Poll

Did you replace/upgrade/rework the trigger in your AR-15?

Yes, and I'm glad I did.
11 (29.7%)
Yes, and it wasn't worth the time or money.
2 (5.4%)
No, the stock trigger is just fine.
10 (27%)
Not yet, but I plan on it.
14 (37.8%)
Not concerned one bit.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: AR-15 Triggers & Upgrades  (Read 1830 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
AR-15 Triggers & Upgrades
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:19:06 AM »
I was curious about who all has upgraded the trigger in their AR-15 rifles and if so what trigger did you put in?

I did once and it was on a DPMS 308B.  I spent $200 on a Timney drop in and it was a great trigger, but I had to sell that rifle.

I currently have an all stock DPMS 223 and I'm thinking about upgrading the trigger.  I like the Timney drop in triggers, but I don't want to drop another $200 on a trigger.  The stock trigger is alright, but it's awefully rough.  I may try to polish it, but I've never done it and I'd have watch a lot of videos online before I tried it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a great replacement trigger at a reasonable price?

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
Re: AR-15 Triggers & Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
Check out Bill Springfield, he reworks your trigger to 4 lbs. for $40 ($50 if you want a 3 lb. includes new springs). I have a JP tigger in one of my guns, (and love it, but don't want to drop another $200) I'm going to let him do the stock trigger in my other gun. Turnaround is one to two weeks.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:07:53 AM »
www.triggerwork.net is Bill Springfield's web address. Hope this helps. :)

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:47 AM »
Bill does good work , and his turn around is usually about a week . i've got the 3-3.5# trigger . good stuff !

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:10:38 AM »

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
It gives a 4 lb trigger pull on stock springs, add the below springs and it's just under 3 lb.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=436860&t=11082005
 I sent an hk 91 trigger group off to Bill, he did a wonderful job.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:14:38 AM »
I'm going to have to give this guy some thought.  Are his trigger jobs as good as a new match trigger then?  I've never heard of the guy, but it sounds like he has a lot of happy customers.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:44:14 AM »
he did two for me got a colt ar down to a crisp 3lbs and my cetme down to an exceptably crisp 4 lbs. To give him credit he cetmes are are bugger to do. Much cheaper then an aftermarket trigger but an aftermarket trigger has the ability to be adjusted over and over and is probably better if a guy is ever going to sell his gun as youve still got the old parts to put back in it and can keep you adjus. one.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:27:58 AM »
So far, I'm leaning towards the Rock River two stage match trigger.  The only place I can find it is $110.  It's probably the best deal I've found on a factory match trigger.  I like the idea of factory parts instead of modified parts.  Not questioning the guys work or anything, but it gives me peace of mind to know everything was factory made.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:32:37 AM »
the Rock River two stage match trigger.

This is the one I selected also.  I've heard nothing but good things about them.  One of these days I might actually get around to buying one!   ::)   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »
I sent a stock RR trigger from my Predator Pursuit to Bill Springfield for the 3# upgrade. I also sent a note take it to the lightest side of 3# you can go.

I received a very nice trigger back. I'm impressed and very pleased.

I have a RR two stage in another Rock lower. Its good if your shooting slow fire match but for anything else gime that Bill Springfield trigger.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
I put a JP Enterprises Fire Control System in my Bushmaster AR. This is the one with the Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer and Spring Kit. It took some time to get everything fitted right but the end result is a safe, super crisp 4 pound trigger (I ordered the Tactical version since this AR is used for work also).

If I were to do it over again I would look into either a Timney or McCormick.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
If money was no issue, I'd just buy the Timney drop in trigger again.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »
I was looking for a a picture showing exactly where to polish the parts of the trigger to at least make it smoother than they come from the factory.  I found this link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://shanedaughtry.com/images/Polish%2520Sear.gif&imgrefurl=http://shanedaughtry.com/AR15Build.aspx&usg=__Y0n4zF7Bqjv-5TUCNa9AewX0RcY=&h=257&w=640&sz=13&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=o_gPutbdncXmWM:&tbnh=55&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dar-15%2Btrigger%2Bpolishing%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

I'm going to try this out and see what happens.  If I goof up my factory trigger it's not too big of a deal because I was always planning on replacing it anyway.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
The dremel and polishing rouge won't mess it up. The AR trigger is just  hardened at the engagement points. As long as you just hit it enough to make those two points shiny all is well. Try to remove more and you have one that wants to fire 2 or 3 times. Not worth it to have a felony waiting to happen. You would most likely burn up the little buffing wheel before that much material could be removed.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
A couple of days ago I took apart my trigger and used the ceramic sharpening rods from my spyderco sharpener.  They are flat triangular sticks.  It was my first time ever doing anything like that I used the finest stone and didn't put much force into it.  I put the trigger all back together and I could feel a little difference, but it was still bad.

