Author Topic: Montana Model Cannon Shot  (Read 36799 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Montana Model Cannon Shot
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2009, 03:45:57 AM »
Cinder blocks are fun targets. Old toilets are great too. I like things that break when hit :)

They are indeed great targets, but the club has rules and decorum requires 100% clean up after shooting.   The land is also used by the land owner for hay.  Remnents of biodigradable material are acceptable.  The land owner has advised that he is going to plow under and put to grain the entire eastern half of the land next spring.  That was were the trap range was to go in.  We are going to use that area for the cannon shoot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:16 AM »
Sorry DD, It's too far for me to drive this summer. I'm sure there will be lots of pictures for those of us who couldn't
make it to look at.

Sorry to here this.  But in these  times it's understandable.  You could have set up shop and sold hitch covers to make gas money.

Offline Double D

« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2009, 04:35:05 AM »
If everyone who thinking of coming would go to post 292 on pag 10 of this thread and see if you are listed. If you are let me know if I have your needs met.  If your are not listed tell me what you have and what you need.

If you are on the list and had not intended to come also let me know that.

George will the 100 yard, 200 yard work for the 30mm Parrot?  I will also work some thing out a but longer range for that gun. 

I think Tropico said he was coming then there were changes in his life plan and he may not even be in America now.

Offline Double D

« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
Went out to the range today and looked things over.  Here is the view down range.

Right in the middle is the hill that marks the edge of the how fad will it go range...1000 yards.  It is just over 200 yards to the bottom.

The firing line is 50 yards wide.

Here is the view from the bottom.

Here is the view from 1000 yards back to the firing line.

The hay has been cut and I don't think the Monster Mortar or bowling balls will get lost in the field.  But since it has been years since this field has been cut, the thatch is thick and deep. Anything smaller will be hard to spot and will get buried.   Better bring your metal detector

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #304 on: July 09, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
This may be a silly question, but I thought I would bring it up, has anyone thought about fire suppression?

dry grass + sparks + some wind = .................. 

I was at a WWI re-enactment and our artillery and the American artillery

set the field on fire, we stamped our section out. the Americans called the fire department..........

It might be good to have a few 5 gallon jugs of water and a few buckets handy.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
will the 100 yard, 200 yard work for the 30mm Parrot?  I will also work some thing out a but longer range for that gun.

That should be fine although I might try some 600 yard shooting if I make enough shot.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
This may be a silly question, but I thought I would bring it up, has anyone thought about fire suppression?

dry grass + sparks + some wind = .................. 

I was at a WWI re-enactment and our artillery and the American artillery

set the field on fire, we stamped our section out. the Americans called the fire department..........

It might be good to have a few 5 gallon jugs of water and a few buckets handy.

Every one should be bringing a shovel and lots of water.  Lots of water for cleaning barrels, lots of water for drinking  and lots of water for contingencys.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #307 on: July 09, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »
     We will try to remember to bring some one gallon water jugs for one and two hundred yards.  For 300 yards, we will bring a few water cooler jugs to represent a big water barrel in approx. 1/6 scale.  The range width expansion will allow everyone to spread out a bit and that will make everyone a bit more comfortable.  All in all it looks pretty good DD.

Make a note not to empty the water jugs in the supermarket parking lot this time; bring them filled!  And to bring water, lots of water.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
Just keep in mind after the match every one will be asked to go down range and pick up their garbage---so bring some extra strength garbage bags.

Offline Double D

« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »

Here's the directions to the range.

First follow your map-GPS-instinct to Cut Bank MT.

From the EAST (I-15-Shelby) Go to the traffic light and turn right-north .

From the WEST  go to the traffic light and turn left-north.

From the NORTH, if you see this, stop and turn around and go back North, you missed the first turn.

From the traffic light go north 2.3 miles to Lahr Road. Olson Road is on the left, west.  Lahr Road is on the right east.

If you are coming from the North this is where you should have turned instead of going on into town. Lahr Road is on the left, east.   Olson Road is on the right west.

Turn East on Lahr Road.

Go 3 miles east on Lahr Road to the T intersection with Meadowbrook Road.

Turn left-north on Meadowbrook Road and go 1 mile to Hope Road.

Turn right-east  on Hope road and go 1 mile to the Cut Bank Sportsman Club.

Offline Double D

« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
Other things you will need. There is no facilities on the range. We will have a porta potty for the Guys and the Ladys will have access to my travel trailer. Bring lawn chairs and folding tables, sunscreen, hat, water and snacks.

I am working the details for having a Pot-luck Braai BYOM after the shoot. We can do this in my backyard or at the City park. Sorta depends on what the City charges and how many people there are. The grocery store has a deli where you can get pot luck items.

