Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36757 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
Let me make this very clear.  This is NOT a Competition; it is a social gathering of model cannon shooters. There will be no prizes or shooting medals.  Scores will be noted but not taken.  I share your disdain for competitive shooting.  The cutthroat win at any cost, same guys win every time game lost its appeal for me many years ago.  But I also recognize competition has its value and can teach the techniques and equipment needed to shoot our guns.

I have in the past got together with the Buds and fired a few rounds off in the bushes and enjoyed myself immensely. The last one was in a driving rain storm and it was a blast. But there have been more than one of these gatherings that just flat out scared me and I left and never came back.  I'm not interested in that type of shoot

I'm not going try to duplicate or compete with what goes on in Virginia. Virginia has its own personality and I hope to experience that personality some time in the future.

You want to shot your cannon out across the prairie; well we are going to do that. We are going to provide you a place to shoot and targets to shoot at, just about as far out as you want.  That's the long range shooting event and will occupy the majority of the day.

You want to learn how to do more than just make noise and fling projectiles our across the prairie. Do you want to learn how aim your cannon or mortar and hit what you shoot at, well we are going do that with Cannon and Mortar Matches.  Part of learning how your cannon works, is to learn how to aim it and hit a target.

I don't envision this to be a gathering of a few guys getting together for bit of plinking.  I am expecting a good number people to show up. The club isn't going to stand for a bunch of guys getting together for uncontrolled grab ass on their range, so in the interest of safety, there has to be some structure. The structure comes with the two matches and gives us an appearance of legitimacy. You will find shooting at this gathering as engaging and as informative as the Virginia gathering in it’s own way.

The Gun Club charges a $5 day use range fee for non members to use the range. The only match fee is for shooting the two matches. The club will be providing targets and target stands

The only fee for the open shooting is the range fee, even though the club will be providing the targets for you to shoot at.

If you folks don't wish to shoot this format please say so now, I have plenty of other projects I can do. Just say the word.

So I don't waste anymore of my time let me hear everyone about wheather you want to shoot this format or not.  The next gun club meeting is February 10th and I can always tell then there is no interest in the match.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »
     Maybe I was a little blunt with some of those questions, but your answers are good solid ones and we are signing up right now.  You see, we very much appreciate your honesty and completeness with which you answered our concerns.  WE, like you, place SAFETY above all other considerations.  So there must be some structure to a shoot whether it be large competitive match or a relatively informal group. 

Double D quote
"The club isn't going to stand for a bunch of guys getting together for uncontrolled grab ass on their range, so in the interest of safety, there has to be some structure. The structure comes with the two matches and gives us an appearance of legitimacy. You will find shooting at this gathering as engaging and as informative as the Virginia gathering in it’s own way."

I want to make it crystal clear that we saw none of the highlighted activity in Virginia, not that you implied that this sort of thing went on there.  If anything like this activity you described went on at ANY shoot we have attended, we would have left the area in a New York nanosecond!  So, I believe that we all have SAFETY uppermost in our minds when it come to any type of shooting we do.

Good solid reasons for the rules have been explained and the fees are obviously not excessive at all, in fact very reasonable, so thank you Double D for providing this extra information.  The essence of this shoot was the way Double D started this explanation of the shoot structure and is appropriate for the closing of our post:

Double D quote   
"This is NOT a Competition; it is a social gathering of model cannon shooters. There will be no prizes or shooting medals.  Scores will be noted but not taken.  I share your disdain for competitive shooting.  The cutthroat win at any cost, same guys win every time game lost its appeal for me many years ago.  But I also recognize competition has its value and can teach the techniques and equipment needed to shoot our guns."

We will bring some effort to bear on the big mortar project very soon.  Thanks DD !  We are now very enthusiastic and looking forward to meeting a variety of GBO cannoneers at the Montana Shoot.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »
If I am able to go ., I will be up  for Double D or anyone else who wants to shoot my swivel and provide me shooting , aiming ., loading and cleaning  tips. I have never been to a cannon shoot., other than our own little thing with friends. I feel this may be my one and only chance to meet real cannoneers ., builders and  shooters alike.., before I leave for retirement overseas. I see it as a special event . If I can meet some of you and learn to aim  my coehorn at the same time., I consider it a cherished  honor and privelage actually to be able to go. My focus will be on paying attention to what others have to say as well as a little ooo-ing and awing at their hardware ., other than that mums the word from me. 

