Author Topic: Going through Canada  (Read 593 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Going through Canada
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
Can I take ammo and powder through Canada?  Know I have to get a permit to take guns through, but wondering about ammo and powder, things I cannot ship with the movers.  Anyone know?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Going through Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »
I moved up there years ago and I remember the restrictions on guns. What I had to do was ship them with the movers, maybe they barged the stuff, but I drove up and had to go through Canada. I'm pretty sure I packed my powder and primers myself, and sent them with the movers, but can't remember if I told the movers about them or not.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
I think I saw a post that you live in or around Fairbanks. Go to the  US Fish and Wildlife Services offices there. They have guys moving back and forth all the time. They can tell you the rules, and how to go about actually getting things done.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:00:23 AM »
I think that your best bet is to call Canadian Customs. Their biggest concern probably is that you would re-sell it in Canada, and they would miss out of the sales and VAT tax.
Let us know what you find out.
Mark

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:16:16 AM »
Canada Custom does have a toll free number that works out of the US. I am guessing they would have a limit on the amount of loaded ammo powder and primers going thru. It is a pain but not much more then for a Canadian going to bring a firearm into the US these days.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:10:15 PM »
Sourdough,
     You have priviledges on Fort W and Eielson right?  Go to the TMO (Traffic Management Office or the US Customs Office that is probably co-located with them).  They handle folks PCS'ing in and out all the time and will have copies of the current regulations.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline epanzella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
I was just hunting in Ontario this November. We crossed the border at international Falls. The Canadian border guards just checked our serial nos and had us fill out a one page permit application. I was told by a friend to make sure the guns were in cases with trigger locks and they were. They never even mentioned the  ammo in the cases with the guns. On the way back the guards on the American side didn't even want to see the guns.
Ed Panzella   

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

Sourdough,
    Where are you moving to?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff