Author Topic: Help me buy some sheep please.  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help me buy some sheep please.
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
 OK, I've been researching hair sheep to add for meat to my place. I have a free range mostly fenceless ranch. So they will pretty well be able to roam to their hearts content. Nearest place is 15 miles away. Pastures are enhanced with many grasses, forbes and legumes on the perennial side. Also many seed blends are over seeded with braisicas and cereal crop  annuals. So in other words my land supports anything with teeth or beak. There are already mouflon and bighorn here. I was looking into american black belly and corsican. They may be the same but I don't know. Also all of the other trophy type sheep and goats. I found a link to contact farms that breed them. I currently have buffalo, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, reindeer, elk, moose and mountain goats already here. My family lives off a mix of wild game and farm raised game and livestock. We do not purchase meat from the grocery store. Any info you have on any breeds recommended would be much appreciated. Also any other species that taste good besides the goat and sheep would be helpful as well, such as red stag or african game.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Mohawk

Re: Help me buy some sheep please.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:19:40 AM »
  I did have black buck and red stag meat before. Both were great! No experience with sheep, but I do remember the black buck and New Zealand red stag. You could cut the red stag roast with a fork.  :P

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
Where da heck do you live? Dat's a long way to other folks wish I could say the same.

Axis and Fallow are some of the best eating you can get. Your place sounds like a natural for them. I'd highly recommend them to you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
I live in Montana. Closest city is Eureka 52 miles away. I have two neighbors one family at 15 then the next at 35 miles. Thanks for the help so far. I can find all kinds of fact sheets online for temperature and grazing requirements. Just need to know the names of the animals.
 I forgot, got fallow deer last year. A herd of 26, letting them get established have not tried any yet. Maybe next year.
 I will be getting the axis and red stag, have to find a few more sources though. Not real sure about the blacbuck yet need to do more research.

I have to spend $60,000 a year to upgrade my place to avoid land tax. I ordered 2 more Quonset huts and have to fertilize, lyme and seed pastures. The animals were the best I could come up with for the rest. I don't need any vehicles or farm equipment this year.
So please keep the suggestions coming. No wild boars by the way.
Thank you very much for the help.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
I would definetely NOT recommend you add hogs. That would NOT be a good move. Black buck might survive I dunno but it's pretty cold up your way for an antelope used to hot climate.

I thought MT had outlawed game farms so I guess I don't understand how you can get by with importing such a variety of animals there. I of course don't know the specifics of the law passed up there but do recall that the various game farms were stopped dead in their tracks and weren't even allowed to sell what they had not even to hunters. I kinda figured that would have ended things like you are doing with exotics. If not I'm kinda glad to hear that.

Here in Alabama we're not allowed to bring in any such at all even tho FL, TN and MS on three of the four sides of us have such game farms and allow it. Dunno about GA whether they do or don't.

I'd love to be able to live as remote as you but am not sure I could take the winters.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
The animals have to be already in the US. Found that out with the reindeer. Game farms are illegal. By MT law a game farm is a ranch in which people pay to hunt. I let the closest neighbor and from out East 2 friends and my immediate relatives hunt. There is no charge. The winters are harsh. As for cows my black angus do fine, I know they are predominant in the South. That's why I'm having to research the blackbuck. Most hoofed animals can grow a suitable coat to survive. I don't know Africa's climate besides the desert up north. Even the tropical sheep like the barbados can make it up here fine. We have about everything Tx and Az has, including jack rabbits. No hogs though thank goodness. Since we get a nice blast from the jet stream. Temp is about like North Tx or Ky. My property borders Canada.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

Offline huntfamily5

• The pursuit of happiness is your responsibility
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Hello, your posts are interesting.  I am an active duty officer and have seven years left.  I just purchased a 50+ acre ranch in Ohio anbout 40 miles West of Pittsburgh, PA.  I have hunted blackbuck in Texas and have a nice one on my wall.  I am exploring fencing in a part of my pasture and raising lackbuck or something else exotic.  I have been told be a few previous posts that blackbuck may not survie the cold winters in my area.  Do you have any infromation on their ability to manage the cold?  Thanks.

I am also expoloring painted desert hair sheep.  This may be a good option.

Travis
http://www.hunthavensranch.com