Author Topic: Again no moose, I'm jinxed  (Read 643 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Again no moose, I'm jinxed
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »
I finally managed to round up my stuff and join some friends on a winter hunt Sunday -28th. The river has frozen enough folks are able to drive snogos across to the open hunting area and a few moose have been taken. After sitting tight for a few days waiting for forecast bad weather that wasn't as bad as forecast - we went for it.  Along with quite a few others. It never helps to be a week behind the crowds. We did about 80mi of driving and only saw 4 cows. Saw plenty of wolf tracks but no wolves standing in them.  I drive a 91 Arctic Cat Mt Cat 440 and a heavy wood sled. The other 3 guys were driving 98, and newer machines. One a brand new out of the box 2007 skidoo of some sort.  All I know is that everybody else had at least 550 cc's, very light or no sled and MUCH better stability and suspensions. Most of the day I was busy hanging on for dear life trying to keep up and not flip over - hard to look for moose this way. Also the Arctic Cat has a narrower stance than Polaris and Skidoo - so I ping pong from side to side all day at 25-50 mph.  Not to mention the snow cover is somewhat blown off and bouncing off the tundra tussocks makes one feel like the ball in a pin ball game. Got stuck 2 times too. It was a beautiful day. Light breeze to 15 mph and about zero. I had a great time but mostly burned gas, made noise, packed down some snow and trashed my left shoulder.  I need to find a quieter way to hunt. I'm out of hunting for a while until I can move my left arm again. Had to see the Doc today to have some meds so I can sleep. And I think I'll start dreaming on an newer snogo. I have to say the new ones clearly have much better stability and cushioning suspensions (10 in of travel vs my 3-5 in).  Some advantages my old AC has is the high wind shield that really protected me from the wind. One guy frost bit his face and I was fine. Also, my wider cowling (engine hood) protected me more than my friend on his new Skidoo. Plus I was really dressed well and actually got pretty hot when we were driving slow and working through tight brush and trees. My Skidoo friend said though mostly felt ok on the trip, he shivered for over an hour when he got home - darn - he was not adequately dressed or protected from the wind and cold. That's dangerous. He's ordered a new coat.

I forgot my brand new Christmas present camera so can't share the beauty of the area.
Sorry I couldn't share a more successful hunt story but thought I might provoke some equipment and hunting technique discussions.

Rumors are that another area might open in a week, maybe I can heal enough to go. If I do it will be much slower with a lot more looking.  Hope the weather holds - well it could warm up a little, -20 right now. 

Happy New Year everybody.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Again no moose, I'm jinxed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
Not knowing whatis legal in regards to using Snowmobiles and a bunch of other stuff about your area, I can't even start to think about this. ???

What is wrong with cow moose if it is legal to take?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »
terms of the season were: one bull and truth is we were depending on seeing antlers or the marks on the head to be sure as we couldn't get close enough to see other evidence.  So, cows weren't legal.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:41:17 AM »

Bummer !!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.