Author Topic: Concealed Carry Training and self protection handgun  (Read 708 times)

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Concealed Carry Training and self protection handgun
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
I am looking for training in WV for concealed carry of a handgun.  I have not been to class or purchased a handgun at this time.  I have found a taining class in Parkersburg called RLR Firearms. and he requests you to bring your handgun to class.  He also teaches the appropriate selection of a handgun. isn't this a "catch 22" situation?  How can I bring an appropriate handgun to class if I have not been to class?  I guess I am asking, what is an appropriate handgun and how do I select an appropriate handgun for concealed carry and self protection?  If I'm missing the point here, please explain, this is all new to me.

Thanks, Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

Dean, West Virginia, USAF, Retired, NRA Life Member, member HCA, USCCA

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Concealed Carry Training and self protection handgun
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »
Dean - ask the folk at RLR what they consider to be an appropriate handgun, considering the reasons you want to carry.

The best way out of a 'Catch-22' situation is to seek clarification.  If RLR turns out to be a undercover cop/bodyguard/secret agent/blackwater type training you may wish to reconsider another trainer or training program more oriented to civilian carry needs.  You can also ask your local police if they have any recommendations.

As to firearm and carry method - we have better than 25,000 members here on Graybeard - any guesses to how many different opinions you might get???????

BTW - why are you looking to carry and what have your experiences been that you seek a ccw?  I'm sure someone like RLR will ask youthe same questions we will but you will get many more responses here, for sure............... Mikey.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:28:05 AM »
I think the intent here is for the CCW holder to select a handgun appropriate for use in CCW situations.  One would not pick a revolver with a long barrel for use as a defense CCW weapon, nor would he use a .22 automatic as the caliber is too light for stopping an attacker.  I think the intent of bringing your own weapon to class was to bring up any problems or disadvantages with you chosen firearm with regard to its primary purpose of self defense.  The caliber should be large enough to stop an attacker, the physical dimensions small enough and light enough for concealment, and especially most important is the grip for the owners hand and feel of the gun to him alone.  How a person holds the firearm and his hand holding the grip will give better results than a gun that one moves his hands up and down the grip to find a good hold.  Revolvers and autos both have their merits and disadvantages.  My personal choice is a revolver 5 shot .357 mag with a Makarov 7.62 auto backup.  The auto is purely backup or loaned to my wife and chosen because it fits EITHER hand so well.  Yes, there are disadvantages by using 2 different calibers and types for a backup.  Does it bother me, no.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »
Hi Mikey, thanks for your comments.  I do plan on contacting RLR on what they consider to be an appropriate handgun and I'm scheduled to talk to my local sheriff this week and get some recommendations on training facilities near by to sharpen my past military experience.

I have seen so much evil in this world in my life time, had thefts and burglaries at my place while I have been away, what could have happened if I was there or it happened to me and my family while away from home.  I realize WV is not a crime center, but it still happens.  The protection of my own life so I will be around if my family and friends need help.  Please don't take me wrong, I value life of man and animal, God gave it to us, I only hunt to provide food for the table, not for trophies.

I understand how many there are on Graybeard, and also understand how many opinions I could get, but I'm also not afraid to ask for opinions and would consider those that meet my morals, my upbringing and God's laws.  It would be hopes that no one would ever know and I would never have to use the weapon.

Hi deltecs, thanks for your ideas also.  I have a caliber and firearm in mind, but would like to hear what others are using and why.

Thanks to both, Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:17:22 AM »
CyberDean,  How bout them Mountaineers! My guess would be RLR is talking about any small to medium sized Semi-automatic pistol or DA revolver having a barrel between 2" to 5" and at least 5 round capacity in a mid power caliber.  Longer barrels are too unwieldy to present from a holster.  Calibers stouter than .45acp are generally difficult to control and make follow up shots slow.   IMO, You can't go too far wrong with any well made 4", .357mag/.38spl revolver or compact to mid sized 9mm semi-auto.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jumpsteady

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »
My wife has a S&W 637 in 38 special and I carry a Springfield Armory XD45. So we have both types of guns. I love them both. It all depends on what you are comfortable with.
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:28:11 PM »
There is no single ideal carry gun for all folks or even for any given person under all circumstances. Home protection guns to me are again different than CCW guns also. Look over the many threads already here on the subject to get lots of perspective on what folks have said in response to similar questions in the past. We've got dozens of such threads in this forum.

I personally use a variety of carry weapons and carry methods depending on the specific situation I might find myself in. Here at home there is a loaded firearm within arms reach of me pretty much anywhere I happen to find myself. It's never more than a couple steps from me max at any given time. They run the gamut from revolvers to various semiautos to shotguns to ARs.

My most favored carry method when out and about is in the pocket of one of the many vests I wear. My most favored vest for this purpose is a bit heavy for summer time wear but is ideal once things turn cooler. It has a front loading rear pouch sort of like a game bag althou it's not a game vest so what the idea of the pouch was originally I have no clue. It's like a HUGE pocket on each side of the vest tho.

I can hide anything in there really from a tiny semiauto like the Keltec P32 to one of my G22s or Browning Hi Power. I most often tho carry a S&W 638 in there. It has a shrouded hammer that allows easy fire from inside a pocket. This particular pocket tho is large enough for easy fast draw or to fire from within either. When I'm walking in what might be a dangerous situation I can walk with my hands in my pockets quite innocent looking the cooler the weather and yet in my hand ready for instant use is a loaded firearm.

I also have various holsters for carrying my other and larger guns also. The little P32 can fit anywhere even in the pocket of shorts in summer or really in a shirt pocket if needed.

Only you know where you go and what the likelihood of danger is in those areas thus only you can decide what might be right for you. If for some reason I had to travel into a really dangerous area cuz I just absolutely could not avoid it I'd likely have one or more of my Glocks and multiple back up mags on me. A G22 in my right hand an another or my G27 in my left with spare mags for both would have me as ready as would be humanly possible and still carry concealed.

Tho in my situation I don't really have to go much of anywhere I don't want to so I do not have to travel in such areas and do not. For the most part if I think the chance is more than very minimal of me encountering a situation I might have to use one of my carry guns I'll not go there. Still no matter how slight the chance I want to be prepared and pretty much am 24-7. Obviously I'm most ready in my own home where I know the terrain and where my firearms and ammo are. I know what's cover and what's just concealment. I know where danger could come from and where it can't.

Protecting your family from what is likely to come in the next few years means a lot more than just a single handgun to carry concealed and it requires a lot of thought and preparation and not an inconsiderable investment either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »
Hello Graybeard, thanks for your wisdom and this great site.  Been reading this site and others and I understand what you are talking about.  I have also been checking out NRA's site for possible training to bring me up to date, it has been awhile since I carried a 1911 in the military.  And being on 70 acres and the nearest neighbor being about 1/4 mile away, no one would know what happens around here with the valley bouncing the sounds all around.  I just want to make sure I find the right handgun to fit my small hands so I can shoot it correctly.  Have a good night, I'm out of here, turning the lights down, I think that bear has gone into hibernation finally.

Thanks again, good night.

Dean

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:22:10 AM »
Let me add too the confusion. One must become confused before the light comes. If you aren't confused you are not asking questions.
Some 50 years ago now, I and most folks around this part, defied the law and carried some sort of pistol in the car with them. Then it was normally a .38 snub nose.
Mine was a Ruger .357 with a 5" barrel.
Then it was a Walther PPK .380.
AS things develop you will find that you WANT another, then another, then ALL.
Doesn't make you a bad person.
I like heavy weapons and large calibers in a semi-auto configuration.
Your disposition may differ.
I also carry small weapons in small calibers, on occasions.
Since I do not carry every day, all day, I can do so comfortably without a scabbard--though I have some nice ones.
You will also notice this greed for ALL to well up in you. Again, it don't make you a bad person.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD