Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36802 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:28 AM »
We shoot the Victorian Rifleman shoot this past weekend on the range we will be using for the cannon shoot.  We had a great time and everyone was pretty enthusiastic about the shoot.

Some issues came up that need addressed for the cannon shoot.  Most are simple logistical problems, easily solved.  Others we will have to work around.  But all in all I think we will have a good shoot. Probably the most notable is there is no cover on the range. Bring a hat, lots of sunscreen and a hat.

I am going to have to build some target stands and maybe cut some grass.  RV Mike has a bunch of old rail road ties that  we can put out to hold our steel targets.

Here's what the range looked like this past Saturday before the shooting started.

Notice how talll the grass is.  We might have to put the early arrivers behind a lawnmower.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:44 AM »
     Concealment only makes shooting more challenging.  Now if you tell us you also have cover for some of the targets, then we will need an experienced FO to go downrange call corrections for those of us with mortars, that would be most, I believe.  I sure hope that East Coast U.S. Army Artilleryman, Retired moderator guy shows up!!  If there is anyone who can help us, it's him!

The range looks just like Warren Zevon's Werewolf's hair........PERFECT.  Mike and I will sign up for some grass mowing right now. 
We have had computer problems for the past four days now.  Mike was breathing fire every time he talked to the various help desks.  From his reaction to the advice from the last one, I'm thinking the help desk duties had been outsourced to someone in a cave in eastern Afganistan!

Update on the Monster Mortar build tonight,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2009, 08:57:26 AM »
Scared ya didn't I!!!!

Just heard from the land owner.  He is going to cut the grass for hay!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
If you have a combine, I will help with the grass cutting.  My 21" Sears is not going to make much of a dent in that stuff.  I will bring a couple of the folding canopies (about 10' x 10' each) for shade.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »
George,

You canopies are most welcome if they can stand up to sustained 15 to 20 mph winds with gust to 30.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
George,
You canopies are most welcome if they can stand up to sustained 15 to 20 mph winds with gust to 30.

Anchor them with the BIG cannon balls!   ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »
Normally I nail them down with 100d nails.  Depends how well consolidated the soil is.  I'll bring them and we can decide at the time whether to deploy them.  Maybe add some guy lines.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
I was  out at the range to day and the farmer was haying.  We will have stubble to contend with and may still run the lawnmower brigade.  But it will be a lot easier than running lawsnmowers over the uncut grass.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
Normally I nail them down with 100d nails.  Depends how well consolidated the soil is.  I'll bring them and we can decide at the time whether to deploy them.  Maybe add some guy lines.

I have a love-hate relationship with canopies...

I bought an expensive EZ-UP for my Wife's craft shows when they first came out. Had to cut out kinked sections and re-weld the posts twice before I finally put it out on the curb with its third set of bends. It would have been about 4' tall had I cut it again.

They do make a 110 degree day bearable if they don't turn into a steel tumbleweed. Models I've tried didn't do all that well in wind, even when I strapped 30# bars of lead to the legs.

Now I have a big hat  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:52 AM »

I have a love-hate relationship with canopies...

I bought an expensive EZ-UP for my Wife's craft shows when they first came out. Had to cut out kinked sections and re-weld the posts twice before I finally put it out on the curb with its third set of bends. It would have been about 4' tall had I cut it again.

They do make a 110 degree day bearable if they don't turn into a steel tumbleweed. Models I've tried didn't do all that well in wind, even when I strapped 30# bars of lead to the legs.

Now I have a big hat  :)

When I was selling at the military vehicle show I did a trade for a Medical tent frame, the thing is huge, I can fit my pickup under it and still have plenty of room all the way around,

used a store bought tarp with it,  if you have the carrying capacity (frame is heavy) surplus is a good way to go, it's free standing 1 man can assemble and won't blow away in a heavy wind.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

Re: canopies for the Montana Model Cannon Shoot
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
I haven't tried either of these in high winds so we will just have to see what happens.  I am going to use them this coming weekend at the Old Fort MacArthur Days 2009 show; we'll see what happens.

By the way, do we need to bring our own lawnmowers?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
No, I will find a mower to fit you.  In fact after to days shooting, I probably will be spending some time on the range and will be taking the mower with me.

By the way a low hit on Graveyard Battery with a 58 caliber ball will not knock the target over.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »
DD I was looking at your pics, and have a question . is there any chance of recovering the balls . maybe i should buy a cheap metal detector .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
Re: canopies for the Montana Model Cannon Shoot
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
I am going to use them this coming weekend at the Old Fort MacArthur Days 2009 show; we'll see what happens.

I may see you there on Sunday.

If you're in one of the protected areas near where the guns were mounted you should have no problem  :)

Up on top it's usually pretty windy...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2009, 04:49:42 AM »
DD I was looking at your pics, and have a question . is there any chance of recovering the balls . maybe i should buy a cheap metal detector .

Gary,

Yes, we will be able recover balls.  We will be shooting mostly into a basin about 300 yards across.  only on the long range shots might ball be lost.

Yesterday I shot the same ball over and over all day long.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2009, 05:23:06 AM »
I have a" White " metal detector I will bring . But .... there is sooo much lead down range  ???

Here Are a couple of clips from yesterday here @ the farm .
They will play in windows Media player  but be cautioned , it is a several minute down load.

