Author Topic: Judging Antelope  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Tony D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Judging Antelope
« on: August 19, 2003, 08:28:24 AM »
I'm not particulary interested in a Boone and Crocket buck, but would like to take a decent one.  I'll be hunting in Area 38 in Wyoming.  I've seen pics of antelope in magazines, but being from the People's Republic of Illinois, I haven't seen one in the wild.  What do you look for and how do you judge the horns?  Mass, length, prongs?  Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how to judge a representative animal.

Thanks!
Tony D ><>

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Judging Antelope
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 12:52:18 PM »
:D Good luck in Wyoming. I never hunted 38. I hope you are all set with good binoculars and lots of rifle practice. You can judge antelope by comparing horn lenght to ears. Yearling bucks have horns about the same lenght as their ears. Older bucks have horns that stick up past their ears. When a bucks horns are about twice his ears or longer then he's a real nice buck. When you get to Wyoming glass alot of antelope bucks.After awhile youll be able to tell which are the big ones. In general B&C antelope are not common. Wyoming isn't knon for huge antelope and feed conditions during the summer play a large part in horn size. If you shoot an antelope over 15 " you have shot a real nice animal. I don't know how big a B&C antelope is. An expert guide may be able to tell B&C bucks but I can't. I haven't scored enough antelope racks to compare them to animals I see walking around. You could go to a taxidermist or maybe one of those big sporting goods stores like Cabelas and look at their mounts.  Good luck and enjoy your hunt.  Antelope taste good! :sniper:

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Judging Antelope
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 03:19:33 AM »
If the prong is above the top of the ear, you're looking at a shooter, especially in Wyoming.  The average antelope ear is about 7" tall, so look for one that is at least twice that.  A 14-15" buck is a nice first antelope, and a real nice one in Wyoming from what I understand.  I like mass and nice curves myself, call it character, so I don't sweat the overall length.  Of course in this state (NM), you need the luck of the Irish to get a tag, so I've only hunted them once.  Took a nice 14.5" buck, but should have held out for a larger one.

Offline wyote

Judging Antelope
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 03:41:13 AM »
I'm terrible at judgeing antelope, the ear thing is a good way to judge length. I always look for big cutters (prongs) IMO they make a better looking mount no matter what the length, 13 in and up that is
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline Tony D

• Avid Poster
Judging Antelope
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 04:06:52 AM »
That's just the info I was looking for - Thanks!

I will be using a 14" Contender in 308 Bellm.  I know I'll be limited to about a 250 yard shot, but I like hunting with the TC.
Tony D ><>

Offline wyote

Judging Antelope
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 01:32:51 AM »
Tony

Hunting antelope with a pistol is great fun. Frustrating at times, but it's my favorite way to hunt antelope. My main gun for stalking antelope is a savage striker in 260 rem

I really bummed because my antlelope area opened "YESTERDAY" and I can't go tell the first of next week. My son is getting married this weekend and I have to be in Cheyenne this afternoon. The area I drew is a pistol/muzzleloader only hunt. I'm going to try sitting over a water this year and see if I can get one with my Ruger bisley in 45 colt
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Judging Antelope
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 02:52:40 PM »
:D The last antelope I shot was with my contender in a  7 X30 . It's not all that hard to get a less than 200yard shot at an antelope. My last buck came within a 100yards to see what that fat hairy thing on the ground was. So I took the shot. Hardest thing was getting a good rest that I could shoot over the grass with. Good luck! :sniper: