Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36775 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
I can see a golf ball going in and bouncing out!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
Now if I remember correctly (which will be unusual for me), at the Casper Cannon Shoot a couple years ago, the organizers planted well down range, either an authentic or replica, just about full size, "out house", "privy", "toilet" or perhaps "crapper" to some.  Mortar shooting participants put a predermined amount of cash in the pot and whoever actually hit that target got the dough. I don't believe it was even hit at previous shoots either so the cash remained intact until the next shoot the following year.
It was quite amusing to watch and bet it'd be even more fun to participate - AND HIT IT.  Oh yeah, this was NOT an active crapper. ;D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
I actually thought about two shoots. Mortars some where between 200 and 300 yards and the mortar ball has to go inside the bucket.  Since we are dealing with scale mortars this could be pretty challenging. Of course Monstor Mortar would have to squish the bucket.

For cannons the bucket would be some where between 300 and 400 yards.   Just hit the bucket. Again a good challenge with scale guns.

And if those distances are too easy, the next year we move the buckets further out.

...good challenge ..I guess !!! :o ....400 yds ! yikes , I can shoot it that far but hitting anything...I hope you have a BIG bucket .

Blaster that is a great idea  :D. Instant visual gradification !!! But you better put it 600 or more for Mike and Tracy .

Those "Iron Clad Killers" they build will have fun with either bucket or crappers at that range (damn thats a good idea Blaster) ;D.
Hokie Mokie ! Also some more targets I hadn't seen B4 when Tim visited.

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
     Whoah, Gary!  Lets not raise expectations here, after all, we may want a little shout for hitting a 200 yard target, lets forget about the 400 or 600 yards stuff.  Never have done any practice at those ranges. 

We have been talking about what we would see if we were lucky enough to center punch the bucket target at some unknown range between 150 and 350 yards.  We think an accurate description of the Water Cooler Jug projectile impact straight down and aligned with the 5 gallon bucket would be:  The dark steak disappeared into the bucket which immediately disappeared from view and we do not believe that the bucket was obscured from view by the dust cloud which arose above it's former position.  We believe it was driven as if by a pile-driver, down below the surface of the prairie just about a second before the .....THUD.....was heard.  We are starting on the platform next week.

Having more fun than working folk are supposed to have,

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:26 AM »
It's going to be interesting to watching a 130 lb+/- arching off into the sky where the gentle Montana prairie breeze picks it up shoves it 30 yards off to the left and off course...lets see if the loader was right handed and loade form the right side would that be a hook or a slice?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have my serious doubts that a mortar ball can land in the bucket. Mortar balls don't come straight down.  I also have my serious doubts that a golf ball mortar ball can be made to land with in 10 feet of the bucket at between 200 and 300 yards (That's my double dog dare you X)...and if it does next year the bucket will be between 300 and 400 yards.   ;D ;D ;D

The Brookes and the Parrot rifles that Seacoast builds, what Iron clads would they have fired against?  Merrimac style or Monitor style?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »
     Let's hope the breezes are gentle, DD.  Not only do you have to dope the wind correctly, but you have to figure out some way to attain the range once you have figured out what it is.  Repeatable results at a known distance ain't easy with a mortar.  Lateral deflection is much easier to control, depending on the WIND CONDITIONS, of course.  We are sticking with 70 Deg. elevation, although some may think we are naive here, because the wind has more time to mess with our projectile's natural trajectory.  The reason for sticking with 70 Deg. is simple;  we want to attain the maximum height at ANY range for masonry-arch crushing impact on any given target.

The Brookes and the Parrot rifles that Seacoast builds, what Iron clads would they have fired against?  Merrimac style or Monitor style?

The 100 Pdr. Parrott was almost entirely used against land batteries and fortifications; very few opportunities were afforded it to compete with Confederate Iron-Clads.  The Battle of Trent's Reach was a rare exception.

http://www.oldgloryprints.com/Fredericksburg%20at%20Trents%20Reach.htm

The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle we are building now was designed as an Iron-Clad Killer and was actually the only Confederate gun to ever penetrate the Ericsson Devil's, (Monitor's), hull.  Sorry Dan, but the Monitor's Swedish inventor was not loved in the Confederate states.

