Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36777 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #480 on: August 12, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
well , i have culled out the junk from the awsome shots .... 8)

my cammera takes great pics for less than 100 bucks i'll post it from seacoast world headquarters .

jezz louise they have a cammera that does slo mo at 1200 frames per sec.    :o
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #481 on: August 12, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
    We managed to extract these frame captures today along with cleaning equipment, etc., etc.  Before we get into captions and explanations of what you are looking at, I want to point out that MikeR C had the finest looking mortars there and we meaning including ours too.  Although diminutive in size, they exuded quality with perfect metal, wood and paint.  He knows all about attention to detail and we considered it a pleasure to view them close-up! 

Later we will post a series of six action shots featuring George Gaskill's 30 mm rifle.  It took quite a while, but, yes, we did find the projectile in flight!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

This is the BLAST that sent Ernie's bowling ball someplace far away.  Cat Whisperer has an image of it crossing the Blue Ridge in Virginia and DD mentioned he saw it just prior to it entering the Stratosphere, (He has real sharp vision!), and Allen, I believe, guessed Mars.  I was way too close to see anything, but I did feel the heat from all that incandescent gas!  One and a half pounds of 1 Fg provided the power. 

This series is RocklockI's Dom Confederate Parrott in action as he attempts to hit a Gong at 500 yards.  He came darn close and kept up a bombardment for more than 45 minutes.  Look very carefully and you can see his steel golf ,ball in flight, advancing in each frame about two feet ahead of the smoke.

Ernie helps a young bystander get into the action after Double D got his father's permission and our western moderator was kind enough to give him that very projectile after they went downrange to find it.  Talk about proof of his experience!

Tracy puts a friction primer in the Monster Mortar's vent.  DD was nice enough to give us one to try.  Fired on top of a cut-down quill, it worked perfectly.

This projectile base really was on fire as it left the Monster's muzzle.  It was a successful test for our double disked, Baltic Birch sabotted, round.  Even with one half pound of BP, it's plastic skin was unbroken.

This is the high velocity "Navy" projectile that we thought cannonmn would appreciate, but sorry to say it's ballistic nose cone folded under the dynamic forces of firing with a full half pound charge.  All the plastic skin shredded and a large chunk hit on of the block and tackle ropes and forced it away from the mortar.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #482 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
 ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #483 on: August 12, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »
     George Gaskill had a number of interesting cannon at the shoot.  His bronze howitzer threw up a tall geyser of dirt at about 350 yards and his bowling ball mortar shot a special machined ball between 600 and 800 yards.  But the cannon which particularly interested Mike and I was his 30 mm Parrott rifle.  At the time we were filming, he was firing a 1018 steel bolt similar in shape to the one we use with our Parrott and Brooke rifles.  From what we saw it was accurate, and flew unerringly toward the 500 yard gong.  It needed only a bit more elevation for a hit.  The series below illustrates how you must search a photo very carefully for a view of a projectile in flight. 

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

An unusual black plume preceded the fire and smoke.  We on this board have seen this phenomenon before, but if I remember correctly, it was associated with a blank fired from a 6 pdr.or 10 pdr.

The fireball forms.

And continues.

The smoke rolls forward, covering the emergence of the bolt.

Do you see it?  Traveling at approx 1,000 feet per second, we were lucky to capture it's image.

One frame later it's gone!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #484 on: August 12, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
That is interesting.  The smoke and fire come after the shot in the first two frames, and then overtake it in the next two until the shot finally exits stage left.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »
More smoke fire from this past weekend:

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
WOW! These shots are REALLY great! Thanks to all of you! All I had to do was re-play the ending of the 1812 Overture to get the sound effects! Now I'm really looking forward to the Labor Day Shoot at Lone Pine! That and make sure there is a way to get to Montana for the next years shoot! Good Job to one and all! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
Here's another:

It's 10MB so may take a bit to load.  But it's worth it!!  Click on the picture to open

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm glad that all of you that were there had a great time, and also glad that you took time to capture some moments on vid & pics so that we could all share in it. Thanks!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
   Here are a few movie clips we found that might be of interest.

