Author Topic: In need of scope wisdom  (Read 584 times)

Offline Kyle Hawkins

• Trade Count: (0)
In need of scope wisdom
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:48:50 AM »
Well my parents got me the bushnell banner 6-24x40 that i have been wanting for quite a while... Brand new from Bass Pro, complete with scratches and everything. and even if i looked over the scratches i decided that this isnt even close to a quality scope, i should have listened t everyone else. so im going to return the scope for money, then on midway im buying a harris bipod, claw sling, and a DNZ med mount.
And now i need some advice. this is for a stevens 200 .223 i know... not a recoil rifle but still..

1. What is the main difference on a fixed power and variable scope, other that one obviously moves.

2. I have found a Bushnell 3200 10x40 it has a mill dot and target knobs. i have grew quite fond of it. but it is set at 10 power and i want this to be a target mostly with some varmint type of gun. so will 10 power be enough to take 300yd targets? accurately?

3. And i do know that US Snipers use a fixed power scope, that is saying alot to me. but i also understand why, the mils dont move with a variable scope so they can eaisly be momorized.

So overall what do you think is best a variable or fixed scope?

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: In need of scope wisdom
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
A fixed power scope should have better quality than a variable power scope of the same price.  Less parts to add cost and complexity in a fixed so you should get better quality.  The 10x Bushnell is a good value in my opinion, whether it will work is up to you.  Shooting bullseyes I would say no, shooting squirrels/chucks/coyotes/clay pigeons/soda bottles/etc. at 300(and beyond) I would say yes.  The one that I have is going on my .223 Savage.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
I have both - fixed power and variables. A higher powered scope will give you smaller groups...if you have a rock solid rest. But not by a whole lot. True bench rest guns have fixed power scopes on them. Usually 24X to 36X. This is way too much power for any thing except bench rest work. I have shot black birds with a fixed 10X at about 250 yards. I am talking about a target that is less than 2.5" across at the chest. I had to "walk" the shot in. It took three shots on the first bird and 2 on the second bird. There was a cross wind and I was estimating the distance with a 222 Remington. I could see the bird "duck" and knew I was getting close. The point is I could see the target just fine with a 10X scope. Unless you get a very good scope, your point of aim will change slightly when you turn the power up or down. If you can put your cross hair on a target and still see the target, you have enough power to shoot accurately. I do not know what sized targets you are planning on shooting at 300 yards, but if it is a 3" Bullseye or so, you will have no trouble seeing it with a 10X as long as it has fine enough cross hairs.

Here is a picture of a target I shot at 100 yards with a 6.5X - 20X variable. I was trying to see if the point of impact changed from one power setting to another. There were slight changes. Another reason I think fixed powers are more accurate over all. But you can see that there is not a whole lot of difference in the group size from 12X to 20X. More than one group at each setting would have to be fired to really prove that out.

I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X. It is a pretty good scope for the money. It has mil-dots; the elevation and windage adjustments seem very repeatable. They are ruggedly built.

I am presently building a 223 for some long distance shooting, but at PD, not fixed targets. It is going to be very heavy, around 14-15 pounds when finished. I have planned on purchasing another Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X for this rig. I just saw a Nikon on sale for $300 that looks interesting. Both have mil-dots, both have target knobs, but the Nikon has a side AO and comes with a sun shade. On the down side the Nikon is a variable, but I can set it at 10X and do all my shooting at that power range and I do not have first hand knowledge to know how rugged it is or repeatable the setting are. I think I am still going to get the Bushnell...but. Good Luck and Good Shooting

One more thing, check the prices at Mid South Shooters Supply. I buy from both, but find in many cases that Mid South is cheaper if both have the same product.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
thanks alot,

i was saying 300 yds as my absolute max, just that one day i might shoot a target that far or something, or maybe on someones farm at a coyote or something like that. this will be a target/ varmint gun for me. And i am pretty much sold on this scope now, my last question is about the parallax, is there any problems with it? at what ranges? and what about close ranges?

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
No parallax adjustment on that scope but with the scope mounted properly, a stock that fits well and good/consistent cheek weld you'll be fine.  The higher the magnification and the farther away the target the bigger the effects of parallax, 10x at 300 shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
10X is fine from 100 to 300, may be a little bit much up close though. It will be slow to get on target until 50 yards or so when hunting. Not trying to talk you out of it. A 3200 is a very good scope for the money. If you plan on shooting up close you may have to look into a variable to still have the high magnification.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
Parallax only comes into play if your eye is not centered in the recital. KRP has said this already, be consistent with your eye placement and you will not have parallax issues. I have shot up close with a 10X scope, I actually sighted along the barrel for extremely close shots. Once you get out past 25 yards or so, you can use the scope. Every thing may not be crystal clear (in focus) but enough to see the cross hairs and target. Remember if you are going to shoot at real close range you will shoot slightly low. This is because the bullet path has not risen enough to cross the line of sight. Of course when you are sighting down the side of the barrel you try to center it right on the target. I have shot several ground hogs at very short range this way. If the ground hogs have not been hunted and not used to seeing people, you can get real close to them before they dash to the hole. I had one that ran up across a railroad tracks right in front of me maybe 10 feet. he just froze and I raised the rifle real slow and popped him. I shot another out of a tree, maybe 15 feet up. Yes, ground hogs can climb trees. Good Luck Kyle and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:25:17 AM »
Thanks,

i took the bushnell back to bass pro yesterday and they saw the scratches and stuff and had no problems returning it. so now im getting a sling, harris, scope mount, and bore snake with that money and then once i got enough again im sold on the bushnell.

ill come back with a review