Author Topic: getting pissed at the atf or whoever they call in the gun purchases too  (Read 1771 times)

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
i have bought 5 guns this year and everyone has had a hold put on it. i don't know why heck i haven't done anything clean record and have a permit to carry concealed gun. has anyone had the same experience i even put my social on there if that's not going to help then I'm going to stop putting it on there i don't know i thought maybe if someone buys a certain amount they start to put a hold on it any other ideas.

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: getting pissed at the atf or whoever they call in the gun purchases too
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:10:37 AM »
I experience the same thing. Someone told me that it may have to do with a history of certain kinds of international travel. They won't tell me what the reason for the delay is.
Safety first

Offline powderman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:32:12 AM »
Unless your first name is Jesse I don't know why it would be held up either. My guess is that the system is pretty full right now. Wait til osama takes over, you don't know what slow is. POWDERMAN.  ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:18 AM »
Do you use your social security number on the form?  It is optional, but if you omit it, you can bet there will be a hold on your background check.  Without it, they have to dig much deeper to determine you from some felon with the same name.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:46:11 AM »
When bush gets out of office it will be back to normal.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »

WHAT A JOKE
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
It has happened to me the last two purchases. I was told that all the little local citys, countys and states had to turn in all their records and that any little thing on these records could be a problem to them. The worst record keepers are these little law enforcement establisments. I was once arrested and taken to jail for not paying a ticket on an expired tag on a car I was driving that I had borrowed. (I dont argue the point I was at fault. I was, because I was driving.) I went straight away and paid the ticket I was given.   If I had not kept, and been able to produce a receipt it would have cost me big I guess.
Just this past week I received a letter in the mail where they refused to renew my tags because I had not paid a toll vialation here in Florida. I have epass which auto pays your tolls well mine quit working and when my son went through the new tolls he did not know it did not work. I did get the info in the mail and paid the fine. (Still my fault) My license had been suppened since July and me driving around with no knowledge of it. I took the receipt to the dmv and with the push of button all is well. That is just some the things that many will have problems with. And without a high dollar mouth piece may never be able to get straight. What will happen when you go to renew your ccw?

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »
If you think it's bad now, wait until all private transactions are required to be completed @ an FFL dealer, so the purchaser's info can be run.  I would imagine this will include all inherited guns as well.   

Luckily, my CCW is a lifetime deal so I hopefully won't have to deal with that again (as long as I live in this state and the ccw rules don't change).

I've read on a couple of sites that manufacturers are bringing out more lead free ammo for 2009 (as the handwriting on that subject is on the wall). 

Lots of things my change in the next few years.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:25 AM »

WHAT A JOKE
I agree bush is a joke.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:26 AM »
I go in and buy a gun and I only wait about 10 minutes for the check.  My wife goes in and buys a gun the check takes two hours.  This has happened four times to her in the last two years.  She is really ticked off because she was with me the last time I bought one and could not believe it was so fast for me.

The only difference other than the obvious between us is that she has a concealed carry permit, and I don't.  Personally I think it is ATFs way of harassing CC permit holders.  I do know she is hassled by TSA if they find out she has a CC permit.  We were traveling and when she removed her drivers license the TSA agent saw her CC permit under her drivers license and asked if that was a Concealed Carry permit.  My wife answered yes, they pulled her out of line and took her to a room for interrogation.  They would not let me go with her.  They kept her for over two hours before they would release her to board her flight.  They also pulled all our luggage off the airplane and searched it.  Our luggage did not show up at our destination till the next day.

In other words if one has a CC Permit it is sometimes best to not let it be known.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »
  I do know she is hassled by TSA if they find out she has a CC permit.  We were traveling and when she removed her drivers license the TSA agent saw her CC permit under her drivers license and asked if that was a Concealed Carry permit.  My wife answered yes, they pulled her out of line and took her to a room for interrogation.  They would not let me go with her.  They kept her for over two hours before they would release her to board her flight.  They also pulled all our luggage off the airplane and searched it.  Our luggage did not show up at our destination till the next day.

In other words if one has a CC Permit it is sometimes best to not let it be known.   