M&T

This one shows the high velocity "Naval" shell.  Unfortunately this light weight, 65 lb. projectile had a ballistic nose cone that shredded upon firing and a weird harmonic ran through the bed which brought the block and tackle down.  Click on thumbnail to see movie.

[img width= height=]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8799/cimg0036.mp4.th.jpg[/img]

This one is the shot which launched Ernie's bowling ball to a place far away.  1.5 lbs of BP created such a muzzle blast that this shot made me grab for my hat at 20 feet behind the gun.  With only a 14 lb projectile, I expected very little mortar bed jump, but jump it did!
Click on thumbnail to see movie.

[img width= height=]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1840/cimg0028f.mp4.th.jpg[/img]

DD's friction primer is used for this shot and works flawlessly.  Those flames are real this time on the projectile base, because this is the reinforced, Baltic Birch, sabotted base and it's on fire!  You can see in this video that we have Plenty of windage!!  Blow-by reduces pressure, so it was done by design.  These full weight bolts go out at a measured 238 Feet Per Second, so the energy is up around 85,000 Foot Pounds and that's enough to make anyone happy.  Click on thumbnail to see movie.

[img width= height=]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7434/cimg0043.mp4.th.jpg[/img]

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
ooohh sh1t
that second movie really show what a tremendous strain that trailer gets for each shot
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #491 on: August 13, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
jezz louise .....this darn host thing is NOT uploading my pics .

never even get to the resize issue

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #492 on: August 13, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
Everyone, thanks for all of the photos and vids.

Ok, I know I shouldn't ask this to M & T. But.... How are you guys going to out do yourselves in the future??  ;D   I guess I'll just have to wait.  :(
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #493 on: August 13, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
a 2:1 scale build maybe   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #494 on: August 13, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
alright now i am ....not too happy >:( . i have a good photo , but it just wont upload to this so called servicrage thing ....

no clue  ........... ???

but i'll just describe it instead ...bright blue sky , the crane was going up with much help .

i got a good rendition of the Iwo Jima memorial flag raising . it's cool i think mike is Ira Hayes

if anyone one remembers him ......other than 'johhny cash'  ???

some day now it could be shown as several members have it and in spite of asking it to be posted ....it isnt .

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »
     Do you mean this one, Gary?  This is the size you sent me; I did not reduce it at all.   Intoodeep,   We are going to be just like you if we try to build something bigger, that is,  IN-TOO-DEEP!!!  Something different, NOT BIGGER.  I'm still sore from hauling those beams around the upstairs and downstairs shops.  2:1, not likely, Dan!  DD.  Your movie of the youngster is the most important one of the lot; after all, THAT is the future of our hobby and everyone should remember that when they SAFELY introduce someone to it.

M&T

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
Everyone, thanks for all of the photos and vids.

Ok, I know I shouldn't ask this to M & T. But.... How are you guys going to out do yourselves in the future??  ;D   I guess I'll just have to wait.  :(

Does that mean that my 'mortar' that fires 15" beach balls is the BIGGEST?  Surely not!  You HAVE to hold the record!   ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
 ;D YEP .....my pesonal fav...... ;D

Semper Fi  :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #498 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »
      Intoodeep,   We are going to be just like you if we try to build something bigger, that is,  IN-TOO-DEEP!!! 

;D  ;D  ;D  I'm thinking I may need to hand off my screen name to you guys. Anyway, we look forward to your future projects. And keep up the good work corrupting  :D  Ooopps, I mean teaching the youth. They are the ones who will need to carry on.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #499 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
I don't think that "inWAYtodeep" has been taken.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
jezz louise .....this darn host thing is NOT uploading my pics .

never even get to the resize issue

Humm...seems to me there was an offer to teach...but no you wanted another beer!  Priorities!!!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #501 on: August 13, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
Wayintodeep . that would cover it politly !!!!!!

i just want some of my photos out there ...even if .......i dont know how ... .  .   .  .    .

