Author Topic: T/C Shockwaves (SST's) vs. Barnes  (Read 1563 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
T/C Shockwaves (SST's) vs. Barnes
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:08:30 AM »
Can anyone compare the performance of the TC Shockwaves (a.k.a SSt's) to the Barnes muzleloading bullets?

I've done my sight-ins and have hunted with the 250 gr. TC's and the accuracy has been outstanding.  The last 6 shots taken within our group using the TC's have resulted in 6 dead deer, 5 of them bang-flops.  So I'm beginning to wonder about some of the questionable performance capabilities of the TC's that I have read about. 

I've always been impressed with the terminal performance of the Barnes out of my shotgun and have been thinking of giving them a try in the ML.  Would appreciated hearing any comments from Barnes users out there.   

Thanks
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: T/C Shockwaves (SST's) vs. Barnes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:19:14 PM »
Mi.sabot,

I have been using the Shockwave (SST's) in 200/250/300 grain for about 6 years, I have never lost a deer with one and the furthest any have went was 60 yards. I have also used the 250 gr SST's in my 20 ga USH, very devastating results. The only one that didn't pass through was a 200 grain Shockwave over 100 grains BM'3 through both shoulders at 115 yards. It broke bone on both sides and stopped just under the hide on the off side. While cleaning up the bullet, the jacket seperated from the core, but it had already done it's job by then. IIRC the bullet weighed 130-135 grains or a little over 65%. No complaints here.

I also hunted with the Knight 250 grain PBT (Barnes TMZ) this year during the regular gun season in my Knight Disc Extreme MHC. This bullet has shot one hole groups in this rifle, so I just had to try them out on game. I shot a buck through both shoulders, 1/2" hole going in, 1-1/2" holes through both sides of the rib cage, about a 1" hole on the exit. Lungs were jellied, and am very happy with the performance.

I really can't compare the performance, both did there job, and I wouldn't be afraid to use either bullet again. I have read some stories of poor performance with the Shockwave/SST this fall, could have been a bad batch of bullets or something Hornady changed. I did read that these were the ones that have the new flex tip, all mine are the same old hard tips. I haven't seen the soft tips locally yet. I did buy some .45/40 SST's the other day that were packaged with a card that said they were the Flex-Tip, but they were not. I think the packaging got ahead of the bullets, and they are still getting rid of the old hard tipped SST's.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:19:48 AM »
 I had 5 one shot kills with 250grn SSTs this Fall, my partner 2. These were the only shots taken. I think that much of the time we hear talk about 'bullet failure' & 'it got away' it had more to do with shot placement. You also can't blame the bullet when a guy uses a varmint bullet for deer.
NRA, Veteran

Offline j two dogs

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
I shot 250 shockwaves for years out of my Encore, there performance is flawless in that gun. That being said, I do not think these bullets are designed for vel. > 2100fps., this is were problems start to arise. Like in the Savage ML2, or any other smokeless muzzy. That is were you want to go to much tougher bullet, trust me on this, at vel >2300 they may explode when hitting large bones. There are other variables like distance and weight a 300 gr. sst/shockwave that leaves the muzzle @ 2200 fps. at 100 yds is going to perfrom pretty good no matter were it hits.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Do the bonded Shockwaves work better at the higher velocities?

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:55:01 AM »
I have used both bullets and wouldn't worry about lack of penetration from either.  Shot deer at close range with both the SSTand Barnes bullets with 150gr of pyrodex.  Both went through the shoulder and exited the other side.  Found the petals from the barnes in the off side shoulder so neither is going to hold together completely at high vleocity and close range.  As long as it has the energy to enter the chest cavity and destroy the vitals why would it matter if the bullet starts to come apart? 

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:02 AM »
I've killed over 50 deer with SWs, all but one the 200gr and the one loner was a 300gr bonded.

None traveled far (<100 yds) and probably 80-90% bang-flops.  The bonded bullet was a bang-flop but did not look to expand, likely a great elk bullet but too hard for deer.

I've heard good things about Barnes too but I tried them in the 12-gauge version one and had two failures --- one that stopped in the near-side lung and allowed the deer to run a long ways and the other exploded on the surface of the shoulder blade and led to a long, nasty hunt to finish it off.

I think you hear so many negative things because they are so widely used....you know, people with a bad experience tell 9 people on average while those with a good experience tell 2.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
I think you hear so many negative things because they are so widely used....you know, people with a bad experience tell 9 people on average while those with a good experience tell 2.

Bingo

Been using the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet for about 2.5 years.  Have killed 7 or 8 deer and about 15 hogs with that bullet.  With one exception, all kills were bang flops or near bang flops.  That one exception was my fault:  You cannot shoot them in the guts and expect a bang flop. 

Have watched the SST/Shockwave debate for a couple of years.  Some say the bullet fragments and will not penetrate, some say it will not expand at short range and others say it has to be going at the speed of light in order to expand.  None of this is true. 

There are two Shockwave bullets:  The Shockwave and the Bonded Shockwave.  One should not use the Bo
nded Shockwave on deer size animals,  it probably will not expand.  My experience is  with the 250 grain SST/Shockwave.

This 250 grain SST bullet came from the chest cavity of a sow that I shot at a measured 192 yards.  The bullet expanded perfectly and weighs 167 grains.  The powder charge was 90 grains of JSG.  The muzzle velocity of that bullet was not over 1,650 fps.  Bang flopped a buck from that same stand at a distance of just over 170 yards using that same load. 

The 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet works for me and I ain't gonna change.