Author Topic: So I've got a stripped AR-15 receiver.......  (Read 803 times)

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
So I've got a stripped AR-15 receiver.......
« on: December 21, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »
Yes, I went and joined the panic-buying crowd and bought myself the lower of an AR-15.  It's a stag arms, and it came with a baggie of parts that is supposed to be the trigger group.  I also put in an order for some back-ordered 30 round magazines.  I've been wanting one in my arsenal for some time, figured now is as good a time as any.  I got all of the above at the same price it was going for before the latest round of buying, so I figure I did OK on the deal.

Now, the only problem I have is that I haven't the first clue as to the inner workings of these things.  Apart from the obvious lack of a stock and barrel, I haven't really got any idea of which parts I need to pick up to make this thing go bang.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to set it up fairly simple; 16 inch barrel, flat top with red dot sight and irons for backup, and probably a single light out front for social purposes.   I'd like to avoid having a bunch of ugly, heavy, rails on the forestock just to mount a single light.

Anyone care to help a brother out?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: So I've got a stripped AR-15 receiver.......
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »
if you allready have the trigger parts all you should need is a pistol grip a stock and an upper assembly
blue lives matter

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »
if you allready have the trigger parts all you should need is a pistol grip a stock and an upper assembly

Yep that's pretty much it. You may want to look at different barrels and forend parts,different sights like the carry handle or flip up. There is so much to choose from. Buy a complete upper and either a collapsible or solid butt stock and you are ready to go.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
I've already gone down this road recently and asked all those dumb questions a newby asks on this forum. I bought a complete lower rather than a stripped one like you did as I didn't figure I was smart enough to put one together and besides I found this one laying on the shelf one day when I was picking up my CDD AR15 M4 so decided to go for it.

I have a thread not unlike this one saying that I now have a complete lower and need to know what's next. Lots of good responses there and links to sites to buy the stuff you need. Look down the list for it I imagine it's still on the first page here.

One thing my research has shown is those fore ends with rails are MASSIVE and also not what I want. But like you on the one I'm gonna built from my lower I do want a light and a laser as well as the BUIS and either another EOTech or an Aimpoint. The thing I want and likely you will want is a gas block with rails which you'll need to specify when you order your upper if you get a completed one or as a part if you are brave enough to try to build it yourself. I am not that brave and will be buying my complete and ready to install.

Here is the link to that thread of mine> http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,157010.0.html

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys.  Mine has a pistol grip with all the pieces and parts of the trigger.

Graybeard I think you've got the right idea.  I'm going to try and keep mine pretty simple.  Light and red dot are the only things I want on mine.  I see some guys at the range that have about 5 pounds of battery operated crap hanging off the front of their rifle.  I figure if I'm going to have a battle rifle, I should probably make it something that I could actually lift without the aid of a block and tackle.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
I sure agree with that. In my research I have come across a combination light and laser that I think just might be the ticket to have but have not firmly decided on what I'll get. I'm supposed to go visit Bugflipper when he gets back from a trip and see his equipment and help me decide just what I really want.

On the Armalite lower tho I'm pretty much set on a barrel 16" to 18" long of military contour chrome plated bore and chamber with 1:7" twist and the gas block with at least two rails top and bottom. I'll set a BUIS most likely a Troy on the top and another Troy rear BUIS at the back of the flat top rail. I like the EOTech Holosight on my 18" R15 and may stick with one but want to see Bugflipper's Aimpoint before deciding.

I really want a bring light and laser both on it but need to keep them light so they don't over power it and make it too heavy to use. I want a light for those times more light is needed and to temporarily blind an intruder with the brightness of it in their eyes if needed. I want a laser for fast aiming as I've really fallen in love with my CTC laser grips and consider that the fastest low light sight out there.

I'm not sure I really need back up iron sights BUIS but they are relatively small and light so even tho they add money to the cost they don't add weight or bulk enough to matter. If the EOTech or Aimpoint goes belly up in a firefight it sure would be nice to have them I'll bet.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 02:16:06 AM »
bill the only thing i would alter on your build is the twist. I have a one in 7 twist gun but usually only use it for heavy bullets. It does ok with 60 grain bullets but is pretty dismall with 55s A 1 in 8 twist would be a much better compromise for a gun your going to call a battle rifle. It will digest and shoot about any weitght down to even 52s with some accuracy and do real well with 55-60s
blue lives matter

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:50:21 AM »
Loyd the only problem with 55 gr bullets in a 1-7 is the thin jacketed varmint bullets shred the jacket with to much rotation. Those thin jacketed bullets shouldn't be used on big targets anyhow, not enough penetration. Try RE15 and sierra gameking sbt this is a tack drivers in my 1-7" barrels. The thicker jacket of the gk still holds up in my 24" with the extra velocity.
 Not trying to degrade your post it is correct unless you shoot a thick jacketted bullet. I use 36 gr barnes varmint grenades on starlings. Kind of like rat shot on steroids. Usually 3-6 can be taken out with one shot. I've killed as many as 34 with rapid fire, maybe 7 or 8 shots before they could get out of dodge. I started off using them on muskrats to save pelts. It takes a keen eye to see any holes. Once tanned they disappear.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
RRA lower on the way.. Stripped of course. Being a moderate skilled machinest and a exsperinced mechanic. I hope i can put it together.. If not ,, gaybeard members will never know.. Just kidding.. updates will follow! Not sure about the upper yet.. takes a bit of tools. common to ar builders but not the rest of us. Front sight gas block tool, upper reciever vise etc.. I might buy complete. not sure,, my mind is calculating all the possibalites.. which Ar builders know,, keeps you awake at nite!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
if i can do it anyone can.
RRA lower on the way.. Stripped of course. Being a moderate skilled machinest and a exsperinced mechanic. I hope i can put it together.. If not ,, gaybeard members will never know.. Just kidding.. updates will follow! Not sure about the upper yet.. takes a bit of tools. common to ar builders but not the rest of us. Front sight gas block tool, upper reciever vise etc.. I might buy complete. not sure,, my mind is calculating all the possibalites.. which Ar builders know,, keeps you awake at nite!
blue lives matter