Doug with his Mortar
http://www.northerntel.net/~etaft/MVI_0174.AVI
My close shot ... ::)
http://www.northerntel.net/~etaft/MVI_0141.AVI
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2009, 05:49:32 AM »
I was trying to put the ball in a tire.  Ernie was aiming at bowling pins.   I never hit the tire and Ernie neve hit the pins. But you would not beleive how close we got consistantly.  Ernies crew hit within 12 to 18 inches of the pins and kept bouncing over. 

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2009, 06:45:26 AM »
I just went out to find the last power shot . 1900 feet . It was the 10.35 lb ball with 3.5 oz of Fg.
We had to look for 1/2 hour out in the stubble field to find it.
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2009, 07:00:19 AM »
I may see you there on Sunday.

I will be at the CMP table which will likely be behind the battery.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
I strongly urge you to prepare your charges before you come to Montana.   We will have a restricted area north of the range set up for you to make charges.  This will be the only area you will be allowed to "pour from the can".  It will be in the wide open windy prairie.

On the range behind the firing line we will have a safety zone where you can keep your charges and such.  You can use wrapped charges or loose powder. You will only be allowed to take one charge at a time to the firing line.  Find some sort of container to hold loose charges.

Plastic 35 mm film canisters can usually be had for the asking at most photo processing sites.  The film canisters appear to be static free.  Plastic medicine bottle could also be used, but check them for static first.

I want to restate this but with just a slightly different emphasis. 

I strongly urge you to prepare your charges before you come out top the range.     

We will have a restricted area north of the range set up for you to make or adjust charges.  This will be cross and slightly up wind of the firing line and will probably constitute a folding table set up behind my truck.  I will have scales and powder measurers and funnels.   This will be the only area you will be allowed to "pour from the can".  It will be in the wide open windy prairie and conditions will be primitive.   I also suggest you have a base charge to which you can add or remove increments.  I was removing 70 grains from every charge yesterday just account for the change from cannon grade to Fg.  The 3800 foot elevation and 80 degree/ 40% humidity weather may affect your loads also.

The other reason we would like you to have your charges made up before your arrive on the range is so everyone isn’t standing around waiting for you while you build a charge. We are gathering to shoot, not stand around.  That doesn’t mean we are going to compromise safety. A loaded gun sitting on the line, in the hot sun, primed waiting to fire while some one builds a load is a hazard.  We will wait as long as it is safe.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
so chambered guns like  a mortar will need a packaged charge ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »
so chambered guns like  a mortar will need a packaged charge ?

No.

But it would be helpful if you had your loads weighed out an put in some sort of container before you get to the range.  You will not be allowed to pour powder from flask or can on the firing line. You can pour a premeasured load into your cannon or mortar.  My 58 calibar cannon uses loose powder.   I weigh each charge out and put them in film canisters at home, then charge the cannon with one of them.

THe loading area behind the firing line is where you would go to adjust you load, or make more charges.

Offline Double D

« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »
Okay Here's the early plan, always subject to change.

We will have a long firing line. On the East end of the line I am going to set up a small cannon firing line.  I am going to set up Paper targets, a 30 yard golf ball mortar range, and some knock down targets on that range.  This is where the Aiming a Cannon Seminar will be held.

THe rest of the range will be for longer range shooting, although targets can be set up shorter to longer range.  I am also going to put up a 100 yard and 200 yard Mortar Aiming Post.  There will be a mowed 100 foot circle around these poste.    We can put up other targets. as needed.  We will also be able to shoot How far will it go-safely shots out quite a long distance.

There will be other novelty targets on the range.

But what other targets do we need? Here's a roll call and what I think you might want and what I can set up for you.

Seacoast Artillery- Mike and Tracy

Monster mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Any thing else?

GGaskill-confirmed.

Mountain Howitzer. 100 yard and 200 yard target

Golf Ball mortar.  30 yard golf ball mortar range

Bowling Ball Mortar. 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Rocklock

Dom Cannon.  100 yard and 200 yard target

Ex49'er

Don't know

BoomLover

Don't know

MikeR C

Golf Ball Mortar. 30 yard golf ball mortar range

Southpaw.
 Bowling ball mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Tropico

Popcan mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Small cannons 100 yard and 200 yard target

Blaster

Mortar 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Armorer77

Don't know

Intoodeep

Never said maybe, never said no.

Thats all I can think of who expressed interest.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Intoodeep

Never said maybe, never said no.

Thats all I can think of who expressed interest.

Thanks for thinking of me. But, I think I'll have to pass on this event.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #294 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »

Thanks for thinking of me. But, I think I'll have to pass on this event.

I was afraid of that...maybe if we do it again.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
...maybe if we do it again.

Maybe if we do it again, we can find a range that is closer to the middle of the country instead of the edges.  I could get space but it would be too far away from most people.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
George, it would be nice wouldn't it?

Did look at the target schedule above, is it good for you?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
Fine with me.  I will also bring my 30 mm parrot rifle and shot for it.  It can launch pretty long shots although I have never tested it for long range accuracy.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
Sorry DD, It's too far for me to drive this summer. I'm sure there will be lots of pictures for those of us who couldn't
make it to look at.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2009, 01:07:53 AM »
 Cinder blocks are fun targets. Old toilets are great too. I like things that break when hit :)

Sherlock Holmes