Author Topic: Anyone ever shot any Beaver?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone ever shot any Beaver?
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
Have been contacted about removing a lot of beaver.  I tried trapping them and that is just not my thing.  Shot a few last year, and found a well placed shot to the head with a .22 RF short will kill them.  But they usually flop around once or twice.  When that happens they can slide into the river and if we are not right there to scoop them out they can be lost.  Was wondering about using either a .17HMR or a .223 with Nosler ballistic tips.  And making body shots.  Anyone ever tried that?  Rog

And yes I posted in the Trapping Forum too.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Anyone ever shot any Beaver?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »
As boring as it is, I think I would go with a 22 Mag over a HMR any day.  The HMR is a PD killer for sure, but for larger things go for the old standby, the 22 Mag.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline StrutnBPS

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:58:01 PM »
A beaver is pretty tough.  My best friend and I used to shoot a lot of them.  We used a 30-30 and head shots.

Offline chip-don

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »
223 would be better they are big and tough ;)

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:19:55 AM »
sourdough, a 17hmr will take beaver with well placed shots. try for head shots when you can. by the way roast beaver tail is some darn good eating. take care up there in the north country.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 05:54:59 AM »
We do have beaver in our area. We can not shoot beaver around here. We can only trap. People get pretty edgy around here about shooting over water with a rifle. More than likely we do not have beaver in the numbers you have there. I have seen the beaver around here and they are a good size critter. Much bigger than our wood chucks. The head is almost as big as a 40 pound dog with smaller ears. The first time I saw one swimming across  a lake, I thought it was a dog at first. back to the question - I would use either a 17 HMR or a 22 Mag for dead center head shots only. But as you discovered, there may be some floppin' goin' on before they keel over. If you are going to make body shots, I would not go with any thing smaller than a 22 Hornet, a 223 should do the job even better - you do want to make an instant kill. The beaver do not get very far away from the water. I would go with the 223 and varmint type bullets. I think any thing designed for deer would penetrate all the way through. They are big, but not as big as a deer chest. They should give you enough penetration to put them down quick and not pass out the other side. Good Luck and Good Shooting

BTW - I really like your "stories" some of the best ;) Looking forward to a beaver shootin' story - hopefully ;D

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 06:12:23 AM »
a freind  in  north  georgia had a bever problem caused  his lake to rise over the highway

i was  just going to shoot  a 50 bmg  into  the  nest....not sporting but we  just  had to exterminate  them
to  avoid a law suit from the state  over the flood

i  couldn't  get  a safe shot because  of a high way  beyond  but

it   took  3  shots with  that  50 bmg  to blow away  the dam
just shot  under  it  to lift it  then  it washed  away

i  have  been  told they  are  drawn to the sound  of running water  like  a water hose
you  might try calling  them
they  will  hear  a  hose spraying  into  the water  think  they  need to go work on  the dam
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tireman

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »
   Yes I have shot some beaver. You will find a deer size rifle will work best. I like the 357 marlin lever.  If you take down the dam a foot or so and wait they will come to repair it. Then you can shoot them. You could learn to trap them. It can be fun to do and learn a part of history. I am sure the person who wants them gone doesn't care how you do it.  Be sure they will make more little beaver and more dams.     Clark

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »
ive killed them with my 22-250

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »
Beaver cannot legally be shot in the area my camp is in, however several years ago, when they were thicker and were causing a lot of flooding problems and hurting the property and tree growth, and with the unofficial approval of the local game warden, a few met their maker at the hot end of a H&R/NEF .22 Mag Sportster, which is also my go to coyote gun for 100 yards and under. I found beaver a lot harder to kill and be DRT than a coyote. A .22 Mag will work with a well placed head shot but if I had my choice a .357 Mag/Max, 30-30, or any deer gun would be better. That said, a .22 Mag with well placed head shots works OK. A body shot with a .22 Mag and they get way into the water and you may lose them and they die a lingering death, not something I like to see. I think a .17 HMR with head shots or a .223 with a good body shot, heart/lungs, should work as well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
Are you wanting to save the pelts, or just get rid of them?  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Kbis

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
 I have shot several beavers in my lake but for everyone I shoot 2 more appear. I have only had luck with a 12 Ga. and 00 shot. My beavers don't want to come out until after dark and I never catch them on land so a head shot is hard when you are holding a spot light in one hand and trying to aim with the front of the gun resting on you wrist.

I did get a gator in the lake one year and that seemed to solve the problem for awhile. It also got rid of all my large bass and cats  :(

They can be a big problem, this past year they took down over 50 trees around the lake.

We are not supposed to shoot them but I talked to a judge in town and he reminded me of the "3S" rule. Shoot it, shovel it and shut up  ;D

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
my hornet does wonders on beaver
had a few all around my swamp, HAD!!!!!!!!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »
These Beaver don't build dams, they are on the river and build their lodges along the bank.  The entrances are underwater.  They have slides along the river banks where they drag trees and limbs down into the water.  But when I tried to trap these slides it just did not work well.  Cannot put traps on dry land either during the spring, too likely to catch baby Black Bears or baby Moose. 

Think of a Ground Hog (Woodchuck) in the 60 to 70 pound class.  These are the average ones.  Some are bigger, and kits are smaller.  I have not seen very many Kits out on the river.

