long ways to come.

The 6:55 AM phone was no problem for me, but they will have to reconciled with the wife, because she was till asleep and the phone was by the bed....

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #416 on: August 07, 2009, 03:51:43 AM »
When people are having a blast, and get totally involved in the moment, somtimes the furthest thing from their minds is stopping to record the action with photos, or video, so please be good, kind souls, and remember us, the less fortunate, while you're having a great time.:D 

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #417 on: August 07, 2009, 05:31:48 PM »
Do hate to miss this convention of cannoneers up in Cut Bank, but..I know everyone who attends will have a memorable time, and hope some that arent firing will have cameras at the ready! This will be a first in that area since who knows when, and I'm looking forward to being there for the Second Annual Cut Bank Cannon & Mortar Shoot! Have fun and stay safe! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #418 on: August 07, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »
Bad news,  Sponsor Armoroer77 isn't going to make it to the shoot. He lost hos transmission in Billings.  Sorry to hear that Ed. 

Spent a marathon day casting zinc round ball. George and Mike did the first shift, George and Mike RC did the second shift. George and I didi the deburr and cleanup.    We ended up wwith 30 rounds,

Offline no guns here

« Reply #419 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »
I think that if this were to be an annual event then BoomLover came up with a name for it:

"The Cut Bank Cannoneer Convention"

Somebody trademark that now...

NGH
"I feared for my life!"