On September 7th and 8th, 1863 the big 7" Treble-Banded Brooke, in Battery Marion on Sulivan's Island, (Charleston, South Carolina's outer harbor) was very busy indeed as she sent a baker’s dozen of her large shells over to the tip of Morris Island to greet the Federal troops taking over former Confederate positions abandoned before dawn. She repeatedly hit one monitor that came out for some action later that day. At dawn on the 8th, the hated Monitor Weehawken was spotted, stuck on a sand bar near Cumming’s Point.

That June the Weehawken defeated the well-armed, but unwieldy CSS Atlanta in Georgia’s Wassau Sound just south of Savannah. The Atlanta ran aground and four shots from Weehawken’s 15 inch Dahlgren Shell Gun at only 200 yards smashed 2 of Atlanta’s 4 Brooke rifles and created huge holes in her 4” iron casemate armor.

Sensing an opportunity for payback here, all the Sullivan’s Island batteries, including Battery Marion, Fort Moultrie and a few large guns at Fort Johnson opened up on the Weehawken, hoping to destroy her on the spot. They hit her 24 times, but only one shot went into the unprotected hull below the armored belt. It was a 7” hole, probably a bolt from the Treble-Banded Brooke.  Temporary repairs were made,
and the Weehawken was re-floated at high tide, later in the afternoon, and went back to her anchorage outside the bar.  Months later she sank at her anchorage near Morris Island, while riding out a gale.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:34 AM »

...good challenge ..I guess !!! :o ....400 yds ! yikes , I can shoot it that far but hitting anything...I hope you have a BIG bucket .

Blaster that is a great idea  :D. Instant visual gradification !!! But you better put it 600 or more for Mike and Tracy .

Those "Iron Clad Killers" they build will have fun with either bucket or crappers at that range (damn thats a good idea Blaster) ;D.
Hokie Mokie ! Also some more targets I hadn't seen B4 when Tim visited.

RocklockI, you had me chucklin' out loud with this one, and I'm not talking about how M&T's fine 100 pdr Parrott would perform at this range; their rifle I could easily imagine doing well at 600 yds, but if I was lucky enough to be able to go I wouldn't even bother with the effort of packing my little smoothbore cannons, I'd just throw my Model 700 in .308 into the trunk, and be on my way.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
Lets see. 70 Degrees, firing south prevailing wind out out of the SSW, remind me to stand on the west side of the mortar.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2009, 08:19:54 AM »
Henri Paixhans, the French designer of le Mortier Monstre, would encourage us to say, "Nous aussi"!! 

Mike and Tracy

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Doesn't Cat have a post where he was relating a story about firing one of his mortars at a high angle into a headwind, and having the shot land behind him?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
Doesn't Cat have a post where he was relating a story about firing one of his mortars at a high angle into a headwind, and having the shot land behind him?

Keeerect!  Dead of winter.  Was below -10f for 3 weeks (not unusual in Iowa).  Went out the the Skunk River just East of Ames.  (Not the North Skunk nor the South Skunk rivers.)

River was about 25-35 yards wide and a foot or two deep with 15-20' high straight-up banks - got us out of the wind.

Firing with the wind was OK.  Firing into the wind - watched the water filled soda-can go up, arching slightly down until the wind caught it - landed 20 yards or so behind us.  Hang time in the air was easliy 10 - 12 seconds or more.  Pleanty of time to maneuver around in case it were to have come closer.