We won't have any door prizes, I tried, we got no donations.

Saturday after we finish for the day we wil all meet at my house for a braai.  BYOM, drinks an a side dish to share.  The local grocery store---Albertsons has a deli where you can buy salads and stuff.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
How about directions from Valier?   ;D  Looks like "from the west" is the appropriate way.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
Cinder blocks are fun targets. Old toilets are great too. I like things that break when hit :)

They are indeed great targets, but the club has rules and decorum requires 100% clean up after shooting.   The land is also used by the land owner for hay.  Remnents of biodigradable material are acceptable.  The land owner has advised that he is going to plow under and put to grain the entire eastern half of the land next spring.  That was were the trap range was to go in.  We are going to use that area for the cannon shoot.

Could you use some slabs of slate of flagstone? You could pick up the large chunks and only leave the little pieces. No doubt there's some rocks in the soil already.

Something that rings, like a big suspended frying pan or plow disk is always a crowd pleaser.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2009, 02:52:19 AM »
How about directions from Valier?   ;D  Looks like "from the west" is the appropriate way.

North out Valier until you hit Highway 2.  At Highway 2 look to right that's Cut Bank. Follow the from the west directions.

Offline Double D

« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2009, 05:02:22 AM »

North out Valier until you hit Highway 2.  At Highway 2 look to right that's Cut Bank. Follow the from the west directions.

Let me clarify that.  Go north out of Valier, about 30 miles....

Offline Double D

« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2009, 05:08:59 AM »
Okay Here's the early plan, always subject to change.

We will have a long firing line. On the East end of the line I am going to set up a small cannon firing line.  I am going to set up Paper targets, a 30 yard golf ball mortar range, and some knock down targets on that range.  This is where the Aiming a Cannon Seminar will be held.

THe rest of the range will be for longer range shooting, although targets can be set up shorter to longer range.  I am also going to put up a 100 yard and 200 yard Mortar Aiming Post.  There will be a mowed 100 foot circle around these poste.    We can put up other targets. as needed.  We will also be able to shoot How far will it go-safely shots out quite a long distance.

There will be other novelty targets on the range.

But what other targets do we need? Here's a roll call and what I think you might want and what I can set up for you.

Seacoast Artillery- Mike and Tracy

Monster mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Any thing else?

GGaskill-confirmed.

Mountain Howitzer. 100 yard and 200 yard target

Golf Ball mortar.  30 yard golf ball mortar range

Bowling Ball Mortar. 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Rocklock

Dom Cannon.  100 yard and 200 yard target

Ex49'er

Don't know

BoomLover

Don't know

MikeR C

Golf Ball Mortar. 30 yard golf ball mortar range

Southpaw.
 Bowling ball mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Tropico

Popcan mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Small cannons 100 yard and 200 yard target

Blaster

Mortar 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Armorer77

Don't know

Intoodeep

Never said maybe, never said no.

Thats all I can think of who expressed interest.

Any body else going respond?

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »
manholes would make good reactive targets. When I worked for a living I could get them from free. They were made in india.probably today in china. Frank

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2009, 06:39:04 AM »
     Double D,   I think maybe I've been reading your list wrong all along.  I thought the purpose was just to list the kind of targets which would be nice to have, but I'm looking at it now as a list of what you are bringing to shoot as well.  I hope I've finally got it right!
Anyway, we DO NOT require any special targets, but will be bringing a 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle, an almost complete 1/6 scale 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle, a pop can Cohorn Mortar and a 1/2 scale British Mallet's Mortar along with the French Paixhan's Monster Mortar.

We are looking forward to this shoot more than you can possibly imagine.  Too much work and not enough shooting will soon change!

The range looks great!

Tracy and Mike

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »

Blaster
Mortar 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.
Any body else going respond?
[/quote]

Doug, the possibility of my being able to attend this really fun sounding BP cannon/mortar shoot is extremely slim.  So, sorry to say, count me out on this one!! >:(
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Double D

« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »
I need to know how many targets of what size to build.  Nice to have targets are what I am looking for. If you prefer 50 yard targets over 100 targets, thats fine. I just need to know that.

The targets you get will simply be a naval cannon silhoutte, a field gun silhouette or a 24 inch round black bulls eye.  These are spay paint stencils on cardboard and provide nothing more than an aiming point.  If reactive targets are good enough then  I need to know that also.  I am headed to Southpaws on Tuesday and will attempt raid his Big White plastic bucket collection.  May be tough, because he is getting wise to the purpose of my visits.

If you want something different you have to tell me.  Lilke George he expressed a desire for a 600 yard target.  I have to find 600 yards and build him a target to shoot at. George will get a 36 inch black aiming aiming circle.

We will all share the mortar aiming post , but I want every one to have their own targets for cannons.  The more targets on range the better it looks and we are likely to be able to do this again.

Also if you don't want any targets at all, I need to know that also.

I also am taking roll, of who is going to be there.

So let me rephrase my question

Seacoast Artillery- Mike and Tracy

Will your be there? Yes

Do you require targets?

If yes, at what range and of what type do you require in targets?

GGaskill-confirmed.

Mountain Howitzer. 100 yard and 200 yard target

Golf Ball mortar.  30 yard golf ball mortar range

Bowling Ball Mortar. 100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Rocklock

Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

Ex49'er

Don't know

BoomLover

Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

MikeR C

Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

Southpaw.
 Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

Tropico

Popcan mortar.  100 yard, 200 yard mortar post, and how far will it go.

Small cannons 100 yard and 200 yard target

Blaster

Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

If yes, at what range do you require targets?

Armorer77

Will your be there?

Do you require targets?

Intoodeep

Never said maybe, never said no.

Thats all I can think of who expressed interest.

Is this a bit clearer?

We will also have some other "community" Targets that we can all shoot at.  I am sure Ernie is going to want set his bowling pins.

If we make a good impression upon the club at this seminar, we might have even more exciting things to do next next year.

Offline Double D

« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
Bob, that is truely sad to hear.  You are one of our old timers and I would have dearly loved to have had the opportunity to finally  meet you.

I don't know if we will be allowed to do this again, or even if I will want to do it, but how about tentatively blocking off next  summer for a cannon shoot. We'll see you then.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »
My Bowling ball  mortar will reach 600 yards ! dont know with what accuracy but ....I'm game .
If next year needs a place to shoot I'm sure some where on this 2000+ acre farm we could find a spot .
(maximun range 6 miles )
Looking forward to this particular meet as it is close , and .... I have Douglas in my corner   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
Sounds like 1Southpaw may have room on the 2000+ acre farm for a future shoot.  Also, do keep in mind that there has been authorized/organized BP cannon/mortar shoots down at the NRA Whittington Center, Raton, NM, which is kinda near the center of the USA.  Douglas, I just wanted to bring this possible location to your attention.   

Offline Double D

« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »
Bob,

The shot at Whittington is a formal shoot.  We are looking at an informal venue where we can just exercise our guns. 

I don't think we need to worry about range for next year, but who knows.  Right now everyone is very supportive.  Now if the SeaCoast guys were to drop a Monster Mortar round on the rail road tracks about 7 miles south or George were to put a one from his Parrot guns through one of the windmills about 12 miles down range, well Ernies place might become an option...but then we would have the Canadians to deal with, they are about 8  or 9 miles north of the impact zone.  The Canadians realy don't worry me, I saw them shoot in Artillery games.

Offline Double D

« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »
For those who use GPS for travel, here is the coordinated for the front gate.

N48 degrees 40 minutes 55.8 seconds
W112 degrees 13 minutes 58.3 second

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #325 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
Bob,
The shot at Whittington is a formal shoot.  We are looking at an informal venue where we can just exercise our guns. 

OK Doug.  I watched two of the BP cannon/mortar shoots down at the Whittington NRA Center and although they may be formal, they seemed to be very INformal to me.  I'd have NO interest in a formal shoot.  Sounds like the Montana shoot will be much more fun anyhow.  Maybe next year!
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »
I absolutely plan on being there. I will probably bring the wife as well.
I have a golfball mortar, a smaller 1" mortar for smoke balls (I have no metal projectiles), and will probably bring the firecracker breechloader. I'm worried about fire danger on the firecracker and smokeball mortar, but will probaly shoot the golgball mortar. I don't need any special targets I can block up the ass-end of the bed and shoot any old targets up to 100 yds. May be some golfballs left in the field tho...
Shooting at the 30yd stake sounds like fun as well and I assume we will all shoot at the same stake.

Looking forward to it,
Mike

Offline Double D

« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
Look forward to seeing you Mike.  Don't forget we will braai at my place Saturday evening.  Wives and girlfriend welcome, but please don't bring both.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
    Douglas,   We are answering the range and target or no target and, if yes, what type of target quizz right now.
We have confirmed reservations.
100 and 200 yard targets
100, 200 yard mortar range
One big bullseye target for 300 yards, (a sight-in target for the Water Jug Explosion Target at that range)
30 yard golf ball mortar range
And, How Far Will it Go?

Thanks again for asking!

M&T

Offline Double D

« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
Good, I'll get a 300 yarder built.  Got the rest.