Author Topic: Deciding on fixed 4 X.......  (Read 1282 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Deciding on fixed 4 X.......
« on: December 27, 2008, 07:22:16 AM »
Well Im going to take the advice of the good people on this forum and go with a fixed 4 X scope for my hunting purposes. Now I have come up with two good choices(in my opinion):
1) Sightron S-II  4 x 32  (174.25)
2) Leupold FX-II  4 x 33  (269.99)
I was thinking for 100.00 less I would be more than satisfied with the Sightron. Can someone tell me Im wrong and help me decide differently ?
Thanks

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Deciding on fixed 4 X.......
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
I have the Sightron SII 4X32.  It's a very nice scope and Sightron's guarantee and service reputation is very good.  I can't say a thing in the world bad about Leupold (I have three of them), but in this case I don't see that the additional price is reflected in any significant additional value.  I think both scopes are very good ones that should serve you very well for a lifetime.
The only other comments I would have is to make sure you can mount the one you choose on whatever you are planning to mount it on.  The ring spacing and eye relief issues with compact scopes compact scopes can get a little dicey on some rifles.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »
Thanks Cement Man. Thats two votes for Sightron in my opinion because of price and now you mentioned eye relief which is a little more on the Sightron vs the Leupold. The scope will be going on a 223 Stevens model 200. I will be removing the stock and replacing it with a youth stock.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
Leupold Hands down. I have a  4x on my 35Whelen. best move Iever made when it comes to scopes I've sold a bunch of scopes to folks in my day and Leupold is about as good as you are going to get IMHO
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
Now what did you go and do that for Foggy ? Just kidding. Ive been doing some more research on Leupold and it is hard to beat them from what I read. Ive been looking at some Leupold M8 4X and are those for rimfire only ?

Offline 300S+W

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »
   M8 was Leupolds old designation for it's fixed power scopes but I don't know when they renamed them. The new fixed power scopes are designated FX. The rimfire versions are 4x28mm and the rifle versions are 4x33mm.

til later

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:25:19 AM »
Thanks 300S+W. Ive been doing some more looking around and reading and Im 99% sure Im going to try the Sightron. The highest quality scope Ive ever owned and still have is a Nikon Prostaff and its been really good. I hope the Sightron will be at least as good and hopefully better.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:10:13 AM »
My first choice is always LEUPOLD. They do cost a bit more, but you definitely get what you pay for from them!! If the cost is a bit much, why not buy used? No worries as long as your buying at least a VXI as they have a LIFETIME WARRENTY TO WHOM EVER OWNS THEM!!!! So just buy it and return to the factory for a "checkup".

Having said that, I have bought a couple PENTAX game seeker scopes for handis last year and have been very impressed with the 4 and 6 powers. About a hundred bucks on sale and repeatable click, FINGER adjustments, clear coated optics and a nice graduated reticule for different POI points.

Truth be told, most any good name manufacturer is going to be just fine for what your looking for in a 4X scope. I mean if they screw up a fixed 4X scope, IMHO, they have no business being in business, right?!!  ::)

Good luck with your search,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
CoffeeInMe, you might want to be sure the Sightron will work without extension rings. The length of tube to mount the  Sightron is 4.4" and the FX II 4x33 Leupold is 5.5". I considered the Leupold 4x for my 30-06 but I didn't want to use extension ring(s) so I bought a 3x9x40mm Leupold VX2.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Yes Dave in WV I noticed from theyre website http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=7&id=42 that it is a very compact scope. I can only hope I have a decent plan but it will fit in between the rings its just that there is not a lot of room for movement. I have ordered a Stevens model 200 in .223 and I also have a used youth stock on the way soon. With that in combination with the Sightron having an eye relief of 4.5 then I hope all should work out alright.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
Great. Sounds like an interesting rig you're setting up.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:00:14 AM »
I added a couple pics of the PENTAX, if your interested...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
Thanks cwlongshot. I do already have my Sightron scope ordered and on its way. That does look like a well made scope for the money. I hope Im not disappointed with the Sightron. Great pictures too.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:04:39 PM »
Weaver K4- available on Muller.com
I really like the Weaver stuff and I think you get Leupold Var XII quality at 80% the cost.
or
Nikon Pro Staff 4X.  Cabela's it's 109.99 item #LJ- 71-1747 427
and if you use use the cabela's reate it's $20 off till the 12th of Jan.
When you chek out there is a button to redeem rewards.
Hit it.
in the blue box type
170830938 in the yellow type CWEVHW
and any order over $100 will be $20 bucks off. So 89.99 plus shipping.
Hope it was helpful.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks cwlongshot. I do already have my Sightron scope ordered and on its way. That does look like a well made scope for the money. I hope Im not disappointed with the Sightron. Great pictures too.

Personally, I have never had one or knew anyone who has. But some of the guys here have and they have good things to say, so its likely you will be fine. I wish you luck with it!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »
That sounds like a good as well  mcwoodduck. Here are a couple of links on the Sightron if interested. Just type in "Sightron review" in google and Im sure you can find more
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sightron_SII_scopes.htm
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/gr/pr_sightrons139.htm
http://www.snipercentral.com/s3sightron.htm

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Weaver K4- available on Muller.com
I really like the Weaver stuff and I think you get Leupold Var XII quality at 80% the cost.
or
Nikon Pro Staff 4X.  Cabala's it's 109.99 item #LJ- 71-1747 427
and if you use use the cabala's rebate it's $20 off till the 12th of Jan.
When you check out there is a button to redeem rewards.
Hit it.
in the blue box type
170830938 in the yellow type CWEVHW
and any order over $100 will be $20 bucks off. So 89.99 plus shipping.
Hope it was helpful.

I was there yesterday explicitly looking for a 4X scope.. trouble is there 1960's meat counter  "take a number" system for taking care of customers....

I took a number as soon as I got to the counter.. went shopping got back about 15 Min's later.. still had ten plus numbers to go. I stood around another 20+ minutes.. STILL 7 numbers to go... I left with my number of the counter........  They where busy, but I have seen them MUCH busier. Couple of the guys looked like they had some "buddies" at the counter....  OH well, I'm kinda glad because it forced me to another local shop that had the LEUPOLD I REALLY should have been looking for anyhow!!  Strange how everything worked out!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
CW,
I have yet to go to a Cabela's store.  I only have ordered from the catalog or by internet.
My uncle has one near him and he hates the the gun room guys at place in Ft Worth.  He says he waits for hours there too to have the guy give no advice or help and try to move on to the next customer.  My Uncle was looking for a gun for my Cousin who is now 13 (my Uncle is only 3 ysears older than I am) and could not get any help out of the counter guy.
I wish I could say that Bass Pro Shop, I have one near me and one was close to my last house outside of Los Angeles, but they are the same way and I do not think they know what we know.
I wish they would set up a space with blank stocks and let you look through the scopes like you can look through the binoculars and spotting scopes.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:25:40 AM »
 For a fine 4x scope I'd go over to the optics classified & get that Burris fixed 4x.
NRA, Veteran

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
CW,
I have yet to go to a Cabala's store.  I only have ordered from the catalog or by internet.
My uncle has one near him and he hates the the gun room guys at place in Ft Worth.  He says he waits for hours there too to have the guy give no advice or help and try to move on to the next customer.  My Uncle was looking for a gun for my Cousin who is now 13 (my Uncle is only 3 years older than I am) and could not get any help out of the counter guy.
I wish I could say that Bass Pro Shop, I have one near me and one was close to my last house outside of Los Angeles, but they are the same way and I do not think they know what we know.
I wish they would set up a space with blank stocks and let you look through the scopes like you can look through the binoculars and spotting scopes.

Your definitely right about some of them not knowing mush!! 
  I herd two phone conversations while I was waiting.. The first one was a customer looking for a 7Mag Rem Model 7. The guy behind the counter puts the phone down and looks up and down the line of Remington's, doesn't find one. So he hollers the question to one of the other guys. Who responds, "Look, if you don't find one, NO we don't have one. We will have to order it for them." The Model 7 is a SHORT action bolt gun! I'm sure you know the 7maggie is a long action proposition only.  :o
  The second call, to the same guy behind the counter, has a customer looking for 10Ga blanks for his Winchester cannon. The guy goes and looks in the snap caps and returns to the phone saying NO, we only have up to 12GA snap caps. The caller must have better explained what he wanted because the guy replied NO "What in the world".. Your telling me you have a connon that shoots 10Ga blanks???  They are popular here for some reason, mostly shot at 4Th of July and ocean regattas/ and Yacht clubs.
 Ha ha I got a chuckle out of that... I guess you don't get much expertise for minimum wadge!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »
I grew up in NJ just off of Sandy hook and the 10 and 12 Ga cannons were everywhere.  We used them in Boyscouts to rais the flag in the morning and to start sailing races.  My dad had a friend that had his set up using a magnifying glass it would fire at noon.  The sun would burn through kit string that would drop a sash cord weight and Bang.  The empty blanks work well to make 2&7/8 inch shells.
But with the 7mm Mag and the M7 rifle... I used to work in retail and if the customer wanted something that was not exactly made you tried to get them in the store and show them what you did have in order to make the sale.  Also the guy behind the counter may have thought 7, 770, 700 what's the difference.  I have to bite my tounge when I walk into the gun shops and just let the guy behind the counter say what he is going to say.
I have a friend that is the Benelli and H&K rep.  He has four or five sales men that sell these guns everyday to thier customers.  When we have a 3 day show in Southern CA and they have tables out front with the different firearms and there is a firing line where you can try the new firearms that are on the bench.  What always gets me is Mike has me out in the sales tent and leaves me alone in one side to talk about H&K.  He rotates his sales people in to watch what I do and say.
But a friend of mine Robert Marcus of Bob's Guns and Tackle in Norflok once told me.  "If your work is your hobby you will not make any money and if your hobby is your work same, So since I own a gun store I have other hobbies than shooting, fishing, and hunting".
So I have tried to stay away from gun shops as gainful employment.  I did help out a few times with friends that own shops and was the best unpaid sales person they had.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
The Model 7 is a SHORT action bolt gun! I'm sure you know the 7maggie is a long action proposition only.

So much for knowledgeable advice.  ;D

The model seven is actually available or has been in both 7 mag and 300 mag at various times. Haven't you ever heard of the Remington USM or Winchester short mags? Remington has and has made them available in the Model seven at various times so asking for a Model Seven 7 mag isn't so silly after all so long as it wasn't specifically the belted mag he asked about.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!