Author Topic: Help me find a scope for 10/22 please  (Read 594 times)

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help me find a scope for 10/22 please
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
 My last cheap scope bit the dust yesterday. It was a tasco from 10 or 15 years ago, so I can't complain too much. This is a little 10-22 with heavy 16" barrel, target hammer and overmolded stock. It's my primary small game rifle, painted camo. Since I walk with it a lot scope needs to be a simple one, no big whiz bangers. I threw a dot sight on it until I can find one for it. It's not going to work for me. The squirrel in the tree 50 yards away was pretty well covered with the 3 mil dot. Would like a 4X, 2-7x or 3-9X. Would like to keep the budget low since I have to many projects going on right now. No need for low light, just needs to be a low power clear scope for jumping small game in thickets. And popping them out of trees.
Thanks
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
Re: Help me find a scope for 10/22 please
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
I have had a bushnell banner 4x scope on my 10/22 for 30 years and its still going strong.  Check out the bushnell banner dusk til dawn scopes.  They have a 1-4x32 that seems like it would be perfect for your needs.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »
I installed a urethane bolt stop (recoil buffer) in my 10/22 to protect the scope. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4x32 with the Circle-X reticle. The scopes run about $100.

Here's the link for the bolt stop.
http://www.weaponkraft.itgo.com/photo6.html
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »
 Dave, has a recoil buffer on it. But you helped me out any way, I had forgotten about them, have many centerfires that need them.
Thanks
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »
I know this is a little higher power than you were looking for, but the Mueller APV is a great rim fire scope. I have 3 of them. One sets on my 10/22. If the power is too high, you can crank it back some. I usually have it set at 8X and parallax set at 50 yards. It will go down to 4.5X and up to 14X. Parallax will adjust from 10 yards up to infinity. They cost some where around $115 shipped. I also have a Bushnell Banner that is a straight 2.5 power that I have had for years. It set on a Marlin 20 (22 rim fire) for a long time. It now resides on a 44 Mag. rifle. For a low cost scope that holds up well, it is hard to beat a Bushnell Banner in the lower power ranges. I do not care for them when they start reaching over 9X - there are better choices.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline TexSabre

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
I put a Simmons .22 MAG 3X9X30 on my Marlin 99M1 and like it a lot.  It did take me more than a few rounds to get it zeroed (each one was fun) but haven't had to do any readjusting.  I get OK groups at 50yds.  The groups open up some at 100yds but I think it's the old Marlin and not the scope.

Bill aka TexSabre