Author Topic: Ideas on opening a retail hunting store  (Read 2454 times)

Offline SM Outdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
Ideas on opening a retail hunting store
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:44:27 AM »
I have been doing leg work on opening a 1100 sq ft store front that will sell guns, ammo, bows, archery supplies & general hunting related supplies. I hope to open by this August and would love some input as to what a broad spectrum of people would like to see for product in an a small local shop. Please bear in mind that I want a small town personal feel with a significant but not overwhelming product assortment. I have relied on my experience so far, and would love to know what sportsman that favor different types of game hunting would like to see. I would appreciate feedback from whitetail deer hunters, bird (Turkey, Pheasant, Goose & Duck) hunters, varmint (coyote & Woodchuck) hunters, & bear hunters. For my local area these are the main game species unless traveling out of state. I know what I like but I am not my potential customer. I have always wanted a place like this to go to and no one else will do it so, I am.
I appreciate your time,
Shane
Blessed be the lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war,
and my fingers to fight.
Psalm 144:1

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ideas on opening a retail hunting store
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:34:02 AM »
It will require DEEP POCKETS to try and stock a store with all the things you will be requested to have, I would check into reloading as I see it as a increasing area of interest, there will be more money for you inthe used gun market than NEW but you will need some new models just to get their interest in to the trading of old for new, establish yourself with several wholesalers and start out by ordering new guns for the customers instead of tying up you cash to just sit in the racks and being handled and damaged by lookie lou"s, as far as ammo goes stock the ammo 1 st. that is mainly used for hunting in your area, you can always add the others as needed, and dont forget to get enough INSURANCE to cover you and your property, If you try to stock everything everyone wants you will need alot more room than 1100 feet to start, do you have gunsmithing or general knowledge of gun repair?  If not make contact with a local gunsmith to do your repairs on your used guns at a reduced rate if possible, maintain EXCELLENT records for the ATF as one audit and they find any errors can ruin you finacially.  Any other questions just ask.  HTH   Jim

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
Jim,
With the administrative portion of the business I am good.
I do have a well respected licenced gunsmith in my immediate family that will be supporting my customers as well as a similar bow tech.
I am a reloader myself so I plan on venturing down that path. (I thought about offering reloads on request).
I agree with you that used guns are better to inventory than new, not only for cost but also as a sportsman I always favored heritage over shine.
I dable in all of the local game but I am not what I would consider an "expert" outside of deer and Yotes, and had thought about a small section (maybe a 4'-6' gondola) of floor space for each of my areas' game animals with more space to the big 3 of our area (Deer, Turkey & Pheasant).
Many places that I have shopped over the years offer Deer hunting primary supplies and not much else, then travel 35 minutes to a big box to get my other stuff. I am aiming for a happy medium.
Thanks for your input!
and my fingers to fight.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:32 AM »
I also agree with the reloading.
Just my opinion as you asked I think I would lean toward things
to stock that walmart and these type stores don't carry.

also they are in a big ram to hurry and put the hunting items away for other stuff.

example: I have the simple stretch on shell holders that goes on the butstock
and they hold 9 rifle shells.In later november we tried walmart, dunhams,kmart and all over to find one for the nephew for part of his christmas no luck.
just simple things like that you would think ever one would have but we could not find one.

rifle slings,pistol holsers,reloading this may cost a small fortune,maybe start with powder,primmers,and small hand tools like primmer pocket cleaner tools etc to start ??? I have not added any thing up but to carry all the bullets made by just
hornady,sierra,speer would be a bunch of money.
mounts and rings would be a great plus to handle in your store.

If you offer reloads to the average public dumb a$$ ya better make sure you have good insurance as we all know some idiot will buy full power 45-70 and shoot them in a old trapdoor or something,I would think that one overgood ???
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:02:34 AM »
Kurt,
I like your thoughts, keep 'em coming.
I would not be comfortable marketing custom ammo to the general public for the very reasons you said, rather maybe specific reloads for good customers.
As far as reloading supplies, I started out with Hornady and have only ever used there products (save the time I used Nosler for a trip out west). I have always heard great things about the other brands, maybe start with what I know well and branch out.
I really appreciate your comments on the mounts and rings, that has always been an issue finding the proper setup. In the past I always end up having to go online to a place like Midway.

Shane
and my fingers to fight.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
Start with a huge fortune so that when you're done you'll still have a small fortune left. ;)

Just joshing Shane :) Best of luck to you. Get it done and if it's not too far off my beaten path, I'll be one of your faithful customers. Or maybe once you get going really well, you could go internet and mail order like Mid-South or Midway, then folks like myself could just shop from our computers.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:34 AM »
Have you considered setting up a web site based survey then send out a mass mailing with the web address to your potential market area? There would be some investment but that way you would get better info on your regional needs and the demand for your business. The problem with most businesses is they don't address these issues BEFORE they open their doors.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:02:49 AM »
Stay away from the custom reloading or one day that "good customer" could be the plaintiff and you the defendant. I'm not sure you can find a company to insure that anyway for an operation of your size and they will be out of the picture if you go it on your own.  Also, because you want to offer gun and bow repair services, you may want to use them as independant contractors or on a referral basis or make sure you are thoroughly insured. I would vote for referrals with a drop-off, pick-up service only, checks written to the individual doing the repairs.
Start an online store if for no other reason than to keep inventory turning and to dump slow sellers. Use a cheap e-mail company like Constant Contact or others to create an e-mail list and build loyalty. FWIW
Good Luck,
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
My suggestions is more about the store itself.  Try to avoid becoming a "hangout".  I'm sure you've been to the type of store I'm talking about.  The guy behind the counter has been talking to a couple of over weight big talkin' locals all morning and when you walk in you immediately feel out of place.  There are handful of gun store around here I won't go in because of that exact problem.  The service sucks and I feel like I don't belong in the store because I'm not fat enough, and spend too much time actually hunting and not enough time talking about it. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
Just put all the money under your matress and run from the idea.  In 5 years you will be much happier and have all of your money.  This is a very bad time in history to be starting something new, take a suggestion from an old guy and just dig in, things have a long ways to go and it is all down.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
Shane;
I think it might be a tough business to be in, sorry to say. I worked part time for a couple of years at a Sportsman's Warehouse, in the hunting department. It was a new store, and in setting it up, the amount of inventory was staggering...rifles/shotguns coming in like stacked cordword, by the dozens and dozens ( hundreds!). Handguns by the pallet-load. Ammo,gun cases, supplies by the semi-truck load. I simply cannot see how a small shop can compete against such a store, or a Wallmart, Big 5, Joe's, Gander Mt., Cabella's, Bi-Mart., etc., etc.
BUT, having said that, there is a small gun shop near where I live ( close to the SWH, Big 5, Wally, and a soon-to-be Joes) that has been in business for a LONG time. Not a lot of new inventory, but he does deal in used guns, something that most of the big stores do not do. He advertises in local papers about buying used guns, and he goes to estate auctions to buy weapons. With the aging and passing on of the "Greatest Generation" there are many folks desiring to sell guns ( tougher laws also provide motive ). So that may be a way to go. I think his shop is no more then 1000 Sq.Feet. I do not hang out there, but I have been in there several times when older folks come in with numerous guns they want/need to sell..just a few good deals a month would keep you going.
I agree with other posters about not doing custom reloading...simply too much liability!! The first customer who shoots one of your rounds through a weapon with an obstructed barrel, though entirely not your fault, will break you in lawyer fee's!! There are enough commercial ( high volume, big $$) reloaders to fill that niche, maybe just stock their ammo.
Also, I think alot depends on your location..competition..population..etc. I think a nearby military base would be a very big plus, lots of guys in the right age group, disposible income, then being transferred and needing to sell.
Good luck on it!!
Mark

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
I think you may be filling a much needed void. If it doesnt break you. I havent bought anything from walmart in a couple years. & I try to avoid stores like Gander or Bass pro, Cause most of there stuff is made in other countries. I would love to see a store with more Made in USA products. To be honest I dont know if thats possible. But I have decided a couple years back. to pay 25% more for USA products if I need something. Good luck
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 06:16:30 AM »
There is a market in most places for such a store IF and boy is it a BIG IF you can find the proper niche and if you have the money to make it go. Most new businesses fail within the first year. Unless you have enough financial backing to go a full year without taking one red cent from the business to be able to plow all revenue back into it for a year then chances are you will fail within a year. If you can do that and if you can find the right mix of merchandise to carry you'll likely make it.

Word of mouth advertising is likely the very best but takes some time to get moving so you will have to find the right mix of advertising as well to bring those initial customers to you until word of mouth starts working for you.

I agree with the folks who say you cannot compete with the big box stores so don't try. Don't stock what they stock to the extent you can avoid it. Price sells and if you can't match or beat their price then you'd do better carrying what they don't. Used guns is one good example of what most don't and you could. Do special orders for folks for those you don't stock at reasonable profit to you. You might need to get funds in advance or at least a hefty down payment on it to make sure they don't leave you hanging with it after you order. Do shipments and accept guns they buy over the internet at reasonable fees which most big box stores won't. It doesn't take that much of your time and can be a nice supplement to income.

Treat folks fairly and at all times deal honestly with them. Don't screw them over or you're out of business for sure and quickly. Build a reputation for honesty and fair play. If someone asks you a question and you don't know the answer don't BS them just admit you don't know.

Picking the right inventory to carry is gonna be a key and is another factor that seems to kill too many stores. Around here I've seen it folks open a new store of the sort you are looking at and then buy all sorts of the wrong merchandise and are stuck with it in inventory for years before they can move it if they ever do. I sure can't tell you what is right or wrong but if you make the wrong decisions early on and stock up heavily in what won't sell you'll be lucky to survive it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »
Sorry was not ignoring ya'll just had a couple busy days getting some items addressed, please accept my appreciation for the feedback &

Skunk - Thanks for the smile and wishes

Dakota - Thats an interesting Idea, I am looking into that possibility

Hunt - No custom ammo - agreed (Idealist idea realist shot down)

Duk - whats wrong with us fat talkers  :) just kiddin'

Gat - I agree with most all you mention. The market location where we are has no large city within 25 miles. A Dicks is about 15 miles away but the next big box is 45 min+ after that.

Burnt - the marketing firm I used to complete due diligence for the territory provided me with that same feedback. enough demand and not so much supply due to the rural proximity. There are only 2 shops within the 2 counties I border and 1 is a well liked local the other has an older - short timer that is more interested in closing early than gaining market share.

Graybeard - Wise advise and I respect the insight, BTW only been on the sight for a week or two now and love it!!!

and my fingers to fight.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
I would offer the old guy some money for his shop, the best you can hope for is a third of the business they share, it would be far better to have half of what they share, then you can work on getting the other half from your competition.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
Ask your banker friends about a line of credit.  That may be the closer.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
I've always wanted to have a gun/hunting shop but with a separate "hang out" area.  Don't need all that baggage at the counter but a separate area with chairs, tables and tv with the outdoor channel on it would be cool.  Maybe some day I'll hit the lottery and be able to support such a venture.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:05 AM »
I Agree with grey beard. Customer service is a big issue. Go to gander moutian and you will stand there forever and get treated as a customer not a friend. Every one like to feel special. So hospitality is very important. As far as word of mouth advertising its good. But it all depends on the size of your town/city. The internet is a wonderfull idea as most people shop online as opposed to getting off thier butts and going somewere. The buisness im in is about as far from guns as you can get. SO in that aspect i dont know the rules of Custom loads. This could work if you are able to develop a waiver of some sort giving you know liability. A buy at your own risk if you will.(I wouldnt advertise it as that however.) I am a part of a big buisness which is over a 100 years old. (family ran but we account for 98% of the buisness in the US for what we do). And are bigest advertinsing is the internet. Also word of mouth is big because they say every is 1 person away from any one. Sorry I cant offer advice on game and products. But I would say specialize in used Guns, which will be used for hunting and showcase alike. If you do decide to go through with this i wish you the best of luck. I would come and shop there but im in OH be a hell of a drive.

LOL didnt realize how old this thread is. Until after the fact.

****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
Old but still active,
I check it every day or so, I have changed some minor aspects of my pro forma as I go based on some good feedback received.
and my fingers to fight.

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
Ok good to know if i can think of anything i will post it here. Keep us updated as well as to how everything is comming along.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
Ok good to know if i can think of anything i will post it here. Keep us updated as well as to how everything is comming along.
At the moment I am doing 2 things at once, Negotiating a buyout with an existing shop (still a ways apart) and searching for a location should I need to start from the ground up. I am hopeful I can negotiate a fair purchase price for the exsisting location since it has a customer base(albeit not a huge one).
and my fingers to fight.

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »
best of luck to you I hope you get it at a fair price because that would be easier on your pockets:). Takes a while for stuff like that I know. even longer to build from the ground up. And well time is MONEY.

Offline Oldshooter

• GBO subscriber and supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. I wish you all the success.

Customer Service, Customer service, Customer service, but of course only for the skinny ones!

A good line of Safes would be a good idea! fireresistant, and heavy!

Optics and scopes for us old fat shooters!

Carry  some good sturdy clothing! And keep the high dollar shooters in glass so only serious buyers touch'em.

And by all  means dont allow any of us fatties in there! just let the skinny shoppers stay and talk! What in the hell was that all about!  ???

“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »
I agree about not making it a hang out/barber shop.  Don't keep chairs in there.

I would agree with most everything already mentioned and add this.  If you're going to do it, keep in mind that internet shopping is the future.  Advertise FFL transfers for reasonable prices ($20 or less).  There are a lot of stores in my town missing out on business because they want to charge $50 to $100 for an FFL transfer.

People are going to shop online, if you're not going to be a part of it you've just limited your companies potential.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 08:55:07 AM »
Anything happened on this idea?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:34 AM »
Snacks,soda, candy bars, microwave sandwitches. You will have a lot of talkers and gaukers. The small sales are the easiest.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »
I guess he got all the info he wanted from us and left. He's not logged in since April 27, 2009. He started a poll for a new forum then by the time it got the necessary votes to be set up he had left and wasn't here to moderate or even participate in it.

I suspect he was here only to get info needed in regard the business venture and once he got it he left.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
Well he sure picked the right time to open a gun store, hopefully that surge helped him out if he could get the products to sell.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
i  had discussed  a store merger with another

we  contemplated  a back room  with  a reloading press and manuals....
offer  lockers for  rent   to  store  what  they bought  and used on the press

a  hang out that wouldnt interfere with business

since  he  is gone ....any one hear  if  that sorta thing is done anywhere
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
I guess he got all the info he wanted from us and left. He's not logged in since April 27, 2009. He started a poll for a new forum then by the time it got the necessary votes to be set up he had left and wasn't here to moderate or even participate in it.

I suspect he was here only to get info needed in regard the business venture and once he got it he left.

No I am around. Just have not been logged in. Unfortunatley I went through a divorce in mid April and have had limited time here.
The store has been doing OK all things considered........
and my fingers to fight.