Thats a bunch of crap right there-Racial profiling of muslims is taboo but they can harrass someone who has jumped through all kinds of hoops to get a CCW. ??? Do they really believe you wife as a CCW holder would be dim enough to carry her sidearm through the airport??? Ah yes the people who keep us "safe"!
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
i have bought 5 guns this year and everyone has had a hold put on it. i don't know why heck i haven't done anything clean record and have a permit to carry concealed gun. has anyone had the same experience i even put my social on there if that's not going to help then I'm going to stop putting it on there i don't know i thought maybe if someone buys a certain amount they start to put a hold on it any other ideas.
I used to have the same problem. It turns out that my SS# did not match what the DMV had on file. I bought 4 or 5 guns since I moved back to PA and had problems with all of them. Then this past summer I had to renew my drivers licence and the guy at the counter asked if I had my SS card with me. I did and he told me it was 1 number off from what they had on file. Turns out that was the root of the problems. I have bought 2 guns since without any problems at all. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
In NC i never been put on hold because i have a ccw don't kno about your state.

Offline boondocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
When bush gets out of office it will be back to normal.

What have you been drinking!!!!!  If you quit protecting your massa and check his history on firearms.

obama mixes the koolaid and your first in line. What are you a Brady poster child.

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
Its a hassle i drove 45 min to go get the gun 45 min back home without it and will make another trip up there and back Friday i guess 3 hr of driving for a silly $110 gun  i know its useless to go to a gunshow unless i find somebody selling there private gun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
Do you use your social security number on the form?  It is optional, but if you omit it, you can bet there will be a hold on your background check.  Without it, they have to dig much deeper to determine you from some felon with the same name.

Simply NOT factural. I don't ever put mine down and have never had a moments delay in approval. As soon as the last piece of info is provided by the dealer the approval is given instantly as the system is designed to do. In Alabama dealers go direct to the database they don't deal with the state. In places where the state does it I suspect you get longer delays but NICS direct is instantaneous for me every time and that's a lot of times each year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
Same here in VA.
We have instant check and I have never had to wait more than a few minutes.
I think they know me on a first name basis by now! :D

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
my  first  delay was  a chinaman  with  a concealed carry  permit
the  problem  was  their  name  sequence....some one  else  with  similar name

only  to  other  delays  were  people  with  felony  arrest  but  no  felony confictions
one  approved within  a month
the  other  had  to  be  cleared  through  the  FBI

Florida  checks go through  the FDLE

i  was  once  falsely  arrested and they tryed  to take  my carry permit...but  not  the  FLL

all  other  sales  no  problems

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »
Never had a moments problem here in GA.  Here if you have a CC the dealer just files your paperwork and out you go.  I don't know if they go straight to the FEDs or what, I've never asked, but my brother said it took all of 5 min. for approval for him.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
they  don't  have a waiting period  for  handgun  with a carry permit

other than  that  it is a NON-ISSUE    [meaning  it don't matter...done deal]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:58 AM »
I never put my social security number on the purchase form. I have never had a hold on a sale either. I have purchased six firearms in the last two years, a rifle, shotgun, and four handguns and the phone call lasted maybe two minutes on each. My wife has purchased two handguns in that time and it took no longer. Maybe there is a code word the dealer uses if you don't look trustworthy so they will check that person more thoroughly.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 05:13:49 AM »
Just trying to get rid of the double post which I have no idea how it happened.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:25 AM »
I sold a gun to a friend of mine, who had it stolen.  Now I have to wait 3 days to buy a gun.  I was the original pruchaser of the gun.  I called ATF and they said they have to check to make sure I am not a straw dealer. 

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »
Never been delayed myself. Best story I've ever heard was, setting up at a gun show in Dayton, was talking with another dealer that had a shop in the Cincinnati area. Man walked into his shop and picked out a handgun,filled out the forms, and when the dealer called it in, the buyer got delayed. The guy got all upset and stormed out. Not mad at the dealer, but mentioned he'll do something about this. Came back later in the day, and asked the dealer to call back in to see if he'ld been ok'd. He was. He paid for the gun, and then proceded to pull out his badge, he was FBI. Seems one of his buddies in Washington, had pulled a fast one, and purposely delayed him, just to mess with him. He had gone back to his office, and called D.C. and found out who it was, and reemed him out. Even those guys have a sense of humor.(once in awhile) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline blackhawk45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »

Please remove your head,from your ANAL Canal, before posting !
Hunter, Shooter,Second Amendment Supporter,Handloader.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
It's the FBI, not the ATF.

Working at a "large discount retail company", I sign off on 3-4 of the 4473's per week.  In Oklahoma, we sold more guns and I signed off on maybe 2-3/day.  A lot. 

First off- there are multiple levels to the FBI NICS check: 
a)I might just call in the 4473 info and get the transaction number and approval
b)I call and the call center person passes me up the federal food chain to an "examiner"
the examiner may or may not be able to make a decision based on the information that he has
c)I call and you get delayed

I don't work for the government, but in my opinion:

It doesn't matter what you put on the form, if the call center is busy and the first level spook cannot approve you then you get delayed (the examiners are all too busy), tough stuff for you, hire more spooks

Dale has good point:  if 1 piece of info, the SSN for example, doesn't match then you have a problem, the first level Fed cannot approve the transaction (or more likely the computer doesn't)

my personal observation is that multiple former addresses and multiple states in particular make red flags to the Feds that slow down transactions.  If they put in "John Q Smith" and 999-99-9999 and you come back with Arkansas and Texas addresses and DL's then someone has to make a decision.  The FBI are bureaucrats, no offense to them, but bureaucracies don't encourage individual decision making.  Is it a fact.....no, just my anecdotal observation

No offense to the original poster, but when you are delayed don't get all pissed off at the guy behind the counter.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm

"If no matching records are returned by any of the databases, the transaction is automatically proceeded. If the NICS returns a match of the prospective firearm transferee's descriptive information to that of record information located in any of the databases, the FFL is advised that the transaction is delayed. While the FFL is still on the telephone, the call is placed on hold and transferred to the NICS Section in Clarksburg, West Virginia, for a quick review and evaluation by an FBI NICS Legal Instruments Examiner (NICS Examiner). If the record information returned by the NICS presents a valid match to the descriptive information of the prospective firearm transferee, the NICS Examiners, who have access to protected information (as opposed to Call Center personnel who do not have such access) reviews the information if state and federal firearm prohibitive criteria exists. If the information matched by the NICS is not a valid match or no prohibitive criteria exists, the FBI NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to PROCEED with the firearm transaction. The FFL must record the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) on the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes.

If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the FBI NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the call is concluded. The FFL must record the NTN on the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes."

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »
i ve never gotten pissed at the people behind the counter since i know its nothing theyve done. but im tired of being delayed for no reason all my purchases have been in one state and put my social on all my forms. i think that would eliminate the posibilty of confusion with somebody else having the same name none of the guns ive ever bought were ever used in any crime i still own all my guns that had paperwork on them. i wonder if it could have something to do with the quanity that ive bought ive bought atleast 30 guns in the past 8 years.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 01:35:06 AM »
I wanted to get myself a 'gag' gift for Christmas and went to purchase one from a local sporting goods store.  I was delayed and the smiling jerk behind the counter told me 'anywhere from 30 minutes to 30 days'.  I responded with 'well, I see obama has already sent word to his soon to be agencies' and the kid started hoppin' around saying 'it's not obama, it's not obama, the feds are busy, that's all'.  My response was 'if you think it isn't obama then let's see where you're gonna be workin' by this time next year.  I doubt it's gonna be in a gunshop'.............

I'm going to wait for the store to call me with my approval and then I'm going to wait twice as long to tell him to cancel the order. 

We have a local gun show coming up in Jan, only 3 days after it takes office - I wonder if he thinks he can close the 'gun show loophole' that quickly.  And, I plan on going with lots of $ in my pocket to see what I can buy 'off the shoulder' of the guy sellin' it.  Mikey.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »

What have you been drinking!!!!!  If you quit protecting your massa and check his history on firearms.

obama mixes the koolaid and your first in line. What are you a Brady poster child.

Boondocker, I think he lives next door to Swampy!!  ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.