Yes I want to keep the pelts.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »
never shot a beaver    but blew a few up while range clearing at redstone arsenal, Al.     a block of C4 with a mousetrap and a trip wire, kick a hole in the dam and put the c4 in the lake side of the hole with the trip wire running across the hole       go back to clearing the range and listen for the BOOM
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
When I read the Thread at the top I had to chuckle. ;D

When I was young my dad and older brother had a permit from the DNR to shoot beavers in our creek as they were backing up the water and causing problems upstream. They used either shotgun with heavy birdshot or my dads 308. Most were shot in summer time so the pelts had no value. Later I trapped alot of young beaver and a few older ones. The beaver had dissapeared from our creek for the last 20 some years , but a dam showed up again this year.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
We had some neighbors that wanted a pond - built the dam, poured in much concrete for the spillway and THEN found the should have applied for the permit.  They couldn't have it under any circumstances.

Two years later beaver came in and dammed it up; easy job just filling in the 3' wide spillway.  The state (Vermont) couldn't touch it as the law protected the beaver.

Some things just turn out right!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
Have been contacted about removing a lot of beaver.  I tried trapping them and that is just not my thing.  Shot a few last year, and found a well placed shot to the head with a .22 RF short will kill them.  But they usually flop around once or twice.  When that happens they can slide into the river and if we are not right there to scoop them out they can be lost.  Was wondering about using either a .17HMR or a .223 with Nosler ballistic tips.  And making body shots.  Anyone ever tried that?  Rog

And yes I posted in the Trapping Forum too.

Yes, they will slide into the river & I would not use a 17HMR at all. It is not that the 17 won't kill them, but they will flop around a bit & you will lose some, it only takes seconds for them to get away. I use 17HMR for Fox and down or a Coyote up close only, but Coyotes usually aren't shot where they can disapear in the water, so different deal.

We have done pretty good with 2 mags and 40 gr. hollowpoint, but as said before the centerfires are better for instant kills. The 223 with Bal. Tips do work very well & V-Max as well, & we have shot a bunch with body shots.

You did not ask about eating them, but I have ate several, keep it straight guys. We cooked them in crockpots &
Barbacued them, they are better than Groundhog or Coon. No, I don't eat Possum because I know what they eat.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
  Afew years ago my uncle was hired by a golf course to remove a beaver infestation.  I went to visit him while on leave that year and he took me along on this culling expedition :).  When I was stationed up at FT. Wainwright back in the late 80's I had killed afew of them, so I guess he thought I knew what I was doing ::).
  Well we got to the golf course and I was shocked at what the little beasts had done to the place.  They had absolutely trashed the greens! :o  They had mowed down trees, eaten the landscaped shrubs, and flooded most of the water features.  It was a sight to see!
  My uncle had been shooting these things with every type of gun he had, he had killed afew, but most of the time they would submerge after being shot and float up later.  Needless to say the golfers raised hell about that!  What we determined to be the problem of that was he had relied on a 25-06 for most of his shooting.  While plenty of gun to kill one, because of the flat skull most of the time the bullet would crack the skull but not penetrate.  That was a bad way to go for the beavers! >:(  I witnessed it with my own eyes, I watched him shoot a big one and even saw the bone exposed where the scalp had been blown away, it submerged and was gone.  Not good...
  His thinking was that a bigger heavier bullet might richocet and hit something; I agreed.  He thought the fast light bullet was more likely to explode when it hit the water; I agreed.  The problem was unless he hit it in the side, or back, of the head they would more times than not get away.  He had a Savage 22 Mag, we tried that, it worked much better.  The best weapon we used was not a gun at all, it was our compound bows with a bow fishing setup.  We switched the fish head with a Broad Head and we very successful!  The Broad head really did the trick and we would just reel the beaver in!  With this setup we could shoot right for the body under water and in a few seconds pull the critter in!  We got nine in two evenings and no worries about richocet's. 
  The end of the story was a sad one, the beaver were migrating in from a creek that the owner had diverted for his water hazards.  The more my dear uncle would shot, more would migrate in to take their place!  In the end, about a year later, the owner tried to turn it into a commercial catfish farm!  That went bust too, the little monsters eventually flooded that out to and his fish escaped! :D  The golf course / catfish farm is now a beatifully manicured cattle farm!

I wouldn't recommend a 223, or light weight varmint gun.  The chances of wounding them is to high for my conscience.  A 30-30 would probably do the job reliably, but the Bow fishing setup worked very well.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your results.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
Shot too many with a 223 to understand that one.  ???

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
  Oh I have no doubt a 5-6 mm rifle will kill one, but retreiving them after the shot might be iffy.  Just from seeing the results of a low angle shot with a light fast bullet, it not my first choice.  The 22 Mag worked pretty well, back then the 17 HMR wasn't out yet, so I have no experience with one to give honest advice from.
  When up at Fairbanks AK I shot most of mine with a 30-30.  Fairly heavy bullet, 170 grn, and moderate speed, 2000 fps or so, equalled a brain busted beaver every time I didnt miss :-[ :D.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
Whatever a 22mag will do, the 223 will do alot more & you can can load for any velocity you want & use
20+ grain more bullet. Doesn't add up that the 22mag would do pretty well as you say, but the 223 would not do better. Since I did it with both, it's not a theory.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »

If that ain't a loaded question, I've never heard one!

;D
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »

If that ain't a loaded question, I've never heard one!

;D

That's what I was thinkin' too.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »
 ;D ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »
A retired friend of mine used to work for a Provincial Irrigation company.

He got paid for every beaver he killed in the irrigation ditches and dugouts. He used a 12g shotgun single shot. He got paid $14 bucks a piece. He patrolled the ditches on a daily basis check on intruments and valves and other items.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
Why yes I have shot them. I used to shoot a lot of them with my Dads old Enfield when I was a young'un.

The Enfield was over kill but, most died right there; which was important to me as I love to eat them and was not after fur.

MMMMMM, now I want to go to the Father-in-laws swamp and shoot one, they make GREAT BBQ!!! Poor mans beef.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.