Offline GGaskill

Re: Montana Model Cannon Shoot
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
http://lassengunsmithing.com/movie/24PounderFiring.wmv

This is the first shot from my 1/5 scale 24 pounder.  The shot (a 1" ball bearing) was just over the 100 yd target (which one could not see when aiming the guns due to the curvature of the ground.)  

You may have to click the play button once or twice to get it to play.  Ignore the audio.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #503 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
     Cat Whisperer,   Beach balls can be projectiles too; you already proved that, but just think of how spectacular an impact of a 15", 140 pound, beach ball full of concrete would be at the next New River Valley Shoot in Floyd, Virginia.  You could change the direction of that little creek in the impact zone with a single shot!  Thanks for your generous hospitality shown to us and all the participants at previous shoots at that beautiful location; we had a great time and met some really nice people.
     Intoodeep,   The word is "Teaching" youth and a thoughtful introduction to this hobby is a very worthwhile thing to spent time and energy on.  Safe shooting is fun shooting,  There was no boredom in Virginia or in Montana for participants or spectators! 
     Double D,   RocklockI had his priorities straight when on the range.  It was very evident he was on a fire mission as he bombarded that 500 yard gong with steel whistlers for more than 45 minutes and he certainly provided a great deal of entertainment for the spectators by doing so.  I did not see any lapses in safe firing procedures either.  We have found a video clip of his effort and it is included below.
     GGaskill,   Mike and I both liked your naval gun a lot.  In fact, we decided a long time ago to include that very model on our list of future builds for our own use after seeing the excellent pictures of your Cannon Building Course at the college which featured that particular gun.  It's a fine looking gun, George, and you should be very proud of it.  Thanks for posting the clip!

Although it's a bit long, we think the video clip below is very educational and fun to watch, because it let's you see EXACTLY what the spectators at the Montana Model Cannon Shoot saw as our own RocklockI, Gary did his very best to hit a small steel gong a looong way away.  You get to see Gary "Moon-Walk" backward after lighting the fuse and dropping his propane torch as he avoids being hit by a low-flying duck, his cannon fires and recoils two and a half feet indicating a cannon ball is on the way, and if that is not enough to bring smiles, the camera pans right and the cannon ball impact is seen clearly, just a bit left of target. 

Enjoy!

Tracy and Mike

P.S.  Thank you ZackaryX for manipulating the camera and two softwares to get these clips posted.

[img width= height=]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5271/cimg0033.mp4.th.jpg[/img]

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #504 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
is there a way to see it in real time ? ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #505 on: August 17, 2009, 07:14:35 PM »
So you still don't know about the other cannon firing at that target at the same time one short, one long and one who know where.  No sights needed.

Those of you who were at the shoot know there was an issue with the land owner turning the grass under so it can be planted next spring.  That means we won't be shooting there next year.

May I be so bold as to suggest the east coast put on a shoot next year?

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #506 on: August 18, 2009, 12:36:50 AM »
East Coast.......interesting thought.   I would like to be involved.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #507 on: August 18, 2009, 12:51:57 AM »
Another thought.  I feel a bit selfish thinking about seeing the "Beast" in the east.  Do you suppose that is possible?

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #508 on: August 18, 2009, 04:07:45 AM »
last time I saw legs like those they was in a Kentucky Fried bucket.If I can make it next year ??? less flying time the better.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #509 on: August 18, 2009, 05:12:55 AM »
     Carronader,   About your comment concerning our duck-dodging cannoneer's gams, I guess you will have to take that up with him, er....no; he will proly take that up with you!  On being a Scot and having to work in London; how do you bloody stand it?  Must be the lure of those delicious bags of fish and chips.  ;) ;)

Spuddy,   We have to hear from the East Coast moderator before we make any decisions.

Double D,   So that's where those other puffs of dust were coming from!  Pretty darn good from a one-incher!!

Gary,   Don't think there is a way to get real time clips from slo-mo, but I defer to video-philes on this, Gary.

M&T