Author Topic: I think I offended my new neighbor?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: I think I offended my new neighbor?
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
Well you just never know here. It's about a 325 lb boar I caught sleepin under a cedar in a cedar break. Kinda slipped up on him. I didn't wake him up though. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »
Ya know, out of 85 replies, I don't think any of us disagree on the issue. Is this some sort of record, or just common sense and common ground? ;)

I was thinking the same thing about the gout thread, with just a few replies - unusually unanimous.  I think all three answers are right - a record, common sense, and common ground.  I think you discovered the key with this one Dee. :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2009, 04:06:19 AM »
guess folks just don't like bad dogs
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:29 AM »
Well, I'm in my 60s and have been around or owned many dogs during my life.  Not too long ago one of my neighbors took in a pit bull.  I made it quite clear to the pit bull owner my negative opinion of this breed and that it would have a serious problem if I ever found it in my yard.  Seems some of my other neighbors voiced the same thing to this owner and he got rid of it. 

Another breed I have a problem trusting are Chows.  When I was a kid, there must have been 20 dogs owned by the people living along our block and the only one we worried about was a chow.  Mean dog, that on occassion would get out of its fenced back yard and attack any other dog or cat that was out.  It also would act aggressively to any kid too, often giving chase to us.  But the experience I had years later when living in an apartment, concerning 2 chows, would fix my distrust of this breed.  Young couple next door in the apartment complex had two full grown chows, male and female, that they had acquired as pups.  The chows were well trained and obediant to commands.  I owned a lapsa alpso at the time and these chows got along great with my dog, often playing with each other whenever the dogs were together outside. One day, I had a phone call from the woman with the chows, all she said was "to please come to my apartment right now, I have a serious problem, the door is unlocked"  She was speaking in a whisper on the phone, but I could detect the fear in her voice.  Not knowing what to expect, I grabbed a baseball bat I had and went next door to find the chows had frightened her so bad, she was standing on their kitchen table.  The dogs were sitting on the floor next to the table growling at her.  Yikes!   The chows were so intent on her, they ignored me and I was able to walk into another room, call the dogs to me and shut them in it.  The woman was quite shaken by the dogs turning on her and she could offer no explanation for it.  Neither her or her husband had ever had any such problem with their chows before.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »
chows are EVEN worse than pits.  chows, pits, and shar pei's are dogs that i will not ever trust or turn my back on.  of the three, pits are the least evil. 

Offline Dee

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
Funny you should mention Chows. I too have never had any use for the Chow-Chow. I haven't shot as many of them as I have Pits, but I have shot a few. I answered a call on one, and accidently cornered him in a railroad dock. Neither one of us had and escape route and he was showing fight. The up side of it, was he showed me I needed to get rid of the 9mm I was carrying, and get a real gun. Three good hits before he went down with a head shot.
Many breeders and vets recommend that the owner put the Chow down if they don't want it anymore. It seldom adjusts to a new family.
I had a Lt. that owned one and the dog bit him several times for no apparent reason. Now this particular Lt. I too would have bit, had I been a dog, but the dog needed putting down. He was extremely unpredictable.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
I really want to speak my mind, but then I would spoil Dee's new record at #95.
Dogs are mans best friend- you can have the best day ever, or the worst day ever, they will still greet you like you've been gone for 6 months when you step in the door. Chow's, Rotts, G.Shepards, Pitts,Dobermans, Boxers,Labs,collies,poodles, shiiitzuuuus, It doesn't matter the breed, IT MATTERS THE OWNER. If you can manage your dog-I don't care what breed it is, If you can't, and it is agressive to me, I will do whatever it takes to protect myself. I rescued a golden once-ooooooh how cute-It bit me-I broke its neck. I'M not the dog whisperer, but I can handle a dog.

Offline Dee

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:52 AM »
mirage1988, lots of people can handle dogs. I was a Police K-9 trainer. We didn't buy trained dogs, we screened pups and started from scratch. In 1995 I made the Nationals at Ft. Lauderdale Fl. with a K-9 I bought as an eleven month old pup.
The dog was good for two reasons. # 1 I knew what I was doing and was consistent in my training techniques. BUT!
That DOG WAS GOOD, because of breeding. He came from good stock. REGARDLESS of breed, a dog is what it is much because of WHAT IT IS.
A pit, chow, German Shepherd, Malinois, or Rotty for that matter, IS WHAT IT IS because that is what it is.
I too can handle dogs, HOWEVER, I cannot completely over come in-bred instinct in many cases. I can only use that instinct to my advantage, if there is a use for it.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
  The last one shot and killed around here was wandering around an elementary school and attacked a child's parent. Cop took care of business but pits and kids definately don't mix.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »
with most breeds the majority falls on the owner.   chows, shar pei's, and pits are the exception.  it doesnt matter the bloodline or the owner, they can not be trusted.  sooner or later, bad things are gonna happen.
   the other breeds mirage mentions can be great if close attention is paid to bloodlines, personality, and the right owner.  but they can be disasters waiting to happen if from bad blood or if there are bad owners. 

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Dee,
We can go around and around about this, but we both agree on the same thing, SOME DOG BREEDS ARE NOT FIT TO BE LOOSE AROUND HUMANS. I agree with you on that topic. There are other breeds that can go either way, because of their bloodlines, depending on their training.

Dogs That should be caged, and chained at all times:
-Wolves, or Wolf mixes
-Pit bulls, pit bull mixes, and any, and all variants
-Chows
-Eastern German Shepards (a favorite among police departments)

Dogs that need the right owner:
-Rotweiler
-Doberman
-German Shepard (western)
-Great Dane
-Bull Mastiff
-Boxer
These Breeds generally look intimidating but they aren't normally bred for the killer instinct as the dogs in the first group. Some people might think the rot and the doberman should be in the first group too, but that hasn't been my experience with the dogs that i've been around. I have two dogs currently as pets, a great dane and a boxer.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
The Boxer will have pups in the middle of February Dee,
Maybe you need a puppy so you lighten up a little?
J/K
-Marcus
(I'll post pics if anyone wants)