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 05:01:07 AM »
QUESTIONS:

Are these standard ranges?

A). Golf ball mortar 30 yds.. 
B). Cannon .1 and smaller 25 yds.. 
C). Cannon 1.0 and larger 50 yds..

In a shoot elsewhere, can "C" be reasonably limited to 1.75 maximum?

What range for soda/pop/beer can Mortars?

What's a "New York nanosecond"?

Richard

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:11 AM »
Richard,

I not sure what you mean by a shoot elsewhere? Are you thinking about putting on a shoot

Since this is not a competition of course we can limit it to what ever is  appropiate fit our needs.  We can also adjust range to 75 or even 100 yards. I would guess that the majority of the guns will be under 1.75.   But if we have only one gun larger what would we do?  Well, we'll do what ever is appropiate at the time.

My error big mortars at 100 yards.

Offline Double D

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »
Is this semantically more palatable?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
    It has a more friendly look to it, DD.  I'm pretty sure everyone in this group knows that compliance with specific Safety rules and Firing Range protocols will be expected of everyone attending.  Mike and I both are totally ignorant on how to aim a cannon without sights, so we are both attending that one for sure and we should know a bit more about how to aim a mortar too.  If anyone would like to aim and fire one of the seacoast guns, we would be happy to let you do that.

About that word, "semantically", isn't that one of those cattle breeding techniques?

Richard,  we are really surprised that a New Yorker like yourself hasn't heard of a "New York nanosecond" before.  Well anyway, our definition is simply the taking some action in the "shortest time possible".  It can be likened to an experience described by Sir Samuel Baker, that 19th century British explorer who, with his wife in tow, named Lake Albert in the upper Nile basin in April of 1864.  He also had a large, 2-Bore rifle he named "Baby" which fired 8 oz. machined brass shells just slightly over 1" in diameter with 20 drams of BP.  We like to think that he spun around in a New York nanosecond, because, by his own account, every time he touched off "Baby" he "spun around like a wind vane in a hurricane".

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
Good, now who is going to teach us how to aim a mortar.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
Hmmm.
It's just under 2200 miles (34 driving hours).

Any PD hunting in the area?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »
M&T: Oh! I am familiar with "nanosecond" but not a NY nano. It's like changing lanes on the L.I.E. (a.k.a. Psycho Path) at 2:00am during rush hour.

Double D: I'm looking into it. The ranges (having had zero experience) appear to be minimal and workable.  As of now, it is just a thought.

I was just denied an MRI by GHI today. They wrote in essence, that since I am in my 70's, an MRI would be pointless. Anti-inflammatory pain killers would be sufficient for a spinal injury. 

I am having it framed.

My cardiologist recently told me that if I keep-up with my Rx (since my stroke), I could live into my 90's. I'll have to get back to him and ask him to shave-off about 20 years since I cannot take anti-inflammatory pain killers.

I only mention this because I want you young guys to be careful and live into your 90's with the heavy iron. Go easy!

Oh well! We have to play the hand that we are delt.

Richard

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
Tim,

Around here there are no PD's. We have Gophers-Richardson Ground squirrels.  The Cannon shoot will be in August, the middle of the summer and it will be sweltering. When it gets hot the gophers estivate.  But we cans sure go look.  You better be ready for some super shooting. Gophers are about 1/3 the size of a Prairie dog.

The temepratures range for the past 10 years for August 8 are:

2008-89/54
2007-82/58
2006-93/54
2005-83/50
2004-65/43
2003-84/54
2002-64/45
2001-64/45
2000-87/46
1999-73/55

So be ready for some scorching hot weather.  You will be at about 3700 feet elevation so bring heavy sunscreen and plenty of water.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
At least I don't see any 100/xx temperatures there.  We get those down here occasionally.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 04:20:27 AM »
At least I don't see any 100/xx temperatures there.  We get those down here occasionally.

The highest recorded temperature for August 8th here in Cut Bank was 97 back in 1930 coldest temperature was 37 in 1980.

More trauma for you George only one traffic light, well actually two, if you count the flashing red light on Rail Road Ave.

