Author Topic: I think I offended my new neighbor?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
I think I offended my new neighbor?
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:24:18 AM »
Was flagged down by two of my neighbors as I drove home. They were in the new neighbors' yard working on a flat tire. They could not get the rim off the car as it had been put on with an impact wrench. Drove down to my shop, loaded up a compressor, the right socket, and my impact wrench.
When I got back, they had the tire off, but thanked me anyway. A fat female pit bull dog came out to meet me in the yard. I asked if it was theirs and they said yes. I told them I had small dogs on my place, and no tolerance for pit bulls of any configuration on my property.
I apologized for my attitude toward their dog but, advised them it would not survive a visit to my place. They said they used to feel that way until they got one. I told them, I still felt that way, that I wanted no problems with my neighbors but, they had been made aware of my rules on my place regarding pit bulls.
I have never figured why anyone would want one of the damn things in a neighborhood with small kids. I have seen MANY A BAD SITUATION arise from the family pit waking up one day with a different attitude.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: I think I offended my new neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »

About four years ago the people across the street from my folks had 2 pit bulls that kept "getting loose"- after a few too many phone calls to the county sheriff they came out and took care of the them- with buckshot.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
In my 20 years of law enforcement, I can honestly say that I do not remember how many pit bulldogs I have had to shoot. AND, like these folks the owners always said: He never done that before. I have a Jack Russell that will get on anything, but even he is no match for a pit bulldog. I keep him fenced on my half acre because of his attitude, and it cost a small fortune to fence it with chain link, but he keeps the field mice, and copperheads killed out, and anything or anyone else silly enough to crawl over the fence (gates are locked).
My wife has a four pound poodle that is 14 years old and he has to go in the front yard because of our Jack Russell. If the neighbors up the road a hundred yards or so let their pit out, this old dog would have no chance.
It may seem harsh, and that was a poor start with a new neighbor, I was trying to help, but it is like throwing a loaded gun out into the street, and hoping a kid doesn't find it first. A kid is no match for a pit bulldog either. I have seen that too many times too.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
I had a friend who got one the dog rip off his baby brother head.

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »
DEE. I share your distrust of pit bulls, won't allow one around here either. Too many maimings and killings from that breed. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »
   i share your views on pits. 

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
KEEP THE GUN LOADED. ;D

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:50 AM »
Please just make sure we are talking about Pits and not Bulldogs.  I raised "English" Bulldogs for years and can't tell you the number of people that thought the dogs were Pits.  These are two different breeds and totally different in temperment.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline ALWAYSSHOOTINSOMETHING

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
   Identical situation on my homestead, except, it was three Rotts when we first moved in. Live on a small farm, and first day of school for the boys 11 years ago, and was surprised to see two of them on my front porch. The guy next door was pretty receiving about my desires, but, the dingbat wife, was less receptive. So whenever I was out, I had a 1911 strapped on, and made myself perfectly clear, their dogs wouldn't be given a second chance to come a charging. They got the message, and on the next weekend they put up the nicest, longest, pig fence between us you have ever seen!  ;D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
I tend too agree with dee.
If you advise someone of your fears and desires a good neighbor will try and abide by the desires.
The ones that don't have been advised and they bear the burden.
Rott's and Pitt's don't abide well in neigborhoods and rarely in the country, unless penned.
The sad part is many of those who own them are the ones they attack.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
+1 on the pit bulls. I used to live next door to some people who had a pit bull and a German Shepard.
They seemed to get along fine. Fortunately they were in a fenced yard. About 8 months after we moved
in I heard a commotion and people yelling in our neighbors yard. I looked out my front door to see that
damn pit bull with his jaws locked around that poor German Shepard's neck! By the time they could get
them separated that German Shepard was dead. The damn dog just snapped and killed the other one.
I couldn't help but think if the same thing could have happened to some young kid trying to play with
that pit bull. Maybe pulling his tail or something. Maybe not doing anything at all and the dog would
just attack. I love dogs, but not dogs like that or rottweilers or dobermans. They might be good for
guarding a junkyard or something, but there is no way I would want to have one as a pet. I'll take
a hunting dog any day. Springer, lab, German shorthair, golden, weimerauner. Now those dogs are
great with kids and are great family dogs. Not some unstable junkyard attack dog like a pit bull.

Robert

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
There are actually two different dogs called generically pitbulls. One is the most commonly seen pitbull TERRIER and it is a terror. The other is the American Pit Bulldog. The latter is ALWAYS completely white in color but on rare occasions might have a black spot usually only a single one. They are actually quite mild mannered with people but like most pitbulls and other bulldogs are not that friendly to other dogs or cats that invade their territory. They don't seem to be bad tho out of their home range just on it that they are bad news to others. I've never known of one to bother people. Sure different thant he normal pitbull terriers you run across.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
The scariest thing about attack dogs like pitbulls (staffordshire terriers) is that once they bite and taste blood, their jaws lock and don't release.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
We had a very aggressive pit bull in my neighborhood that died mysteriously. Police said that they suspected poison and that was about the end of their investigation.

A sponge soaked in bacon grease seams to fill them up permanently.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Guess I'm not as tolerant as some. I allow no dogs on my property except my dad's and my own. I keep my dogs at home or leashed and I expect my neighbors to do the same. It's not only pits and rots that can snap. I once had a black lad that got out and killed one of my neighbor's German Shepherds

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I got in a bunch of trouble a few years back when I shot a stray pitbull that kept wondering on my property and chasing my goats.  Nobody wanted to claim it when I called the surrounding farms.  Animal control was no help either, so I shot the animal in the head with a .357 magnum.  I must have pulled the shot because the animal was not killed immediately.  Instead, it ran and made such a howling, I hope I never hear an animal make that noise again.  The neighbors found it with half the side of it's head blown off.  The neighbors quickly called the sheriff and I spent two days talking my way out of an animal cruelty case.  I learned to use buck shot or a high powered rifle after that. Just be careful, if you shoot it make sure you put it down quickly and as quietly as possible.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
Shoot.

Shovel.

Shut-up.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
Do not understand why someone would want such a mean dog. Must make themselves feel cool.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »
well at least you all know about gun and not much about dogs
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Brett

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Don't lump Rotties and Dobermans into the same category as Pit Bulls.  My brother has owned several of both and they were all wonderful family pets.  The Dobermans were especially patient with my brother's very active boys when they were youngsters.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
Shoot.

Shovel.

Shut-up.

This is the best advice you can ask for in this sort of matter. When asked if you have any information concerning the where abouts of the dog just smile and be neighborly.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
Foggy-
I Do know a little about dogs.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
I would be offended If you pulled in my drive and threatened to shoot my boxer.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
My Great Dane would probably be offended too!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Responsible pet owners keep their dogs up, or off their neighbor's property.  Problems arising from loose pets are the fault of the owner.  In my mind, its that simple.  I love animals, but will not take a chance on my family, especially my grandchildren being injured by someone else's animal.  If its big enough to cause real harm, keep it at home, or it might not come home.

I had a dog get out one time, and it was shot on a neighbor's property while chasing his stock.  He brought it to me, and told me what happened.  I asked him how much I owed him for the ammo.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
Dee-
I think youre spot-on with most of your opinions, but you may have gotten off on the wrong foot on this one. Has the dog(s) gone into your yard or threatened you? As a former LEO I would think you would be able to tell the difference between a dog trained to protect a drug dealin POS and a dog that is coming out to greet his new neighbor.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 05:05:31 PM »
Mirage
My comment was not pointed at you. if someone came on my place and basicly threated my  Bull Dog that done noting to him He would be getting a visit form the local what ever passes for law enforcement up there.  that is a threat and I take threats serious.  It was just wrong to start off in that tone. Life goes on   
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »
My dogs don't go past halfway down my drive unless I let them. I have never let them! Pity the poor soul that provokes that greeting!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
Pit Bulls, Rotties, and Dobermans, I've seen all three crack and go ballistic seriously hurting someone.  Owners could not believe it said the injured person must have teased the poor dog that they would never hurt a fly.  Yea, right.  I to have the same policy, if it comes on my property, shoot, shovel, shut-up.  To date three Huskies, one Pitbull, one Pit Lab mix, one Boxer, one German Shepard, and one Mongral.  They all made the same mistake, they came into my yard and growled at me. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »
No nasty dogs for me either.  I have seen the terrible results of children and dogs that went nuts several times and a pit bull's capacity for destruction is way too much.  I won't own a dog that anyone needs to fear.  Maybe my years of being a newspaper boy and "Oh, he won't bite" convinced me.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.