Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36809 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »
The piece is 15 feet long by 18 inches wide.

I am going to cut one in a Pook Turtle silhouette.  Anbody have any idea how tall they were from water line to upper deck?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
Showing my ignorance but I have to ask .....a.... Pook Turtle  ;D ? I'll bite . What is a Pook turtle ?

I ask because I'm not at all sure what "Pook Turtles" is/are  ???.

If I was to guess , Pook Turtles have been extinct or against the law for 15-140million years . And with any luck at all they will not come back . But that is just a guess ,and I could be wrong ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
     Based on an original photo with several standing sailors in it, we believe that the distance from the waterline to the lower edge of the casemate is 2 feet and from the waterline to the casemate top is 12 feet on the City Class gunboats designed by Samuel M. Pook. 

There were seven of these "Pook Turtles" built for the Union Navy by James B. Eads in 1861.  At 175 feet in length and 51.5 feet across the beam, they were built to be used on the western rivers and drew only 6 feet of water despite weighing 512 tons each.  They had 122 tons of wrought iron armor of 2.5" thickness sloped in the bow and stern sections at 35 degrees.  Heavily armed, each had 12 heavy guns mainly 32 and 42 pdrs. and 8" shell guns.  They also had some rifled 42 pdrs. based on the James System and some 30 pdr. Parrott rifles.  The story of these vessels is fascinating, especially the Federal Ironclad Cairo, the first military warship to ever be sunk by an electrically detonated torpedo. We visited the Mississippi River Museum on Mud Island in Memphis, Tennessee and saw a full size re-creation of a City Class Ironclad bow section complete with the huge iron cannon made by South Bend Replicas.  VERY interesting museum!

FYI,                         St. Louis, Cairo, Mound City, Cincinnati, Carondelet, Louisville and Pittsburg

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »
You going to slope the armor or make it straight up like a silhouette?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:27 AM »
Just a flat Silhouette 21 7/8 long by 18 inch high, sloped on the ends, just  a clanger  hanging from chain at 100 yards. The plate is only 1/4 inch thick.  I was a bit concerned about plate that thin getting dimpled dent and holed pretty  bad and pretty quick.  The club said, no problem, we'll get something else for next  year.  What was the angle of slop of the armor?

I am also working on some ideas for field gun and naval gun targets made out plywood. I might make a couple of these as clangers.    I also believe the club has some standard free standing falling plate targets we can set up.

Mortars can shoot at the clangers and silhouettes also.

Anybody else got any ideas for targets?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2009, 06:14:42 AM »

Just a flat Silhouette 21 7/8 long by 18 inch high, sloped on the ends, just  a clanger  hanging from chain at 100 yards. The plate is only 1/4 inch thick.  I was a bit concerned about plate that thin getting dimpled dent and holed pretty  bad and pretty quick.  The club said, no problem, we'll get something else for next  year.  What was the angle of slop of the armor?

What do these dimensions refer to?

35 degrees

Anyone know if you can bend sheet rock by applying water and pressing it on wooden forms, like a form for a Monitor turret?

T&M

Offline Double D

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »

What do these dimensions refer to?

35 degrees

Anyone know if you can bend sheet rock by applying water and pressing it on wooden forms, like a form for a Monitor turret?

T&M

One of them is off isn't.  Where did I get that number.....must have been asleep...18 inch high scale would be would be overt 21 feet long not inches 

12 feet equals 18 inches

175 feet divided by 12  equals 14.5833 12 fot sections

14.5833 times 18 equals 262.5 inches.

262.5 divided 12 equals 21.875 feet.

If that's right this time, then those ironclads were long!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
What kind of trophies are you going to have for those that hit the most targets/are closest to the bucket?
Were you able to smuggle that fine looking cannon club artillery shell trophy home?  ;D  ::)

I think I've got some trench art around the house somewhere that could be used if you're interested.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »
Trophies are for competitions...no trophies. 

SAMCC wouldn't even let me take the one home that I won at the last Match...

You will take home from this event, good memories and warm friendships. 

The bucket events are pot matches.  You put you mortar ball in the bucket you get half the pot.  You hit the bucket with your cannon and you get half the pot. The other half goes to club.  I will be placing the buckets and they won't be close and will be beyond any range we shoot that day.  The bucket Matches will be the last events of the day.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
What is SAMCC ?

You get half the pot for hitting OR putting it in it ?

From the looks of Tracys new mortar I have to ask ,what would crushing the bucket flat get you ? ......a bill for a new bucket ! :D :D :D

That monster will be something to see . I saw the base wood material today ,proly ten to twelve, 12' long x 6x6" ... square . Yi Curumba ! 8)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2009, 02:58:54 AM »
SAMCC is the South African Miniature Cannon club and I miss them.

If you are shooting a mortar and your mortar ball lands in the mortar bucket you get half the mortar bucket pot.

If you shoot a cannon and you hit the cannon bucket you get half the cannon bucket pot.

If you are shooting a mortar and you hit the cannon bucket, you get another shot at the mortar bucket for a buck, after you go down range an replace the cannon bucket.

If you are shooting a cannon and you hit the mortar bucket, you get another shot at the cannon bucket for a buck, after you go down range and replace the mortar bucket.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2009, 06:33:27 AM »
Other things you will need. There is no facilities on the range. We will have a porta potty for the Guys and the Ladys will have access to my travel trailer. Bring lawn chairs and folding tables, sunscreen, hat, water and snacks.

I am working the details for having a Pot-luck Braai BYOM after the shoot. We can do this in my backyard or at the City park. Sorta depends on what the City charges and how many people there are. The grocery store has a deli where you can get pot luck items.

We won't have any door prizes, I tried, we got no donations.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
The word braaivleis is Afrikaans for "roasted meat."

The word braai (pronounced "bry", rhyming with the word "cry"; plural braais) is Afrikaans for "barbecueBarbecue
Barbecue or barbeque is a method and apparatus for cooking food, often meat, with the heat and hot gases of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal and may include application of a marinade, spice rub, or Basting barbecue sauce to the meat....
" or "roastRoasting
Roasting is a cooking method that uses dry heat, whether an open flame, oven, or other heat source. Roasting usually causes caramelization or Maillard reaction of the surface of the food, which is considered a flavour enhancement....
" and is a social custom in BotswanaBotswana
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
Braai, braai, braai, it 's Afrikaans for barbecue.  The South African's conduct a braai at every social gathering or hat drop.  Every SAMCC shoot ended witha a braai.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
What a WONDERFUL traditon!

Don't know yet if I can make it.  Too much flux in the economy - affecting our business etc.  It likely will be a last minute decision based on what's happening at the plant that week/month.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
The ecomony is pinching here also...but as long as we have a good gopher crop we should have plenty to eat....not. 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
Braai'd gopher?  ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2009, 05:25:31 AM »
We'll find some sort of fancy name for it, like prairie squab or something.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
     Gary and Blaster,     You guys are still more than welcome to join us for the little 750 mile jaunt up to Cut Bank, MT.  It should be fun, a good chance to get acquainted or reminisce about adventures of days gone by.   

Mike and Tracy

Mike and Tracy or perhaps I should say Tracy and Mike (don't know who has the most "time in grade") ;D
Thought I'd better advise that there is only a very slim chance that I'll be able to make the Cut Bank shoot.  Rather than keeping you two chaps wondering if OLD Blaster is going have to be hauled up to MT by you guys as you had offered, I'd better bow out right now and then you'll have room for more artillery to take along up North.  There is only an extremely remote chance that I'll still be able to attend as the following weekend is a huge family reunion that I HAVE to show up at.  If it does work out that I CAN go, I'll be driving up myself.  So, many thanks for the kind offer to haul this old fellow along from CO to MT. :) 
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Double D

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Oh man, that is omimus sounding...should we even have a shoot if Blaster can't come?   Yes, yes sadly we'll do it, it won't quite be what it could be if he joined us...but we will survive :(

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
     Bob,   I met a few graduates of West Point years ago while in the U.S. Army.  I was actually looking forward to meeting one who I wouldn't have to salute!  Well we sure hope your family reunion goes great and maybe someday we will combine some cannon shooting at your place with a little jaunt south to the NRA's Whittington Center in northern New Mexico.  Could be fun.  I don't recall who has more "time in grade", Blaster, but thirty years and three businesses later, we still remain, two independent, opinionated, SOBs who are still having more fun than working people are supposed to have!

We are still working on the big mortar bed; it's coming along fine and we will post some pics when construction is finished and after it's all painted.  After all we couldn't offend DD's sensibilities in such a monstrous way by showing up with 500 pounds of bare beams, could we?  I wasn't really looking, but just happened to notice, on DD's recent Montana Arsenal thread that his Douglas Fir, 4-truck naval carriage has been sans paint for over Twenty Years, 20 YEARS!not that it matters to us at all, of course.  All we can figure is some people up there in Cut Bank started talking and now, out of the blue, he's decided to buy some paint!  Ah well, better late than never I always say and I bet he does a beautiful job on it!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline Double D

« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
Actually, if it weren't for the fine folks at Sea Coast Artillery, I still would't know the correct color for the carriage. 

That is not Douglas Fir.  That is honey locust.  You want some hard wood try that stuff.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »
Congratulations are in order for you DD; not only did you get a wood named for you- Douglas Fir, but you also got the Montana Model Cannon Shoot/Seminar mentioned in the newest issue of The Artilleryman magazine.  Way to go! You the man!!    8) 8)

Offline Double D

« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
...can some one send me a copy?  Artilleryman has promised a stack of back issues as give aways at the shoot.  They are the only door prizes I was able to arrange. Nobody else was intersted in donating anything.  Maybe next year. I will have to write a report in follow up for Artilleryman.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
We can ROCK  8) their world this year and have them beg us to come back next year ....! "Sometimes you have to burn the village to save it...." ;D

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
"Sometimes you have to burn the village to save it...." ;D

I like it!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
"Sometimes you have to burn the village to save it...." ;D

I like it!

Isn't it........... your supposed to pillage before you burn the village not after?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:12 AM »
Been trying to green things up on the range for you.  Here's yesterdays effort.

Got 4 more inches this morning

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Door Prizes .......
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
I will gladly donate these items as door prizes , with the down turn of the economy , My business is going broke . So to save time , I will give away some of my inventory thus speeding the death process of what used to be a thriving business ...  :'(   ;D  Just kidding , but if it takes door prizes these are for the taking .
One single Iron Gopher , One set of twins , one 4 pack .

I know they are not cannon related but they are fun plinking with .22 rim fire  (not Magnum)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Mortar Target
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
How about a tractor tire ? I have several 42" rim sized tires out back  . Over all diameter is close to 6'
Can Bury it standing for cannon shoot with sheet rock in the hole , or lay it flat for mortar shoot . I'm going to practice on a tire for 200 yards shot .
I want to be able to lay in a round on my pond with fair accuracy . Grand kids have to retrive ball from pond with a jon boat   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .