Author Topic: The EOY (2008) Buck  (Read 786 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
The EOY (2008) Buck
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
Yesterday, 12-31-2008, I shot the largest buck I have ever had the privilege to hunt.  He was 160 pounds, approximately 4.5 years old (I will know for sure when the jaw is returned), and 7 points.  Not a "booner" for most folks, but a Florida wall hanger for me as I took him from my own land, just 20 acres, and he is the best I have taken in 16 seasons.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: The EOY (2008) Buck
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:33:33 AM »
Congrats I took a buck many long years ago down at the Coosa WMA that has a rack that looks almost identical to that one. It was on a day when I ran into about the most folks I think I ever have on public land in one day. I made a plaque mount of him.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
thats cool, nothing like being on your own land!

the age really surprises me.  I would have let that one walk thinking it was a youngster...

I need to start carding some of these bucks before I pass on em... ;D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
Just seeing a mature buck (> 3.5 y.o.) while I am on stand on my land has been a long time coming.  It has taken 16 straight seasons to not only SEE but to take just TWO, the previous being a 138# 9-point 5.5 year old.  Nutrition is poor in the 30,000 surrounding acres so body mass and antlers in general are small.

Offline 7magfan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:34:49 AM »
Congrats! Nice buck, I love the coloring in his antlers

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »
Just seeing a mature buck (> 3.5 y.o.) while I am on stand on my land has been a long time coming.  It has taken 16 straight seasons to not only SEE but to take just TWO, the previous being a 138# 9-point 5.5 year old.  Nutrition is poor in the 30,000 surrounding acres so body mass and antlers in general are small.

Are those deer classified for record keeping purposes as the same whitetail we have in KS or TX?  I was wondering if they were a subspecies like some of the smaller deer of the Southwest?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:08 AM »
Nice deer indeed for Florida!  Good job! 

Most folks don't realize that the deer in Fla. and south Ga. are a smallish subset.  I have shot an 8 point fully mature buck some years ago that weighed just over 125#

A deer this size is great.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
You are my hero! You may not remember but we chatted a while, a long while, back about land ownership. My hunting experiences have been guided hunts (hogs and exotics) only because I got into hunting later in life and didn't, don't, know anyone who hunts around here, Southwest FL. I have been looking for properties for about 5 or 6 years now. The nice parcels I see are too far to visit on a regular basis and the close ones are very expensive for what you get and neighboring lands aren't conducive to managing a decent deer population.

Still looking but we'll see. I might have to find a lease in order to get my first whitetail.

Nice job!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist