Author Topic: Am I looking at it wrong ?  (Read 603 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Am I looking at it wrong ?
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
Im thinking about buying a Wheeler scope alignment and lapping kit. I understand it has the two alignment bars to make sure your two rings are properly aligned and to help eliminate the amount of lapping to be done. Then the lapping of course to take out the smaller imperfections. Now then lets say you set your scope in the rings and just snug the top rings and do a spot check on a "poor mans" bore sight looking after removing the bolt and see that you need to adjust a substantial amount of windage which my Leupold scope mount base is equipted to do and I decide to use this adjustment. Didnt I just defeat the purpose of an alighnment and lapping if I had done so first ? Also what I mean is shouldnt I set the scope in the rings after "rough" alignment to check for rough bore sight and then go through alignment/lapping process ?
Clear as mud ???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Am I looking at it wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »
What you SHOULD DO in my opinion is to trash can those silly windage adjustable bases and forget they exist. NEVER EVER again waste your money on them. They are as close to worthless as any gun related product I've ever run across. The ONLY way I'll use them is if they are the ONLY type available for a gun I buy. Long ago I learned a lesson and that is to NEVER AGAIN buy a gun for which that is the only choice.

If ya just gotta have Leupold the only one to own in my opinion is the Dual Dovetail and if it's not available for your gun then don't buy Leupold. Other than the DD by Leupold and Burris which I do use often on Remington Model 700s I use Weaver bases and Burris signature rings. With them there is no lapping and never ever any damage to your scope. Plus if you actually need some adjustment it's readily available by using the offset inserts.

But in response to your question yes you've just undone all the good you did by lapping if you use the windage adjustment feature of them. They are in my opinion the worse abomination ever invented for mounted scopes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »
Thanks Graybeard. Well you dont know how close I came to getting the Burris Signatures rings rather than Leupold. But I had it set in my mind that I need to stay as low with the scope as possible and Burris does not make a low in the signature series...I dont know why. So I opted for the Leupold rings and bases. After doing some more reading and research Ive read thats its not that important to be one size difference in scope ring height, especially when it comes to 100 yards and closer hunting situations. I believe I might just eliminate the extra time, cost, and hassle and go with the Burris.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
Well Ive done more reading...mistake ???  Too many options  ???
I dont know if I agree with the windage bases being a bad idea or not because I dont have a lot of scope mounting experience.
So is it OR is it not a good Idea to keep my rifle scope as low as possible to the rifle ? So what is the real advantage to having my scope as low to the rifle as possible ? I thought it would help me see through it better because every time I look through a scope I always wished it was lower not to mention I thought it helps with lesser degree in point of impact from muzzle to target (if you know what I mean).

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks to all of you that helped. Im going to be using a 4x32 scope and Burris does not offer a low in the Signature Series (I wish they did). Besides that problem I finally found most of my answers in the link below. Yes I do need my scope as low as possible (for me). I found this article that was very helpful to me and I hope it might help someone else.
http://www.riflescopeblog.com/2008/05/scope-mounts-and-mounting.html

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
No it's not really necessary to keep it "as low as possible" it's just bad to have it mounted "too high". What you want is for the center of the scope to be where the center of your eye is when you mount the rifle normally. You don't want to have to go hunting for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:30:45 AM »
 I agree low is good, but you also have to be able to work the action & load a round.
NRA, Veteran