Author Topic: 9mm...anyone carry one?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline blacknwhite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
9mm...anyone carry one?
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
Does anyone carry a 9mm anymore? It seems that everyone talks about larger guns. Do they just not have enough stopping power? I tend to like the ones I have shot because of the light recoil and cheap ammo.

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 9mm...anyone carry one?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I carry a Kahr CW9 a lot. I have others that I carry, also, but it is in the rotation. In my estimation, nothing wrong with a 9mm.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
I have a Kel-Tec P-11 (10+1 of 9mm in a small 14oz package) on order to compliment my S&W M60 in .38spl.

Sure a service sized .45 is better, especially if you are 6 foot plus, 200lbs or so and can get away with wearing baggy cloths and untucked shirts all the time.  But if you're 5' 7", 160lbs and dress professionally that's just not all too feasible.  You're far better off carrying a nine than no gun at all, and you're more likely to carry a liter, smaller, more easily concealable gun than a big heavy one.

The 9mm Parabellum is no slouch when it comes to performance especially in today's loadings with modern hollow point bullets instead of military ball ammo . Remember, a goodly amount of the world's military and police still carry nines today. IMO 9mm pistols offer the best power to size/weight ratio of any I can think of.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:42 PM »
The major concern with a 9mm is over penetration and lack of whallop. (I like that word "whallop"  ;) 8) :-*).
That said there are a lot of good things about them.
I would not feel uneasy with one.
I might suggest a .38 super or a 9x23, especially the 9x23.
I tend too stay with a .45 but if we run into one another there is no telling which one I will have.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:20 AM »
I carry a 9mm sig 239 almost everyday!!   If it isnt the sig it will be a 9 of some other brand I own, have all the others but I carry all day everyday and have found that the others are noticed by the end of the day, I have been carrying since the trouble in 1967 in Detroit and NEVER had anyone volenteer to stand in front of me and say take your best shot I can take a couple of 9s.   Jim

Offline fedor

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »
I almost always carry a Glock 19 with Winchester law enforcement 127 grain +p+ bullets.  They are very accurate and deadly.  My cousin has shot several deer with these bullets and they work fine.  All go through and the deer run some 30 to 50 yards on average.  Speer gold dot 124 grain are also great bullets for a 9mm.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
I usually carry a 45, either a XD or 1911, but I occasionally carry my Sig P228 in the summer time. Loaded with good bullets it will work fine.

Offline RBishop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
Kimber 9MM Aegis II carried daily. Fitted mine with Alumagrip tactical thin grips. Its a great little carry gun.

Offline CaptainJack

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »
P89 in the winter an a PF-9 in the summer.

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
XD 9 subcompact is with me ALL of the time.   Loaded with Hydra Shocks, it is ENOUGH!  IMHO

Conceals easily and is very comforting to have.   No one has noticed any prints as I use a ISWB behind the waist.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »
Must be a dinosaur.  When I carry a 9 it's either a SW3914 or a HP.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline funshooter2

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Another vote for the PF-9. I carry it most of the time except real hot days, then it's a P3AT. Sometimes a snubbie. The snubbie and 9 use 124-135gr GD or HydraShock (until my current supply runs out).

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
I was real upset when uncle took my 1911 and gave me a 9mm. never really got over it. thought it was a bad trade then and still do.I realize you can get 15 round 9mm mags in a pistol but if you dont hit it with 7 rds your just making noise.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
I have no use for a 9mm.I prefer my Sig P220 45acp or   S&W  Model 19  357 mag with 6 inch barrel,th,tt,ts,tg it was specially tuned by a master gunsmith and is very accurate.

Offline schnarrgj

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
Yes I carry a 9mm. Also a 380 or a 9 Mak. What matters most in any situation is shot placement. My wife carries a Bersa thunder 380 and can put the bullet where she wants it. That is what matters. If you can shoot the larger calibers and are willing to train to shoot them well, fine. The ammo costs more and they are harder to learn to shoot. I opt for the smaller caliber where I can practice more, enjoy shooting it, and become very proficient.

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
Yes I carry a 9mm. Also a 380 or a 9 Mak. What matters most in any situation is shot placement. My wife carries a Bersa thunder 380 and can put the bullet where she wants it. That is what matters. If you can shoot the larger calibers and are willing to train to shoot them well, fine. The ammo costs more and they are harder to learn to shoot. I opt for the smaller caliber where I can practice more, enjoy shooting it, and become very proficient.
I carry a Kahr k9 love that gun. Also a Ruger Sp101 in 32H&R MAG. I have also packed a Bond Arms Derringer In 410 000buck ;D ;D

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
Glock 19 for 9 months and S & W 340 alum/titanium .38 special revolver in the summer. Even a .22 in your pocket has more knock down power than a .44 mag at home.
Ed Panzella

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »
If you look at the book street stoppers.
The guy who wrote the book took real world shooting that were hits in the chest and figured out what each brand and design of bullet actually did to stop the fight. 
9mm ball, 45 ACP ball and 32 ACP silvertips all were in the low 60 %  Once you started to get into the soft and hollow point designs the 9 and the 45 still runn neck and neck for bullet design with the 45 being only a few percentages over the 9. 
The author looked at how many rounds it took to stop the fight.  the statistics may be more in line with the 9mm being tied evenly with the 45 because the 9 is easier to to double tap with and a second shot is thrown quickly while it takes a little more time for the gun to recover from the 45 shot and the effects may already be seen.
I do not think that one is better than the other.  Any handgun is a poor self defence weapon when compared to other options like a shotgun.  They are just easy to have on or with you.  I have 380's, 38's, 357's, 9's, 40, and 45's and depending on what I am wearing and headed as to what I would carry.  No matter what, you are going to make a trade off of power and bullet size for capacity or it being able to be with you and still hidden. As well as what is the cost of your practice ammo and how often you get to shoot your gun.
The only thing I can tell you is be confidant in what you carry will work with the ammo you choose to use.  Buy the best design bullet you can and in the bullet weight of your practice ammo.  Practice often, get involved in some kind of handgun shoot (IDPA) and when you practice, every so often run a mag of your carry ammo thought you gun.
Think about driving.  Yes you know how to drive and your pretty good at it and if an emergency pops up while your behind the wheel you can handle it, but that is only because you drive everyday.  If you never drive ... You get my point.

Offline user

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
I've done a lot of thinking about this, and I've come to the conclusion that, for defensive purposes, anything over a .38 special +P or a 9x19 Luger +P is pretty much wasted firepower.  Those rounds have enough kinetic energy to shatter human bone at fifty yards, so they'll certainly do the trick at defensive distances.  I won't repeat the good comments already made about quality hollow point bullets and such, except to note my agreement. 

The next step is learning enough about anatomy and physiology, as well as practicing with the selected firearm, to be able to place those bullets effectively. 

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
Yes, I do carry a 9mm, and yes, it is enough gun with today's modern defensive ammo. The only pistol in 9mm that I presently own is a Glock 17. It is a large gun, so I usually only carry it in winter. The rest of the year it rides in my bedroom, protecting the family.

Offline Game_Stalker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
I was always taught to carry the pistol you're most comfortable and accurate with, be it .454 Cassull or .22LR. I just picked up a Sig P6 I'll be modifying to use as my CCW weapon, but if it came down to it, I'd use my Ruger Mark II if I had to.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
 i like some barrel on the 9s to feel im as good as i need.. my 225 sig shot the hottest protection rnd ,i could find..wish it had been a ccw gun i was comfotable with..a bit heavy..so i opt for keltec .380 an 38 special..

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
I have been carrying a handgun for most of the last 50+ years.Started with the 45ACP, i  have used22lr,22mag, 32,38, 357,38Super,44 both special and mag.,9x23,9mm and  327 Federal Mag.The weapon I most often carry is a KelTec P11, with the correct mag it offers 13 rounds of 9mm.I most often carry CorBon 115 gr HP's.  just my 2c       Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Actually I carry a smaller CW. I have a Kal-Tec 380 I carry 24/7. I also carry my NAA 22 Mag in my pocket. I sometimes carry my 411 S&W 40 S&W or my Sig P 6 9 mm.

Getting my holster made up for my 1911 45 ACP just in case.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 06:10:42 PM »
I carry a compact witness in 10MM. When I do carry a nine it is a Star Firestar.

Offline gru

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 07:53:41 AM »
Remember Hickok was a fairly dangerous man with a 36 Navy

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
If you are questioning the 9mm's stopping power you should test some of today's modern defensive hollow point loads. Some rounds I have tested show approx. .65 cal expansion, no core/ jacket separation and plenty of penetration. Let me see If I can gather up a few pictures of recovered bullets and see if they don't change your mind......

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Sometimes i carry a Browning HP . But think bigger is better . That said really anything 9mm, 38spl. on up to 45acp 44spl will work if you do your part. I like the debate as much as anyone and do have pets but they will all work if you are up to the task . Some maybe a tad better than others .
After saying all that  i almost always carry a j frame . One day i might wish it was a 45 acp . But it will be with me and the Colt will be in the truck .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 03:28:10 AM »
If I got it I will carry it. The Hen thinks I have an arsenal in the truck anyway.
One thing I always do thought is know what I put on me.
I consciously think about what I have and reinforce my confidence by mentally reviewing how to operate it.
There are some differences between the Sig, The Walther, and The 1911.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 03:04:53 AM »
william you got a point . i would add a little story about myself . i carry a S&W body guard airweight . always in the same place . I tried several different guns and types of carry. Well one night while on a walk i carried a 1911 in a shoulder holster under a jacket. Now we had had trouble with a guy looking in windows and shooting deer late at night . Yep that was a reason for the late night walks and also the 1911. The guy next door had sent a load of 6's toward the guy with a loud yell as a reply. He had returned if it were only one guy . Later we found out some people were growing drugs on some timber land next to our land . This is long enough so what happened is after a long slow walk i headed home . i was not using a flash light , i jumped a deer , almost stepted on it . WENT FOR THE BODY GUARD THAT WAS NOT IN MY POCKET .
No matter what i carry that bodyguard is in that same pocket now .
old habits are hard to break.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !