Author Topic: CVA Wolf or Buckhorn  (Read 826 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
CVA Wolf or Buckhorn
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
What kind of accuracy can I expect from these rifles.  Scoped, 200 yards, no more than 110 (ish) grains of powder.  Projectile?  Thanks.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: CVA Wolf or Buckhorn
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »
well i do like how easy the Wolf is to clean VS the buckhorn.  Both are accurate with a wide variety of conicals/sabots.  200 yards would be best with a 200-240-250gr sabot.   200 yards is a long shot under field conditions.  Both are great rifles but i lean towards the Wolf.  If you want to spend $300 on a muzzleloader, the CVA Accura would be Excellent.

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:34:55 AM »
Thanks.  I should clarify.  The 200 yard shots are only for range work (we have a 200 yard hi-power rifle range at the club).  Hunting shots would be at "normal" BP ranges.  I just wondered if I could hit a barn at 200 or not.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »
yup you can get good groups @ 200.  That kind of range just takes a good deal of practice.  Not only on the bench but more importantly, learning how to shoot that kind of distance in the field.  I'd go with the Wolf.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
Just got a Wolf for CHRISTmas.  Had one day at the range, and I am well pleased.  Stock is a little light, but seems strong enough.  Groups well right out of the box.  I shot a 320 gr. hand cast conical with 85gr. powder, and feel really confident in the little gun.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)