Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36813 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 05:58:51 AM »

Here's my inspiration.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
Four guys in that !  ??? I'll ride on the cannon barrel ,Slim Pickins /Strange Love style ,backwards . 8)
rocklockI
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 07:55:10 AM »
     HEY!  Are you guys (Dominic) mocking the new cannon hauling vehicle?  Remember Dom, we know where you work now.   ;D ;D  Here is  the gas consumption report.  First tank 31mpg, all in town driving.  Second tank 34 mpg, all in town driving. SO, when 'Bama, Reed and Pelosi run the gas taxes up about 2.50 or 3.00 dollars per gallon to punish all us SUV and full size truck drivers, we will STILL be smiling despite being dumped on by these pukes.

Love the sketch, Mike just hauled our welder friend over and handed him a copy of it and said, "Bruce, this is what we want, do you need your SPAS 12 adjusted again?"  And so it goes.

A special Thank You!!! to Double D for following through with this idea for a shoot which he first mentioned 14 months ago.  Thank you for also emphasising the length of the range.  Most shooters, cannon shooters, like to see a puff of dust when the shot returns to earth, especially at the longer ranges. 

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 09:27:40 AM »
Dom, your artwork caused me to have a good belly laugh, and believe me, after the amount of food I put away yesterday, my belly needed to shake a little. Thanks!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Well the shoot is still a dream..I still have convince the gun glub that we aren't a big bunch of crazies!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »
Hey Dom; when the brakes are hit, does a little flag come out of the barrel that says stop?   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
     HEY!  Are you guys (Dominic) mocking the new cannon hauling vehicle?  Remember Dom, we know where you work now.   ;D ;D  Here is  the gas consumption report.  First tank 31mpg, all in town driving.  Second tank 34 mpg, all in town driving. SO, when 'Bama, Reed and Pelosi run the gas taxes up about 2.50 or 3.00 dollars per gallon to punish all us SUV and full size truck drivers, we will STILL be smiling despite being dumped on by these pukes.

Love the sketch, Mike just hauled our welder friend over and handed him a copy of it and said, "Bruce, this is what we want, do you need your SPAS 12 adjusted again?"  And so it goes.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

In all seriousness, I think your latest vehicle acquisition IS a very smart move [No pun intended].   Looking forward to seeing the Paixhan's Mortar.  Sounds like a fun project.

Ex49'er,  You're right,  I did forget the red flag and also the wheelie bars. ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
I still have convince the gun club that we aren't a big bunch of crazies!

Good luck with that.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
Soooo.....technically, a full size cannon is a scale model with the scale being 1:1 :)
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:09 AM »
Sorry Don, first post 1/2 scale.  I am probably going to have a hard time convincing the club that the Leviathan the Seacoast guys are bringing is 1/2 scale.

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
Ahh...I missed the 1/2 scale. I guess I'll get started on the Mons Meg next month! ;D

Looks like I'll be back in the DRC about that time anyway. :(
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
So how is the sales job on the club trustees coming?

Any reasonably firm date yet?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 03:50:13 AM »
THe Gun Club Annual Meeting is Tuesday at which time I will present my proposal.  Film at 11.

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
Gun Club meeting in an hour...I am going to ask fo August 1-2.

Offline Double D

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:21 PM »
Montana Model Cannon Shot will held at the Cut Bank Sportsman Club The Weekend of August 8th and 9th.  I have to present a full agenda at the next club meeting? 

Who's Coming?

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
What kind of accomodations are there in Cut Bank? Places to stay and eating joints?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »
When you come to Cut  Bank here are some of the sights to see.

Plains Indian Museum http://www.blackfeetcountry.com/museum.html

North American Indian Days http://www.blackfeetcountry.com/naid.html

Sweet Grass Hills http://www.montanapictures.net/sweetgrass-hills-montana.htm

Remington Carriage Museum http://www.remingtoncarriagemuseum.com/

Charlie Russell Museum http://www.cmrussell.org/exhibitions/permanent/

Glacier National Park  http://www.nps.gov/glac

You will also be about 30 miles south of the US-Canada border. For information on crossing the border check here. http://www.getyouhome.gov/

You will also need to know that Canada has restrictive firearms law and they are very serious about them. Try to take a handgun or hangun ammo into Canada and you may be arrested. At least you will be fined and loose your gun.  And don't think you can hide it from them, they train their dogs to find guns.

The other thing that can get you in trouble going into Canada is if you have ever been arrested. More than one traveler has been turned back for a DUI arrest years ago. 

Cut Bank Information

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cut-Bank-Montana.html

http://www.cutbankchamber.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cut+Bank,+mt&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&split=0&z=14&iwloc=addr

http://hotel-guides.us/montana/cut-bank-mt-hotels.html

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Montana/Cut_Bank.html

http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/ctrestaurants-8342901-United_States_Montana_Cut_Bank_restaurants.html

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
     August 8-9th sounds good.  July would have been real iffy.  We are bringing the 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle and the 7 Inch Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle which will be complete by then and, if we can find some 11" ID mild steel tube of 1/2" to 1" wall thickness, we will bring the half-scale Paixhan's Mortar of 1832. 

Thanks for posting that list of lodging and eating places, DD.  That helps a lot.  We plan on seeing more of Glacier National Park as well.  We saw just a little bit of it last year on the way back from Fort Casey on Whidbey Island, Washington.  The southern edge of it was really beautiful country and the high peaks area further north would be even more spectacular.

Hope to see you all there,

Mike and Tracy     

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Sounds good to me . Mike and Tracy does your "haul my a#s too" offer still stand  8)?

rocklockI

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
     Gary and Blaster,     You guys are still more than welcome to join us for the little 750 mile jaunt up to Cut Bank, MT.  It should be fun, a good chance to get acquainted or reminisce about adventures of days gone by. 

What we really need now is some suggestions as to which type of projectile to make for the big French Mortar, the half scale Paixhans Mortar of 1832.  The original had a 23.62" bore dia.  and was basically a large cylinder of cast iron which was bored out from solid.  We are thinking of either a 5 gallon Water Jug filled with concrete or a 15" beach ball (sold at K-Mart) also filled with concrete.  Here's why:  we have a 2.5 caliber section of low-carbon, 12" ID, 1/2" wall, tube or a 6 caliber section of low-carbon, 15" ID, 1/2" wall, tube available to us at our favorite full service scrap yard.  Anybody have any ideas which way we should go here?  The 10.67" dia. jug will weigh about 180 lbs. and the 15" ball, about 140 lbs.  We will start a new thread soon, so as not to get too far off this Montana Shoot topic, but a few ideas to get us started would be nice here.

Thank you gentlemen,

Mike and Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
Just keep in mind after the match every one will be asked to go down range and pick up their garbage---so bring some extra strength garbage bags.

Offline Double D

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »

Cannon Shoot hand bill.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »
You're stapling these to every telephone pole in Cut Bank and for a 50 mile radius?   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
Got a kid in a Buster Browne suit standing on the street corner passing them out.  Check your junk mail in the morning. :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »

Cannon Shoot hand bill.

I've looked but, I do not see this listed in the "Upcoming Cannon Shoots and events" section....  :D  :D  :D 
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »
I really want  to attend this event actually ., however I cannot totally  confirm as events in my life have taken a  sudden change in events. The wife does say she will fund some herself as she knows I want to go . I hope myself and a friend Alan can attend. So .......,  probably  ;D  . For us it would be our Wes Pilley bronze beer can mortar .,  and 2 - 1" bore  swivel guns ....  you got a Ship or at least an old van or something big we can try to hit at close range by a coupla tripod mounted swivels Double D ?  ;D  We cant get Sea-Coasts accuracy with smooth bore swivels .,hell I cant even see that far.  Best we ever did was a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood at about 50 yards. We can hit that all day tho   ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »
Tentatively I planning the following events

1. Cannon shoot SAMMC rules. Two rounds of 6 shots, best 5 shots score, total of 12 rounds fired 10 scoring rounds.1 inch and Smaller 25 yards. 1 inch or larger 50 yards. Inch guns get the choice of range

2. Mortar shoot.  7 rounds at post.  Measure the closest 5 shots to post.  Total length of 5 shots.  Golf Ball and smaller Mortars shoot at 30 yards.

3. Long Range shoot, will be more or less an open shot to exercise your gun and see what it will do.   I hope to have some targets made of Sheet Rock placed on the range at various distance for you to shoot at.

4.  Trash can/ Powder Keg shoot.  Pending approval of Club. I will place a Trash can down range for the Mortars and a oil barrel further down range for the cannons.  It will cost $1 a shot to shoot.  The entry fees will constitute the pot. If a mortar team puts a round in the can the split the pot 50/50 with the club.  Just hitting the can is not enough. The round must hit in the can.   For Cannons they will have to hit the can to split the pot. There will be two pots, one mortar and one Cannon.  At the end of the day if the pot goes unclaimed, it goes to the club.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
     Gary and Blaster,     You guys are still more than welcome to join us for the little 750 mile jaunt up to Cut Bank, MT.  It should be fun, a good chance to get acquainted or reminisce about adventures of days gone by. 

What we really need now is some suggestions as to which type of projectile to make for the big French Mortar, the half scale Paixhans Mortar of 1832.  The original had a 23.62" bore dia.  and was basically a large cylinder of cast iron which was bored out from solid.  We are thinking of either a 5 gallon Water Jug filled with concrete or a 15" beach ball (sold at K-Mart) also filled with concrete.  Here's why:  we have a 2.5 caliber section of low-carbon, 12" ID, 1/2" wall, tube or a 6 caliber section of low-carbon, 15" ID, 1/2" wall, tube available to us at our favorite full service scrap yard.  Anybody have any ideas which way we should go here?  The 10.67" dia. jug will weigh about 180 lbs. and the 15" ball, about 140 lbs.  We will start a new thread soon, so as not to get too far off this Montana Shoot topic, but a few ideas to get us started would be nice here.
Thank you gentlemen,

Mike and Tracy

How about the small size returnable propane bottles full of concrete . They have nice little handles for lifting ,and they have a nice egg shape and nozzel for filling ....? I wonder where old propane bottles go when they'er done???

Offline Double D

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
I2D, Yep, you're right I'll getter done!

Tropico, this would be a good chance to learn how to aim.  Even though we will be shooting a match, there i no better place to learn.  I know I will be.  That's the whole purpose of these get together, sharing knowledge.

M&T do we need to make notification to Nuclear Disarmament Committee that the impact they detect on there seismograph is not the detonation of a thermonuclear device.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »
     RocklockI,    We have no idea what the dia. of one of those gas bottles would be or where you could find a properly "deactivated and empty" one.   Get working on that 1.87" thk. poplar wood you found for those sabots; you can rip saw a long square, then use the mini-lathe to turn them to about .730", and cut them off at about 1.25" each.  Mike already made a form tool to create the ball socket. 

Double D,    We really don't worry too much about about international formalities or the activities of our regulatory agencies.  A bit of a thump will be audible upon touch-down, but earth tremors to 1,500 miles, I doubt it.  We are a little perplexed at the way the shoot is shaping up though.  The two groups we met at the Virginia shoots were very comfortable with the informal nature of the activities, engaging nature of the participants their willingness to share knowledge.  Their were none of the "secrets or advantages or edges" that competition always brings out.  Maybe we are misunderstanding all the rules and regulations and fees.  Maybe you can explain why you think they are necessary.  Everyone here needs to hear the % of time allotted for the competitive part and also the open shooting part. 

Regards,

Mike and Tracy