Author Topic: Nikon scopes  (Read 1041 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
Nikon scopes
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:41:35 AM »
I did a search and found an thread regarding Nikon scopes started by CW. I would like to hear from those who use or have used Nikon scopes and whether or not you like/dislike them. Thanks, Charlie

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon scopes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:57:29 AM »
I've got a Nikon Pro-staff 3-9 on a marlin 30-30.  It's a cheapo scope that holds zero and the sight picture isn't the best.  I've owned a nikon buckmaster 6-18 and currently own a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 and nikon omega muzzleoader scope.  I really like all the nikon scopes and think they're top notch, except the pro-staff.  The pro-staff is what I consider average, and an alright scope, just nothing to get excited about.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:24:48 AM »
I never owned a nikon scope, but have looked at them before buying.  Nikon scopes don't seem to work with my eyes.  I have to move my head all around to get a sight picture.  This is more so with the Pro Staff model than the others.  I think it has to do with a small eye relief range.  I always recommend looking at a scope before you buy.  What works good for some, are not good for others.   I have the same problem with Leupold scopes.  Bushnell, Zeiss, and pentax seem to work fine for me.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
I like Nikon scopes.  I finally just got a bad one here recently.  It was a lower end 3-9x Prostaff with the BDC that failed on me.  It was mounted on a rifle with a fairly stout recoil and I believe that is what did it in.  The good part is that the Nikon retailer took it back with no issues.  I did trade up to a better model Nikon.  The dealer said that this was the first recoil affected Nikon he ever took back and he sells a lot of Nikons (Cabela's retail store).

I will still buy Nikons as I think they are one of the best scopes out there for the money and I think that the failure I had was isolated.

LAZER 
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
I have an early Nikon Monarch UCC 2x7. I say "early" because it doesn't have the euro fast focus like the newer ones but has the older threaded rear bell and lock ring for focusing. I really like it. It's clear and bright. The Monarchs are a great value IMHO. I can't say how good the Buckmaster or Prostaff lines are.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »
If anyone asked me what would be my favorite scope I would have said Leupold or Zeiss.  However, the scopes I have purchased over the last two years have been Nikon.  The reason when I start looking for the "best bang for the buck" in features I want it seems to end with a Nikon.  I have 2 Monarchs, and 5 Buckmasters.  Considering the features and quality it is a fine scope.  Am looking for another scope and already another Nikon is the top of the list.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »
I think you would be hard pressed to buy better glass(optically) for the price than Nikon.  I don't like there limited internal adjustment and available reticles in some models but if they make something that fits my needs they are my first choice.  I own 5 or 6 of them.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
I used to be a leupold guy because of their reputation, but when I compared leupold vs nikon I found that I get click adjustments instead of "micro friction" and the power of the scope is easily adjusted on the nikon where I feel like I need a pipe wrench half the time I adjust the power on a leupold.  Nothing against the leupold because they do hold their zero, but a Nikon is such a better product for the money.

On my last hunt I got a little turned around in the woods.  I was tumbling over branches and falling into knee/hip deep holes in the darkness and my nikon buckmaster got slammed around HARD.  Never took a shot with it on the trip, but I got back and went to the range, my zero was dead on.  I'm going to be a nikon guy for life until they give me a reason not to be.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »
I am a nikon and sightron owner.  For the lower power scopes, I have sightrons and for the higher power scopes, I have nikons.  I have owned a buckmaster and a monarch gold.  Both are great scopes.  The next higher power scope I get will be the monarch 2.5-10x42.  You can get them for $300 off of ebay.  I don't think you can touch a better scope in that power range for that price. 

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
If you're considering a higer-powered Buckmaster, you might try one before you buy one. The view through my 6-18X seems like looking through a much smaller objective lens than 40mm. The claimed f.o.v. might measure out okay, but it just doesn't seem as "spacious" as other brands with the same dia. lenses. Must be what they call a European view; others have noticed it, too. Heard the Monarchs aren't as bad. Otherwise, the B-masters are great scopes for the money.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
I bought a reconditioned Nikon Buckmaster. I put it on my 270 win. and so far it works great and it is just as clear as my Leopuld VXII. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
I found a way to get rid of my Nikon yesterday!!!
  I bought another LEUPOLD!!  :o ::) ;D :D :D  I found a used VXI for a buck and a half. it doesn't even look like it was ever mounted as there isn't a scratch on it!!  The Nikon went to the wife's Remington Gamemaster that wore my oldest Leupold. A M8 3X with tapered crosshairs. That one is going back to Leupold for a new reticule, a German #1... The wife doesn't really care as long as she has a sciope. She doesn't use this one very much as she likes here 7-30 waters Contender better.

Yea, I know it appears crooked... its not anylonger. (Thats an old pic)  ;D
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
I've got 3 Nikons and like them very much.  I have some of the new Simmons that are a very good value for under $100.  Best value I have had is the Simmons 2.5 8-Point shotgun scopes, got for under $20.00 each and they have held up under 444 marlin recoil fine.  Long eye relief for hard kickers and made for shotgun so I don't expect any problems with them.  I've had scopes from alot of different companies and no more problems with one over another.  Can get a lemon from anything mechanical.  Just look thru them and pick the one you like the best at a price you can afford.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »
My prostaff is clearer than my leupold vx1. Much better scope imo. Of course both are entry level
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country