Author Topic: Christmas shopping notes  (Read 548 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Christmas shopping notes
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:15:15 AM »
I did the shopping for my wife's Christmas presents this past weekend and was amazed to see how much some of the prices had been reduced. Among other things, she wanted some clothing items, like a nice terry cloth bathrobe and comfy socks. It turned out that JC Penney had these. What I actually paid was shockingly different from sticker price. Sticker prices were $60 for the robe, and $22 for two pairs of really good socks = $88. I paid $29. I figured there must be some mistake but the clerk confirmed it was right. These are quality goods and are truly worth the $88.

Now here's the question: Why don't gun dealers give great deals like this?
Safety first

Offline powderman

Re: Christmas shopping notes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:23 AM »
QUESTOR. I can't imagine even considering any pair of socks that expensive. I'd imagine that the merchandise was seasonal, guns are not seasonal. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:06:41 AM »
Some socks are worth it. Smartwool is one of those brands. For hiking and hunting and other outdoor activities, it's hard to beat a good set of socks. I consider them more important than the shoes sometimes. My good hunting socks cost about $15 a pair, and they are definitely worth it. (Even though for daily wear I might wear sneakers I bought at Walmart for less than the price of the socks.

Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:07:21 AM »
The stuff I got didn't look seasonal to me.
Safety first

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:13 AM »
I would pay 100 dollars for socks to keep my wife happy.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
Profit margin on a pair of socks is like jewlery. 400-500% Those socks probaly cost JC Penny 4-5 dollars. If that much. Your local gun dealer might be working on a 20 to 40 percent markup. Kinda hard to stay in business selling merchandise below cost. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
Likely several reasons for it Rudy. Gun dealers are having a hard time keeping items in stock. Other type stores are having a hard time selling what they have. I was in Wal-Mart today and the shelves are FULLY STOCKED. This closed to CHRISTmas I'd have expected them to be almost empty certainly not fully stocked even toys and things very much seasonal the shelves were just lined with them.

Folks are just not spending the money this year they have in many years past. I know I sure spent a LOT less except at the gunstores of course. But then the fact the gunstores got all my money had a bit to do with that. :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »
MY thoughts on whenever they have one of these great sales is, so were they (BEEP)ing me all the rest of the time?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
MY thoughts on whenever they have one of these great sales is, so were they (BEEP)ing me all the rest of the time?

Some times yes other times not really. This time of year they do make a lot of special buys on merchandise intended to be sold before the end of year and they really really really don't wanna carry it over to the new year. They often have less in it than normal stock and they will even take a loss if necessary many times to avoid carrying it over. I have to admit the items Rudy bought seem a bit unlikely to fall into that category tho. Socks and bathrobe should be year round stock items at JC Penney. But maybe they weren't.

If you really want to see the prices fall go out on January 2 and buy up all the CHRISTmas specific items like wrapping paper and ornaments and such that sell ONLY this time of year. They are practically giving it away.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:46 AM »
Maybe a lot of folks ain't spendin like they used to, but my wife has made up for it.  Okay, I admit that I just bought me the most expensive Christmas present I ever got also.  So we're doing our part to keep things going.
Swingem