Author Topic: Just acquired a Topper Model 158, questions about barrels  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Bitmap

• Trade Count: (0)
Just acquired a Topper Model 158, questions about barrels
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
I looked in the FAQ but couldn't find an answer.  Maybe I'm just a little slow?

The receiver has a S/N prefix of AB which I think makes it from 1965.  It came with a .410 barrel, full choke, no chamber length marked, a 20ga. barrel, modified choke, no chamber length marked, a .22 Rem. Jet barrel, and a .30-30 barrel.  All barrels use the type of forend that pops off instead of using a screw.  The receiver is case hardened (or colored like it is).  The rifle barrels have 5 digit numbers engraved in them, but they don't match the number on the receiver.  The barrels all seem to lock up tight to the receiver but the forend has a little wobble on one of the barrels.

How do I determine if it is safe to use with these rifle barrels?

Are the shotgun barrels chambered for 2 3/4" or 3"?

I looked at the pics of SB1 vs. SB2 but I don't know if that info applies to one this old.

I'll be satisfied with it as a .410 and 20ga, but if it's safe to use I think the .22 Jet would be fun to load for.

Thanks for your help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Just acquired a Topper Model 158, questions about barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »
All of the old H&R firearms made before they went out of business in 1986 had cast iron frames, they didn't have SB1 or SB2 frames. I'd use the barrel fitting info in the FAQs and Help sticky to determine how well the barrels fit, the build year info is also in the FAQs. ;) The Jet and 30-30 were original offerings from them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bitmap

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »
I'd use the barrel fitting info in the FAQs and Help sticky to determine how well the barrels fit,

So if the barrels fit correctly the .22 Jet and .30-30 barrels are ok to use with any of the old frames?

I'm asking because most of the info I've found (not just in the FAQ) involves modern high intensity rounds like .223 rather than the lower pressure rounds like .22 Jet and .30-30.

Thanks again.

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:07:26 AM »
If the frame is in good condition, I think at least the Jet barrel would be OK, most likely the 30-30 as well. They still chamber 357 and 44 barrels on shotgun frames(only factory jobs, no accessory barrels), and those were original chamberings, so presonally I would check fit and shoot. Billy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:08:36 AM »
They still chamber 357 and 44 barrels on shotgun frames(only factory jobs, no accessory barrels)

They do, but they aren't the same SB1 frame that comes on a shotgun, they have small, rifle size firing pins and a smaller firing pin hole in the standing breech.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rak55

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »
the 158 model and a couple others were made to use both rifle and shotgun barrels from that period and most were proof stamped, the key is the smaller diameter firing pin since some with the normal size firing pin for shot shells would cause hang fires with the rifle barrels on the earlier models. check your pin since the early models used the snap on forearms you'll want to know if you've got the early reciever that was later changed for the smaller firing pin, and as you were told check for proper fit and function as with all guns before shooting. I've got a couple of these and put a few together in my time and love em.