Does the wind blow in Iowa?  Will the sun rise in the morning?  Is the Pope Catholic?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

Re: Montana Model Cannon Shoot--OT perhaps
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
Sometime in early July, the 4449 (Daylight 4-8-4 steam locomotive) will be passing through Cut Bank on its way to Owosso for the Trainfest.  No word on the return trip at this time.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »
After much review of my video, I think that 30 yards is a bit conservative for my golfball cannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6AdQJUaWJg&feature=channel_page
"Common Sense IS NOT An Inherited Trait"

JT

Offline Double D

« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
When you shoot a gun, cannon or mortar it's always nice to know where the projectile lands.  Noise and smoke is fun, seeing the impact is better.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »
After much review of my video, I think that 30 yards is a bit conservative for my golfball cannon.

30 yards with a GB mortar is doable, and challenging! I've done it. Getting the balls to land near a stake at that distance is a little science, a little voodoo, and a whole lotta luck!

Fifty yards is a really good short-range shooting distance for golfballs. That's the range we used for Mortar BINGO.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2009, 04:41:24 AM »
Fifty yards is a really good short-range shooting distance for golfballs. That's the range we used for Mortar BINGO.

Agree, 30 yards is more difficult than 50 or more with the GB mortars.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Reminder

Offline Double D

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
Here's the directions to the range.

First follow your map-GPS-instinct to Cut Bank MT.

From the EAST (I-15-Shelby) Go to the traffic light and turn right-north .

From the WEST  go to the traffic light and turn left-north.

From the NORTH, if you see this, stop and turn around and go back North, you missed the first turn.

From the traffic light go north 2.3 miles to Lahr Road. Olson Road is on the left, west.  Lahr Road is on the right east.

If you are coming from the North this is where you should have turned instead of going on into town. Lahr Road is on the left, east.   Olson Road is on the right west.

Turn East on Lahr Road.

Go 3 miles east on Lahr Road to the T intersection with Meadowbrook Road.

Turn left-north on Meadowbrook Road and go 1 mile to Hope Road.

Turn right-east  on Hope road and go 1 mile to the Cut Bank Sportsman Club.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
clear as mud..."Who's on First?" ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
Is it FLAT there?
I thought there were mountains all around!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »
We got Mountains.  You can see Glacier National Park from the range...70 miles west.

If you continue east from the range about 2 1/2 mile you will find yourself sitting on top of a cliff looking out over the Prairie below

Offline Double D

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Here's some more mountains.

Here's one of Glacier Park taken from the top of the hill in Town, this past winter.

And here is the Sweetgrass Hills taken last winter also.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
Nice clouds in the top pic ,and good colors in the bottom . 8)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »
Well, it looks like I am coming.  I just made reservations in Valier. 
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2009, 12:51:13 PM »
George, this is good to hear.  So that make that makes two people that will be there...you and me!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
George, this is good to hear.  So that make that makes tow people that will be there...you and me!

How many peepopos? ;D

I intendend to be there ....but then I decided  welll umm OK . I now intend to be there . ;D  That makes thro ub us now ..mn

Eta i tried correct an unintentional mistake B4 it was noticed ....... as not to look like a Gomer .  ;D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
After driving 1350 miles one way, I am going to be pretty underwhelmed if there are only two or three people at this shoot.

>:( >:(
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:51 PM »
George, this is good to hear.  So that make that makes tow people that will be there...you and me!

How many peepopos? ;D

I intendend to be there ....but then I decided  welll umm OK . I now intend to be there . ;D  That makes thro ub us now ..mn

Eta i tried correct an unintentional mistake B4 it was noticed ....... as not to look like a Gomer .  ;D

don't be making fun of my key board...it has dyslexia and is sensitive... :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Gun club meeting tonight...I was given a piece of steel plate to make some targets from.   One Iron clad for sure, any other Ideas for shapes?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »
So how BIG is this piece of steel ?

Do you think a horizonal "gongage" so it would ring , might work for mortars ?

Maybe hang it abit from big tent stakes with chains ?

I won't be a bell ringer with either gun or mortar . 

I still like the toilet/s target idea ....IIRC Blaster suggested . If not Blaster , please accept my appoligies/ DDs keyboard too . ;)

gary