Author Topic: ROA stuck cylinder...  (Read 599 times)

Offline fastshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
ROA stuck cylinder...
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
ROA has a stuck cylinder rod.  The cylinder turns, but the cylinder rod will not come out.  I turned the locking screw in every possible direction and I was unable to remove the cylinder rod to get the cylinder out.  I soaked the cylinder and rod with breakfree and I also heated it.  The cylinder rod will not come out.  Is it rusted in, or perhaps the rod is bent.  Anyone know how to remove the cylinder rod and cylinder.  I followed the ROA manual's directions with no success.  Anyone know a good ROA gunsmith in the Scranton, PA area?

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: ROA stuck cylinder...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
I would be hesitant to use heat. 

Is there any apparent movement ?  Either fore and aft, or rotational ?  If not, it is probably rusted in the frame.   

I do not have a ROA, but suspect the mortise for the cylinder pin is bored through the back of the frame.  The Blackhawk I have is, as are the Remington clones I have.

First, remove the grip frame, then the hammer.   Soak both the front and back ends of the pin liberally with a GOOD penetrating oil for a day or two. Then, use your disassembly instructions to set the pin retainer in the release position.  Have someone hold the revolver, or if you have a vice, pad the gun and clamp it in the vise.  You should be able to see the back end of the cylinder pin in the hammer mortise in the frame.  Use a brass drift, or a steel punch which is slightly smaller than the pin, and try to drive it out from the back. Easy does it, you don't want to peen the end of the pin.
    If it doesn't move, soak it with oil, and wait another day, then try driving it out again.

I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »
You can also call Ruger, they warrant their ROA's the same as all their guns.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:46 AM »
I would use MasterBlaster or Gibbs for your penetrating oils. These will cut through rust much quicker.
Let them soak for a few hours then tap them lightly with a plastic mallet. Try this a few times, it should come loose. If not send it to Ruger, they have a great repair service. And not too expensive.

GOOD  LUCK