Author Topic: Louis lead remover  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Greenmtnboy66

• Trade Count: (0)
Louis lead remover
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:04:37 AM »
Howdy,
After a few years of shooting only Patch Round ball I got the reloading bug again and am shooting only cast bullets.
Am looking for methods of removing lead out of barrel, cone, etc.. other than steel wool.
Coyote Joe said Louis lead remover is the way but I can't find a dealer.
Any suggeations?
Also any suggestions for other methods?
Thanks all

Offline osceola

Re: Louis lead remover
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »
Liquid Solution:
For really stubborn lead removal try a 50/50 mix of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (the common drug store variety) and white vinegar. Plug the bore, fill it up using a dropper or syringe and let it stand for 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not let it stand for too long.) You may get some foaming so protect the barrel's external finish, as this solution is not kind to bluing. Drain and wipe out the black muck that used to be lead and then immediately clean well with bore cleaner.
Note:
While most people have used this solution without a problem there have been reports of this solution pitting some mild steel barrels. The factors involved in this seem to be the type of steel, the presence of rust in the barrel, and excessively long soak times leading to chemical changes in the solution. I strongly recommend not letting this solution soak more than 2 to 3 minutes.

Do not exceed the 2-3 minute rule, it can ruin a barrel if left for hours.  You can repeat as needed, basically when it stops bubbling it's done. 
Be Safe!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
I use both methods.  Both work.

I picked up 2 LLR's on ebay.  One in .45 and the other in .38; they work well and are fast.  Basically just a brass/bronze screen wire pressed into the bore by an expanded neoprene/rubber cylinder compressed by screw tension.  You COULD make one.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Kamakeloa

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:21:38 AM »
The Lewis lead remover is available from Brownells.

Offline Greenmtnboy66

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »
Thanks,
Went to Brownells and ordered it up

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Chore Boy brand copper scouring pads work.  Just pull a little off and wrap around a jag.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 01:41:18 AM »
Are Chore Boy pads copper or merely very thin copper plating on steel? Pure soft copper somehow sounds too good to be true.

Bronze wool is available from Brownells in three grades. It works great wrapped around an undersized bronze bore brush. I use Blue Wonder or Kroils or both to help dislodge the lead. The bronze wool works great with a short cleaning rod chucked in a cordless drill to spin the cylinder clean.

Ken

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
While I have a LLR, choreboy and steel wool along with numerous chemical "lead removers" I found it best to use a lube and alloy that does not give you leading in the first place.  The use of any 50/50 alox/beeswax lube is the first step. Then use the right alloy for the velocity.  Make sure the bullet fits as best as you can.  Using these methods I have eliminated 99% of leading in my handguns and rifles.  I still use the LLR when I get stupid and shoot commercial cast with the lousy hard wax lube.  A light tumble in Lee Liquid Alox for use at moderated velocity solves the leading problem with most commercial cast bullets as does washing the hard wax lube off and relubing with Javelina.

Larry Gibson

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
Check those Choreboy's with a magnet. If there's any steel there you will know it pronto.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
i have an adobe file on how to make the electronic bore cleaner useing a flashlight- pm your e mail and i'll send it to you.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Greenmtnboy66

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »
While I have a LLR, choreboy and steel wool along with numerous chemical "lead removers" I found it best to use a lube and alloy that does not give you leading in the first place.  The use of any 50/50 alox/beeswax lube is the first step. Then use the right alloy for the velocity.  Make sure the bullet fits as best as you can.  Using these methods I have eliminated 99% of leading in my handguns and rifles.  I still use the LLR when I get stupid and shoot commercial cast with the lousy hard wax lube.  A light tumble in Lee Liquid Alox for use at moderated velocity solves the leading problem with most commercial cast bullets as does washing the hard wax lube off and relubing with Javelina.

Larry Gibson

I shoot a 32 H&R mag by Ruger I cast 20 to 1 tin and use 115 grn cast bullet with liquid Alox with 3.5 grns of Unique and it leads like a mother!!

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »

Larry Gibson

I shoot a 32 H&R mag by Ruger I cast 20 to 1 tin and use 115 grn cast bullet with liquid Alox with 3.5 grns of Unique and it leads like a mother!!

I'd venture there is another problem or two there besides the LLA (assuming Lee's).  I shoot lots of cast bullets lube with LLA and Javelina in my Ruger Single Six and a 10" Contender without any leading what so ever. I shoot a 115 gr cast (WWs + 2% tin) over 4.5 gr Unique with no leading.  I also push them at .32 magnum velocities with Bludot with not leading.  I also shoot thousands of TL314-90-SWCs lubed in LLA in many .30/.30 rifles without any leading.  I'd be looking at something else besides the LLA. What mould? What diameter are you sizing them?  What diameter are the throats of the cylinder? etc.

BTW;  I also shoot many different cast bullets in cartridges from .22 Hornet up through the .375 H&H and 458 calibers.  Also besides the .32 in hand guns I also shoot cast in .32 SWL, .380 ACP, the 9mm luger, .38 Super, .38 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .41 magnum, .44Special, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP. .45 AR and .45 Colt.  I lube all the bullets either with Javelina, another 50/50 alox/beeswax lube or LLA. I do not get leading unless I mess something up.

Larry Gibson