Today, I got all excited & geared up to do this little homemade trigger job today.  I had some Flitz cleaner that I was going to put on a buffing wheel on my dremel and try this out.  I couldn't find the flitz so I tried what I did last time, but with more effort.  I have some micro sized very fine files and started very lightly with those.  Then I used the coarse ceramic stick, followed by the fine stick.  This time I could see that the two areas had a much more highly polished look to them. 

I put the gun all back together and did some dry firing and wow!  The trigger now feels significantly smoother, and maybe just a hair lighter also.  There are no more rough spots and the trigger feels good.  I'm really surprised at how much better the trigger feels all together.  Next time at the range I'm only going to load up 2 rounds at a time to build my confidence in the trigger job and just in case something goes horribly wrong I don't want a full mag in there.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:16 AM »
Well I upgraded the trigger on my rifle to a Rock River two stage and it's very nice.  I bought it because of its reputation and the price was right.  I also sent my original DPMS trigger to Bill Springfield.  I figured between the two I'd go with what felt best.  I haven't installed my reworked trigger from Mr Springfield yet, but I will to try it out.  The Rock River trigger two stage feels a little different than what I'm used to, but it's very smooth, & breaks cleanly.  I don't feel like I wasted any money buying it and thought I'd mention it here in case any of you all were still on the fence about it.

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »
i simply put a set of LP trigger srings in my trigger.
cut trigger weight in 1/2.

Offline coltchris

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
+1 on Bill Springfield; got my stock Stag trigger (awful) down to just below 4 lbs. and eliminated creep.  Had it back in (1) week.  I still prefer my Timney 3 lb. in my other AR, but also four times the cost!
Talk is cheap; except when Congress does it.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Just put a 3LB Timney in my Bushy DCM...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 02:30:35 AM »
I just had bill springfield do 3 more. He has an upgraded package now and the triggers came back fantastic!
blue lives matter

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »
Lloyd, I'll be sending my trigger to Bill this week for the 4# job (and speed hammer mod).  I'm really looking forward to getting that done as it's at 8# now.  He only charges $40 for all of that and that includes the return shipping also.  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »
bill i dont remember what the poundage of each option is but buck up for the better job with the speed cut hammer. It so much better that i had one of my old ones he did a couple years ago sent back for the upgrade.
blue lives matter

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »
Just wanted to add to this thread as I used it to do my ar triggers. I used the JP reduced power springs and modified them according to the 15 minute trigger job. The contacts were done with the dremel and polishing compound as recommended. They break cleanly at 2.26#, 2.37# and 2.51#. No creep at all, and of coarse there was no over travel to begin with.
 It was very easy and didn't take up very much time. I believe the different weights to be associated with the length the one hammer spring leg was clipped at. I can not tell the difference in the pull of the three so I'm not going to worry with it.

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 07:16:18 AM »
I just mailed my trigger parts to Bill Springfield to work on.  Hope my 8lb AR trigger comes back between 3 1/2 and 4lbs.  We'll see how he does.  I asked for the 'speed hammer' mod also.  44 Man.

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »
Wow!  I just got my envelope back from Bill Springfield.  One week from my dropping off to the post office and receiving mine back.  Unfortunately the envelope was empty.  Seems somebody at the post office got a little rambunctious and the tape opened up on the end.  I'm afraid my trigger parts are scattered all over some mail room floor!  I called Bill and told him the situation and he said he would get another set out to me right away.  Can't get better service that that anywhere.  44 Man.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »
I have been happy with the RR 2 stage but did get a Gieselle a few months ago for my 6.8
not the adjustable one because I didn't want to spend that much, but the 2 stage fixed combat model

nice

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 08:55:19 AM »
Well, I better bring everyone up to date.  I received all new parts from Bill on Saturday to replace the ones lost in the mail.  Looking them over, I could see several places where bill have polished up the hammer notch and the trigger almost mirror bright.  I had to fit the trigger as bill puts a travel stop in it and it had to be filed just a little to let the safety fit back through the receiver.  I had it in and out of the frame about 10 times as I didn't want to take any more off the stop than I absolutely had to.  When that was done, I tried it out.  It is very smooth, a very small amout of take up, then it breaks.  It feels great.  But I do have to say, it doesn't feel like a 4# pull and I'll have to get a trigger gauge on it to know for sure.  Feels more like 6#.  I emailed Bill and let him know what I thought.  He said that because the trigger spring is new, to leave it cocked, and in short order I would have a 4# trigger pull.  Had I received my old hammer spring back, it would have been fine.  So there we are.  I'm very happy with Bill's work and him standing behind the lost parts.  After we leave it sit cocked a couple of weeks, I'll get a trigger gauge on it and let you know what we have.  44 Man

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »
thanks for the update