On the positive side all the motel have wireless internet.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
And you actually have railroads.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Yes we have a Railroad and an Amtrak Station. 40 to 50 trains a day pass through Cut Bank.   In fact if the bridge in the attached picture that carries the railroad over Cut Bank Creek were destroyed it would have a major affect on the country's economy as this is one of the major eastwest rail lines.

If you fish bring your pole, fishing is good in Cut Bank Creek.

Just a point of interest.  This bridge fits into local cannon folklore.  The story goes that some years ago the local blackpowder club decided to shoot cannons from the bluff in the left of the picture to celebrate the Fourth of July. Well they started shooting and set the grass below the bluff on fire and it threatened the bridge.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »
Does the local blackpowder club still shoot cannons?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »
They are Buckskinners. The best part of the story is everyone has "heard" the story, but nobody admits to being there. And, nobody knows anyone with a cannon.

Offline Cannonmaker

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Doug,

I hope to make it to your shoot.  I am planning on doing a Gun Show in Mussoula in Augest, not sure what weekend it is in. 

Even though I build Cannons & Mortars I have never been to a cannon shoot.  It would be like going to school for most of us, we can learn lots from others.  I am a beliver that when we think we know everything about something, it is time for us to get out, for that is when we will be in trouble.

I am hoping to have a cannon shoot this spring here in Southern Idaho,  in Malta, 36 miles South East of Burley.  I am trying to work it out with a land owner.  I will not have a fee, just ask for donations to help cover the expences.  As soon as I get details I will make a post.

Good lick with your shoot.   

Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
 Gophers are about 1/3 the size of a Prairie dog.

Really?  The PD's we shot in S.D. were about 1-1/2 inches wide and 10" long.  Temps sounded reasonable.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
Is there any one comming with experience is shooting and aiming Mortars?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
I've shot mine plenty (concrete filled beer cans); don't know about the aiming part, though.   ;D

Hopefully I will have bored out the bowling ball mortar for full size bowling balls in time.  That's lots of fun.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
DoubleD,
So what constitutes signing up? If it is just saying I'll be there then "Ill be there". If it is something else, let me know.

Thx
MikeR C

Offline Double D

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
MikeR C you're signed up....I would like to hear an I'll be there from any one who is coming.   But it's a show up deal.

What are doing tomorrow, I am headed over to Brass and bullets, Woodland Park and the knee doctor. I am also going to meet the Montanan from GBO Montana Hunting forum for coffee when I hit town.  Drop a me PM with your contact number and I'll give you a call when I get in town.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
I work in Columbia Fall from 8:00 to 4:00, but haver to drive through Kalispell to get home. If you are going to be here after 4:00 or so I'm completely up for it!

Offline Double D

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
Looks like we'll have try another time.  I hope by 4 to be on my way back to Kalispell.  Don't want to drive the pass after dark in the winter.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »
Did you get your pics of the Woodland park cannon?
I tried to find SAMMC "rules" for cannon matches and didn't have much luck. I am particularly interested in rules for powder storage, transport to gun, and whether we need shields for the touch hole. Mostly I shoot my cannons at my sisters and the procedures may be a little "lax" for a formal shoot. Is there somewhere I can bone up on how you are gonna want things done?
Last but not least most of my cannons are small bored and are designed to fire firecrackers, (the latest built over Christmas shoots 1" smokeballs) will this be permitted?

Thank you,
MikeR C

Offline Double D

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
Use the AAA safety procedures as a guideline.  We won't have the regimented procedures, but we will observe basic safety procedures.  Load on command and fire on command.  But beyond that this is not a formal shoot.

If the muzzle of your is smaller than your base ring you will want to make a false muzzle.  I will cover how to make one of these a bit later. 

Bring what ever cannons you have.  Bring plenty of powder, bring plenty of ball. I'll have an extra connon or two.

Does anyone who is coming have access to sheet rock scraps who can make and bring targets. 

With all the talk about canister rounds, we should have a squad of sheet rock soldiers shouldn't we?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »
So I suppose Great Falls is the nearest source of relatively inexpensive dry wall.  Any idea how much per sheet there?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »
No we have at least three places in town to get drywall, I was looking for cheap...that's spelled F-R-E-E.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »
The problem with FREE around here is the size of the pieces.  They don't give away 4x8 pieces with just the corners dinged.

And then there is the issue of transporting the stuff to the range.

By the way, is dry wall a must?  How about corrugated paper (box material)?
GG
--Winston Churchill