Author Topic: Success with .410 barrel FINALLY but need advise.  (Read 727 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Success with .410 barrel FINALLY but need advise.
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
I have finally got the .410 barrel to shoot worth a darn! It's a VersaPak. The .22lr barrel has always been ok but the .410 always shot very high (even though it has the tallest bead I've ever seen on a shotgun) and the pattern was the worst I've ever seen. I looked down the barrel and saw massive amounts of tooling marks. I've been honing the bore being carefull not to over do it in the chamber and choke. I've used a 3/8" hardwood dowel slit on one end with various grades of steel wool positioned in the slit. Chuck the other end in a drill and use lot's of oil. I'd hone some and then clean the barrel and head to the range. After a year of tinkering with this SOB I've finally got the POI down and excellent patterns. Even with 3" shells. Also shoots slugs fairly well now. The entire bore is mirror smooth now. Now my new problem- I never noticed it until yesterday but it may of been there all along. When the action is opened the .410 barrel has a little side to side slop in it. Not a large amount of slop but there is some. It locks up solid, just a little slop when open. The .22 barrel is fine when open and closed. I know someone with both a 20 and 12 gauge from the late 70's and both are sloppy when opened but lockup is solid and he shoots the snot out of them. Do I worry about it and try to shim it or shoot it until the lockup gets loose?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Success with .410 barrel FINALLY but need advise.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »
That is not a problem as long as it is tight when closed with no forearm on and it shoots well. You can try to play with it if you want but the only reason will be to please you, not for the sake of the .410....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:40:26 AM »
Andy's right!  If it shoots well for you, then don't worry about the loose when its open.  Take it from me
"Tinkeritis" will get ya every time. ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:13:18 AM »
Well I thought I'd ask. I can't tinker with the plastic spacer like most folks because the stock set is a Choate synthetic. I know you can place shims between the spacer and wood to get the fit you need. But like I said that does not apply to me. Heck I'm just happy the darn thing (.410) is finally fixed. I've got to say I have NEVER seen a shotgun bore that was that 'fubared'. I guess NEF drilled the bore, reamed the chamber and choke and never finished the job from there. At 20 yards (yes I know you pattern shotguns at 30 yards but this is a .410 and I consider 30 yards the max range for most .410's) I get a very usable and relatively tight pattern with no real holes or gaps using 4's and 6's. Heck I'm thrilled!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:38:25 AM »
Well your happy and it shoots great, thats what matters, and you had a project for the last year to keep you off the streets and out of trouble. By the way, I hope you knew you could have sent it back to the factory for a free fix right? If you were the first owner (perhaps not even that) you could have asked for a "call tag" and they would have paid for all the shipping as well. I do understand wanting to fix ("tinker" ala Cookiemann) it yourself. Many of us here like to do that as well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
My VersaPac .410 barrel also looks like it was reamed by a far-sighted beaver with its tail on fire.  Fortunately it patterns very well.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
Airsporter said-

"reamed by a far-sighted beaver with its tail on fire"

Now that's FUNNY!

Yes I could of sent it back BUT I've slowly come to appreciate these firearms for what they are. Basically a DIY rifle/shotgun. Heck I feel a sense of accomplishment that I've fixed it! A lot of folks gripe about how "this does not work" or "this is broke" or "this don't fit right" or what have you. Instead of griping just fix the issue and move on.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 01:46:43 AM »
I like your thinking Jim....<><....:)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
dont ya love it when a plan comes togather