Author Topic: The Great Flood of January 2009  (Read 737 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
The Great Flood of January 2009
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Well guys the drought is over and the flood has come. We've had around 6" of rain in the past 48 hours. I won't know the final total until it ends and I can get out and check the rain gauge again. So far tho I've seen at least 4.75" in the gage and it has rained a lot since then.

Here are some photos from down around my pond at the front of my property to show you how much water has fallen so far.

The first is the overflow out of the pond. Normally there is NONE.

This is looking at the pond where the water is coming out.

Driveway side of pond looking back up at my house.

This view is from the rock wall behind my house looking at the neighbor's pasture.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Re: The Great Flood of January 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
Here are a couple more images at the pond.

This one is looking from my driveway at the inflow of water to pond.

This is a closer view of the inflow area. Normally the water is 3' to 4' below that bank.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
 Now that's a lot of rain. Hope your fish didn't take off down the creek. Look on the bright side, gonna be a lot of blueberries to eat this year. Man I love those things!
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »

We could sure use some rain like that around here. Of course in 20 minutes it would be standing like that any more. It would run right into the ground. Sand around here tends to act like that. I'd guess you have more of a clay soil up there. If the past holds true we won't start getting rain till May or June.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
WOW !
Almost boat time.
You hang in there Mr.GB.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
Glad the drought is over.
Ol pond looks good.
Good Pics.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 03:04:06 AM »
We got plenty of water around here all year. Two beaver ponds and several swamps within two miles
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline magooch

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »
Heck, we pray for droughts around here.  The river is rising as I type, but it is supposed to crest well below what would bother us.  In the area I live, we depend on pumps to keep the creek down when the river gets high, so we have to hope the power doesn't go out.  I see the county has an emergency generator parked out there by the pumps.  Good.

The good thing is that the weather is supposed to dry up tomorrow and it looks good for the weekend.
Swingem

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 03:54:54 AM »
magooch can you guys pump some of that to Georgia, their lakes are turning into swamps and all the housboats need wheels
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Questor

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:09 AM »
GB:

I see the flooding pictures, but it doesn't really tell me whether you've taken any damage? What kinds of problems is this causing for you? How much effort do you think it will be to recover? Or is it too early to tell?

In any case, best wishes for a good outcome to this.
Safety first

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 05:15:15 AM »
Reminds me of the old saying "When it rains, it pours".  Wish you could divert some of that to the west. I have a dryland cotton patch that could soak all that up and be back to about normal. No crop at all last year and not much of one the year before. If things don't change pretty quick there won't be one this year either. Hope you come through without a lot of damage.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:00:48 AM »
GB:

I see the flooding pictures, but it doesn't really tell me whether you've taken any damage? What kinds of problems is this causing for you? How much effort do you think it will be to recover? Or is it too early to tell?

In any case, best wishes for a good outcome to this.

No real problems at all for me Rudy but around the area lots of problems for folks in low lying areas. Last night on TV they showed a bingo hall somewhere in Blount Co. I think it was that the water was almost up to the top of the doors and many vehicles under water. In some areas bridges are flooded out and roads are being washed away.

In Oxford a few miles away they had a couple of tornados that took off some roofs but as far as I've heard no injury to people reported.

About the only thing affected here on my place is the water running off my barn roof didn't have a way to get gone quickly enough so the water came into the barn a bit but not enough to be a real problem. I'll need to cut a better drainage for it once things dry enough to get the tractor up there to it. I might have lost some fish to the over flow from my pond but I'm sure there will be plenty left over to replenish it. That's really about it for me personally.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »
 Here in central Texas we finally had our first appreciable rain fall two days ago. It rained for three hours straight. First time I've seen that in 16 months! Didn't know 'Bama was in a drought, though?

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »
GB, when I was through your area in early December, it still looked pretty dry.  I don't think you got a lot out of the storm that dumped snow on New Orleans.  Georgia was even worse, it did not look like Lake Lanier had come up any since the year before.  We are having a wet winter in Virginia, but a friend told me he was digging post holes about two weeks ago and the land was still dry six inches down into the ground.  Let's hope the rain keeps up.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
Back during the summer I made some holes and found it pretty dry even 12" down. Mohawk we have been in a severe drought condition for the last three or four years with most of the state in the most severe stage of drought they list. It's sure over now tho and no part of the state is considered to be in a drought.

Last year mostly caught us back up and so far this year it's really coming down.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 03:10:18 PM »
Thats what ya call a Toad Frog Floatin Rain. :o Waters deep enough to wash the lint out of ya belly button.

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »
My pond is still at least a ft or so low for this time of year. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm