Author Topic: High magnification pd scope ideas?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
High magnification pd scope ideas?
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »
 Hello, I was about to order a scope today, but thought it may be a good idea to get oppinions on other options first. This will be for long range prarie dogs. Rifle is 223 wssm AR 26" barrel. The one I had in mind is a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50. From what I read it's just a 4200 with high magnification. Budget is $1000 firm. Must be clear, most likely it will be a general use long range varmint rifle, but pd are the prime target right now.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: High magnification pd scope ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
The purpose of a Bushnell 6500 is it's wide range of power adjustments. From a low of 4.5 to 30X. If you are not going to be shooting at close range with it, I think it is a waste of money. I think the Bushnell 3200 series and 4200 series are a heck of a good scope for the money. I do think there better ones, but you will pay considerably more for them.

IMHO - I do not shoot at extreme ranges, so I am not going to comment to the power you need, other than I think a lot of people over scope their rifles power wise. If you are going to be set up with a very, very solid rest, high power is not a disadvantage; otherwise I think it is. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I'd love to have me one of those on my long range PD rifle but at this time just can't afford the cost. It is not just a 4200 at all. It is a 30mm tube not one inch tube scope and has a 6.5 times magnification range as opposed to a 4 times magnification range. It also has more range of adjustment and has side focus for parallax correction.

I say go for it if you can afford it. I'll have one when I can afford it for sure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »
The 4200 I had came with a 30mm tube, side focus, and a claimed 50 minutes of adjustment just like the 4.5-30 6500.  From what I've read the glass in the 6500 is no better than the 4200 that I had and sold because I wasn't impressed.  I would look at Sightron, Nikon, Zeiss or Leupold for <$1000.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
If you are going to shoot long distance only, then this is a good scope right at $1000

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0002453432

If you want to stay well under $1000

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00074630339

Mid South is out of both of these right now, but you can get them other places as well.

These are found on bench rest guns mostly, but should work if you have a real solid rest and are going to shoot at 100 yards and beyond.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
The 4200 I had came with a 30mm tube, side focus, and a claimed 50 minutes of adjustment just like the 4.5-30 6500.

If you say so but mine fits quite nicely in one inch rings. That's what it sets in now. Maybe they have another I'm not aware of but my Elite 4200 6-24 SF is a one inch scope tube. I love it but sure would like to have a couple of the Elite 6500s.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
If you say so but mine fits quite nicely in one inch rings. That's what it sets in now. Maybe they have another I'm not aware of but my Elite 4200 6-24 SF is a one inch scope tube. I love it but sure would like to have a couple of the Elite 6500s.

Model# 42-6245T, 30mm tube and side focus.  I did misspeak about the adjustment though, Bushnell uses inches at 100 yards and not MOA but the advertised adjustment is still the same as the 6500.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »
I have a Weaver 6-24X42 AO on my Remington 700 in 223 and Have no prolem seeing and shooting baking potatoes out to 200 yards with mine.  Can see farther but our range only goes to 225 yards.  The baking potatoes make for good ground squirrel practice.
My scope is clear and bright and with the 6" sun shade on it was far less than the $1,000 budget you have.  Heck for the same $1,000 mine came with a used M700 SPS in .223 mounted in a kevlar stock.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »
I guess I should of posted what it's wearing now and the range it's used at. It is a round a tad hotter than a 220 swift but short and fat, so a tack driver. It has a  4200 6-24x50mm. Sighted in at 350. The problem is my eyes aren't what they once were. I'm fine out to about 575. Not doing well at 600-700. I shoot long range a lot. Sure there is wind drift, but the little guys are almost covered by the recticle. I feel like If I could get just a little more power it would work out right. Anything way under the budget would be great. I just picked up a mueller that was 25X on the high end, that and the 4200 are clear enough for me. I don't have any stores near by to compare so that's why I was going to get the 6500, just quality I know from the 4200. Thanks for the help so far.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
Here is another idea. I do not have one, but have heard they are comparable to the Leupold Target scopes - just a small step back and less than half the cost. The Weaver T-series scopes. You can get it in a 24X or 36X. They have 1/8 MOA adjustments. The cross hair has a 1/8" MOA dot. It would be 1" at 800 yards or so, not enough to cover a PD. The 36X is in the $400 range. I think they are a 1" tube however.

The Bushnell scopes are outstanding and I own more of them than any other brand. I have never looked down a 6500 series scope to give you any feed back - but the 3200 and 4200 series are very good. I just hesitate to recommend one because since you already have a 4200 that goes up to 24X. I am thinking you need a finer cross hair.

Here are some other choices in high powered variables.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=OPTICS&dept2=SCOPES&dept3=RIFLE&dept4=8-32X

The Burris Black Diamond is a very good scope as is the Sightron III both are 30mm tubes and fine cross hairs.

After seeing your "problem" I would most definitely get a 30mm tube - more light transmission.

BTW I have a Mueller Tactical with a 8.5 - 25X power range. A good scope for the money and I like mine, but I do not think it will be up to the standards you are looking for.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
Mine is the 42-6242P. I guess I was unaware of the 30mm tube version. I'll have to take a look at them.

Model# 42-6245T, 30mm tube and side focus.  I did misspeak about the adjustment though, Bushnell uses inches at 100 yards and not MOA but the advertised adjustment is still the same as the 6500.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125