Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36815 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
Ernie, we will gladly take the Swinging gophers as door prizes.  Thank you for your gracious donation.  We will make them available via a drawing. Anyone shooting a cannon or mortar at the shoot will be be eligible for the drawing.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Mortar Target
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
How about a tractor tire ? I have several 42" rim sized tires out back  . Over all diameter is close to 6'
Can Bury it standing for cannon shoot with sheet rock in the hole ,
  or lay it flat for mortar shoot . I'm going to practice on a tire for 200 yards shot .
I want to be able to lay in a round on my pond with fair accuracy . Grand kids have to retrive ball from pond with a jon boat   ;D

::) Umm........ Are you bringing a catchers mitt on the off chance of a "REBOUND" ?  :o
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
How about a tractor tire ? I have several 42" rim sized tires out back  . Over all diameter is close to 6'
Can Bury it standing for cannon shoot with sheet rock in the hole , or lay it flat for mortar shoot . I'm going to practice on a tire for 200 yards shot .
I want to be able to lay in a round on my pond with fair accuracy . Grand kids have to retrive ball from pond with a jon boat   ;D

Those are some pretty big tires for these guys to shoot at.  Since down range is CPR we can't dig.  I'm not sure our portable Target stands could hold a tire that big.  And at 200 yards or less i would indeed be worried about Bounce back.  Now set one on the ground flat at 200 yards for the mortar would be O.K.  We'd have to haul them away the day after the match.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
I guess quit messing around on the computer and get back to the shop . Got to get the winches ,load cranes etc. done on the 1 ton and trailer .  Can haul tires and retrive them if needed . How about the inner tubes ? They would inflate up nicely . Fill the centers with drillers mud (aka Bentonite ) Any projectile falling in there would be there !   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Also should mention there is trailer/camping  spots available here in Sunburst . 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »
Can Bury it standing for cannon shoot with sheet rock in the hole , or lay it flat for mortar shoot . I'm going to practice on a tire for 200 yards shot .

gotta respect that ! who wouldnt want be able to rule his own pond ! ;D a mans pond is his......

what size are 'the balls' that get retrieved by the grandkids. how deep is this pond . im just wondering .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
Pond is 3 acres , balls are bowling balls  ;D The shallow end is wild life nesting area , depth is about 6"to 3 ' depending on time of season . I feed it with a gravity flow water system . When not watering the yard if flows into the pond .  Owl is currently nesting in the Goose nest . Goose went to a pond 1 1/2 mile south on the other farm .  It's fun to be the Keeper of the Kingdom ....

Offline Double D

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
How's this for a target for 50 and 100 yards.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
Counter battery fire is of the TOP priority when it comes to targets!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
Made some more targets today.

Offline Double D

« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
Anybody coming to the shoot who will be passing through Madison, WI who might be able to stop and see Joel Black and pickup a light table for me?

Offline Double D

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
Well the Lady at Ben Franklin Store is upset with me about this match.  I have set up my DOM Dictator with Cannon shoot handbills at the front of her store.  What she's up set about is the shoot is on Saturday and she has to work. So that tells me I need to make something clear.

The organized events will be held on Saturday.  Sunday will be open shooting for load development and experimentation...Oh, Mike and Tracy to pacify the Ben Franklin Lady, I told her if she comes out to the range Sunday, you guys would let her shoot the Monster!!! Sorry I should have asked first...It did partially appease her...I said partially because her grandkids will miss the shoot, they'll be here 4th of July...I offered to run out to her place and set the cannons up for the kids to shoot, 4th of July, just doing my civic duty.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
Oops, wrong thread for that subject.
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2009, 04:53:03 AM »
We are moving to the next level with the targets.  Southpaw has the steel plate and is going to cut some out. Think you can knock them down at 100 yards?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2009, 07:12:11 AM »
DD I love it when an event takes on a life of it's own like this one has!

Just wish it was closer.........  :-[
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »
Well, Thank's KABAR,  do understand about far...especially after driving by the gas station yesterday and seeing the price of gas.

Southpaw was asking me yesterday who's going to be at the shoot.  I honestly had to tell, him that I only knew for sure, that I would be there.  I know others are making plans also, and I look forward to seeing them here in Montana.

I was talking with Tracy yesterday on the phone about the shoot, he and Tracy have made their reservations...I know George has also.

If this shoot is sucessful, even moderate attendance, we might make this an annual event. 

Tracy and I also discussed future shots.  The majority of the Cannon shoots that go one around the country are for full sized guns, or at least focus on full sized. I am not aware of any shoots aimed at small scale or model cannons.   

I suggested that we might keep this shoot  for small scale guns, say nothing larger than Half scale.  Does anyone have any comments on this idea?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »
I have no problem with full scale guns as long as the smaller ones are still welcome.  One of these days, I will have a pretty large homemade cannon (66" long.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »
I suggested that we might keep this shoot  for small scale guns, say nothing larger than Half scale.  Does anyone have any comments on this idea?
I have no problem with full scale guns as long as the smaller ones are still welcome.  One of these days, I will have a pretty large homemade cannon (66" long.)

If your club's range has the room to host them, why discriminate against those that own full scale artillery?
This isn't exactly on this topic, but it just brought to mind the fact that I don't ever recall anyone on this board that owns original, or full scale reproduction ordnance that has ever made reference to "toys", or that other rib dig disguised as a compliment, "nice little gun," that a few of the people that own those huge 19, and 21-inchers have sometimes used when describing the smaller guns. Don't these folks realize that anything built under 1:3 scale is as a general rule classified as a miniature.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
How's this for a target for 50 and 100 yards.

How come nobody pointed out the part I forgot to cut out?  :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
What part??  ;D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »
     Nice talking with you DD;  our position on the gun size quandry, is pretty much in alignment with George's comments.  We think that the emphasis of the Montana Model Cannon Shoot can be on scale guns, but you can word the shoot announcements in such a way as to encourage small gun participation, but not ban full scale guns.  After all, we might want to build a full scale British Screw Gun someday, and we certainly want to see George's 66" cannon at a shoot in the future.  It would be a shame to ban these guns and others like them from the Montana Shoot.  The shoot's location will prevent most full scale guns with their heavy trailers from showing up anyway.

We hope to have the steel for the Paixhans mortar tube chamber in hand by week's end.  Get this, last Friday one of the machine shops bidding on the job said to Mike and I, as they looked at the drawings, "seamless tubing, eh?  Well now, we'll just make a 12.5" OD, 11.0" ID by 28" long tube right here in our shop from SOLID stock we have left over from a paper mill roller contract!!"  Both Mike and I had that hammer struck, beef critter look on our faces.  The owner saw us and hastened to say,  "Takes no time at all when you can drill up to 9" and heavy bore from there."  As we could muster was a weak,......"O.K."  Wow, what a place; one of their horizontal mills was as big as our whole shop!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
 one of their horizontal mills was as big as our whole shop!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Tim Taylor would drool and say more power!

but like it's been said many a time the right tool for the right job......... there is a machine shop in this area that has a lathe that has what appears to be a 8ft to 10ft swing on it it runs most of the length of the building I think they use it for
propeller shafts......... it's amazing as we continue to go towards CNC and the like what this country has produced
in machinery in the past and that for at least another 30 to 50 years before computers take the job over completely
these machines will continue their long service life.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2009, 12:32:34 AM »
   Get this, last Friday one of the machine shops bidding on the job said to Mike and I, as they looked at the drawings, "seamless tubing, eh?  Well now, we'll just make a 12.5" OD, 11.0" ID by 28" long tube right here in our shop from SOLID stock we have left over from a paper mill roller contract!!"

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Sounds like a good place to have filed in your cannon rolodex!

Can they make the bbl and chamber from one piece? Maybe you could have them drill some lightening holes from the rear if it's too heavy. Heck, have them make the thing full diameter and forget about the sheet metal facade.  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
Was out at the range this afternoon.

The fallow field just beyond 600 yards has been planted. No big deal. I suspect most of our shooting will be way under that any way. Besides if we get the range work done we have been promised, that will 700 yards.  All depends on when the "good ole boy" shows up with his bull dozer.

We currently have Targets up 25, 100 and 250 yards.  We have gongs at 350 and 500. 

I am putting on a Victorian Rifleman Provincial Shoot on the Range in Late June and I am planning on putting up a 500 yard target for that event.  I can put the 500 yard target up for our cannon shoot.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
     Sounds like some real nice range improvements are planned, Double D.  Say, a certain two fellows we know who will be attending the shoot are going to be shooting very heavy mortar projectiles.  If they were to trail a logging chain with several hooks behind their GMC Suburban, would they be allowed to drive to the impact area at 100 to 300 yards to retrieve a few fired projectiles during a Cease-Fire and drag them back to the firing line? 

We are looking forward to this shoot so much that we are packing the trailer already!  In fact the packing is just about finished except for a few minor items.  See pic below:

Did we forget anything?  We have CU_Cannon's Coehorn that we bought last summer, our shop-built Mallet's Mortar Jr.(1/56th scale) and Gary's little brass firecracker mortar.  He's pretty sure he going to take his sport's car to Montana, so he doesn't have room for it!  Oh, and a tin of powder charges.  That's about it.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

We have avoided putting a coat of British Grey on Mallet's Mortar Jr. up until now, but in light of DD's recent painting frenzy, I guess we will have to finally do it.  Add painting to the list!

Offline Double D

« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »
The impact zone is CRP, no dragging nothing and tearing up the ground...no going down range and recover nothing, I'm keeping it all for myself!!!!!! ;D

Okay seriously, we have an access road that runs down range and we will have a pause for round recovery.  You can probably us my wife's green ORRW to recover rounds. You will have to negotiate terms with her. Any one firing recoverable rounds need to be sure to mark your rounds.  Next month I will lay out reminder list of things to bring.  Thngs like sunscreen, table, chairs shovel, water, snacks, etc.

Offline Double D

« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
Oh and the heat has started, it was 90 degrees this afternoon!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
Oh and the heat has started, it was 90 degrees this afternoon!

And I bet you don't have a morning marine layer like we do down here.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
I've been plowing through this topic playing catch-up.  There seems to be a discussion concerning models, scaled down pieces, etc..  

Since alot of attendees submissions will discharge "golf balls", why not just entertain, "golf ball & under"?  

Sure; I have a 500 lb. full size piece but it handles golf balls, just as some other pieces that are very small and that are lighter than a case of beer do.  So what's the diff"?

Any piece that isn't an "original" and is modeled after an original or similar something or other BUT is in a sub-caliber, is a "model"; right?

Change it to "miniature" and you still have golf balls.

I'm just thinking with a key-board and wondering. Maybe this has been stated within these 8 pages already?  I myself won't be attending but only because of distance. My wife wants to attend and I've have to say, "no".  If I'm recovered and well enough, I'd like to try Virginia in October.

We live in hope and die in despair.  BTW my widow will be using these classifieds :'(
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »
At 3800 feet, we are closer to the sun, and the air is thinner. 

If we do the Cannon shoot again, it will probably be just as it is now.  I tossed out the idea of perhaps restricting to model guns  for discussion only.