Author Topic: Fears about factory fitting multiple barrels  (Read 797 times)

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Fears about factory fitting multiple barrels
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:37 AM »
Someone recently wrote about sending away for a new, factory-fitted barrel.
When he got it back, the new barrel fit fine; however, several barrels he already owned, no longer fit the receiver. Does this mean you can only alter a receiver a limited number of times?

Last summer I ordered two new barrels for my Pardner 12 gauge. Now, all three fit fine, and shoot well.

I would to like add a muzzle loader barrel, now. But I worry that when I get it back, my existing three barrels will no longer fit.

Does the factory alter the barrel, or the receiver, to get a good fit. Or both?

I will check with Remington, but first I would like to gather some first hand customer experiences.

Thanks in advance if anyone can speak to this

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Fears about factory fitting multiple barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:10:20 AM »
They fit the barrels to the frame, they don't make changes to the frame except for trigger jobs or if they discover a defective part like a broken latch in which all existing barrels may need to be refitted.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
like quick said, they fit the barrel to the reciver, and dont touch the frame.  i have had 2 frames with 2 barrels each, and the original barrels fit fine after the 2nd barrel fitting.  all my other frames are single barrel frames.
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
Thank you both for your replies

What is the difference between a "frame" and a "receiver?" As I understand it, the receiver is the part that houses the cartridge.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:00:24 AM »
the frame and receiver are the same thing and the terms are used interchangeably when discussing Handi's. The part that houses the cartridge is the chamber end of the barrel. The barrel is attached in various ways to the receiver/frame....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:39:07 AM »
Thank you for the clarification, MSP Retired

Now I can confidently send away for additional barrels for my one existing receiver.

Now that I am addicted, when the economy improves, I will buy a Handi rifle, so I can buy numerous interchangable rifle/shotgun barrels for that as well!

Life is good.